X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cartidge Manufacture

http://www.archive.org/stream/cartridgemanufa00hamigoog

http://openlibrary.org/search?q=cartridge+manufacture

I always liked to think that if I couldn't get ammo that it wouldn't be too hard to make. This treatise demystifies some of the actual making. Although the processes are industrial, they are turn of the 19th/20th century and me be amendable to clever 21st century re-inventiveness.

Re: Cartidge Manufacture

The overhead would be awfully steep if you were just planning on making your own. For what you'd spend on equipment to make brass, you could buy a three-lifetime supply.

And if you planned on making any for anyone else, the permits and inspection equipment that you'd be required to have, along with the insurance costs, would probably keep you out of the business anyway.

When they got into the cartridge business back in the day, they didn't have to have Government permits, laser and ultrasonic inspection, ISO certified feedstock producers, and an Umbrella liability policy.

And they could hire Goober and his brother to yank the lever on an arbor press for $0.25/day each, probably. No OSHA inspectors, no unemployment, no workmen's comp, and so on and so forth.

Alle Kunst ist umsunst Wenn ein Engel auf das Zundloch brunzet (All skill is in vain if an angel pisses down the touch-hole of your musket.) Old German Folk Wisdom.

Comment

the post may have had in mind, a time when there WERE no government regulations or controls. In that scenario, a clever fellow could make ammo long after most folks had run out.

Many of the things we use today, including guns and ammo, are really children of the Industrial Revolution, and can be made with fairly simple tools, no electricity and no computers.
      may the Bonnie Blue wave forever

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Comment

I'm not suggesting anyone should start a commercial manufactury based on this post. Given that, even now, there are reported shortages of popular ammunition types; someone armed with the knowledge of how to form cartidges from sheet metal (Brass) with basic machining and shop practice could produce this very critical ammunition component on their own.

Cartridges aren't 20th or 21st century technologies. They are a product of the 19th century. By the turn of the 19th to the 20th century it was a mature technology. Firearms have advanced steadily since then but bullets remain pretty much the same. The explosion of machine tool technologies and the wide availability of shop and motorized hand tools put the processes presented in thise treatise in reach of the home shop mechanic.

Up till now the availlability of readily availlable and reloadable cartridges neccesitated only that a reloader obtain the components, a press, some knowledge, and some practice to produce useable ammunition. The bulk of reloadable cartridges have been military surplus.The curent political climate along with the requirements of our military combined with "through the roof" firearms sales seem to be contributing to a shortage of popular cartridges. Future government interference may further exacerbate ammo shortages.

Comment

Working...
        X