Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone used the Federal Flitecontrol buckshot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone used the Federal Flitecontrol buckshot?

I am looking to extend my effective range of my open choke 870. Currently I am using the Mossberg Breacher barrel. 00 buck spreads to about 20 plus inches at 20 to 25 yards. I heard the Flitecontrol can give you another 10 yards of effective range.

Re: Anyone used the Federal Flitecontrol buckshot?

Is this the knockoff from "Black Cloud" Deformed shot to stabalize trajectory? First time I have seen this mentioned. Given buckshot on a store shelf is a rare thing these days I have not had the chance to try it. I would love to find a box somewhere but to date since the election ammo is so hard to come by.

To resolve this problem I started a few threads that didn't take off and will resort to making my own ammo to meet specific needs and threats.

Pictures to come soon. I was able to locate a brick of 209 primers and now am looking for a material that will "Buffer" my shot. I was thinking about corn starch or styrofoam pellets used to stuff toys so the shot will pattern better.

Let me know if you find a box and how it shoots.

Comment

Buckshot patterns are 99% controlled by the amount and type of choke. Improvements in shotshell wadding, buffering, pellet hardness and plating have helped to some degree but if you want to really improve patterns at longer distances you'll need to either buy a screw choked barrel or have your barrel threaded. There are tubes made specifically made for buckshot, I have one made by Kicks Industries that will consistently place at least six pellets from a standard nine pellet load of 00 inside a 20" circle @40 yards. With plated loads, I can do well out to 50 yards. Past this a slug should be the round of choice for just about any shotgun.
      "some people never let their given word interfere if something they want comes along"
      The real problem with the world are laws preventing culling.

Comment

Did you find the ammo? If so what was the price and damage to a plywood target?

FWIW, I have invented something NASTY!!!

Nobody had buckshot and the lee reloader does not have a shot setting for OO anyway. So I figured "Volume" is how the shot is placed in the shell by the the charger and the weight is how the powder is measured?

This being the case and since the local China-Mart didn't have any toy stuffing beads in either styrofoam or plastic I came up with a novel idea. IT PATTERENED TIGHT, much tighter than anything store purchased. I know the mass and penetration wasn't what I expected and some of the pellets were not counted so either they went through the same holes or went astray.

This is how it was done:

I used the standard remington shells 7.5 load 2 3/4 inch from the W0mart bulk pack $25 for 100 = .25 cents per round. I used Federal 209A primers and a Winchester AA wad. I went with Bullseye because the book said thats what a light field load uses and then weighed the pellets to match the shot that would be found in a regular load. Since none of the local reloading stores have buckshot, I got a couple of boxes of the Crossman 1/4 inch steel slingshot pellets 250 per plastic box about $5. Then I got some solid styrofoam planks that are found in any product that is packaged secure. I used acetone and Q-tips (The cotton and paper ones DO NOT TRY THE PLASTIC ONES since they melt)

Those are the things required to make this shell. I took the planks and then used a shotshell and drilled down into the packing material. Once a core was cut. I punched out the core with a pin punch to get it out of the plastic shotshell. With the core out, I then dipped the Q-tip into the acetone and touched it to the core and it would melt the styrofoam so I could implant one of the steel balls. They get glued down into the core when the melted plastic hardens. I primed, then powder and add wad then slid the core into the shotshell and crimped the top.

When tested it patterned tight at 30 yards almost like a pre-fragmented slug. Multiple impacts all close, you can try this but watch the load and be careful. Your results may not be the same and I can say it does drop more than I expected, not sure why? What I liked about this was the cost is way below the $7 for box of 5 00 buck and I think it patterns better.

For my next project it is a steel core slug

Comment

One of the local gun shops had 5 boxes. I bought all of them. I had patterned the gun before using standard federal 00 in the 18 1/2" breecher barrel. the pattern at 20 yards was about 20".
          With this new federal at 20 yards it was the size of my palm or about 5". At 25 yards it went to about 10 inches. at 35 yards it was not very predictable but it averaged about 30 inches plus or minus.

I only shot 5 rounds. I would like to shoot more at 35 to get a better feel.

I also tried the tru-ball buckshot compared to standard winchester rifled slugs.

three shot groups at 35 yards netted about 5 inches with each. However, the tru-ball grouped closer to the bullseye or center of the target than the winchester. My barrel tends to pattern to the right with both types. The wads of the Tru-ball impacted at about dead center.

I did not check for penetration. I will next time. I also did not mention that the new Federal was low recoil. It was more noticable than bird shot but not as bad as regular Federal. The brass appears to be between regular loads and high brass with a muzzle vel. of about 1150 FPS.

Given that my barrel was an open choke, I was satisfied with the results. Up close look out. I gained the desired ten yards or so of effective range.

I cant wait to try it with my other shotguns using full and modifed chokes.

Comment

Working...
          X