.223 Military vs Commercial

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• .223 Military vs Commercial

My son-in-law has a Bushmaster but it keeps jamming. I believe he is using military .223 ammo. I have heard that the commercial .223 is dimensionally slightly different than the .223 military ammo. Is this true, and would that make a difference? Thanks.

Re: .223 Military vs Commercial

There CAN be slight differences in the chamber and military ammunition is loaded slightly hotter than commercial ammunition, but a Bushmaster shouldn't be affected. Unless we're talking about the original one. He has one that looks just like an M-16, right?

Comment

Yes. Got it at a show around two years ago, thus don't really know the age. May be a mag issue. Thanks.

Comment

What sort of malfunction? Round not feeding into the chamber? How far does it go before hanging? Not extracting? Ejecting? Give us a bit more info, we might be able to help.....
        "some people never let their given word interfere if something they want comes along"
        The real problem with the world are laws preventing culling.

Comment

Not sure. Will try to get it and fire it myself. I think it ejects, but doesn't chamber the round. Just cannot remember. Thanks.

Comment

http://www.bushmaster.com/faqs/?f=62

Question / IssueAmmunition, .223 & 5.56mm
            Answer / SolutionAll Bushmaster rifles are chambered to accept 5.56mm ammunition and always have been. The NATO Spec 5.56mm chambers have a longer "leade" or throat than the SAAMI Spec .223 caliber chambers which have about half of the leade or throat of the 5.56mm chambering. While it is safe to fire both 5.56mm and .223 caliber ammunition in our rifles, the 5.56mm ammunition should not be fired in rifles chambered in .223 caliber as they will develop very high pressures.
            "SI *VIS *PACEM, *PARA *BELLUM"
            http://survivalblog.com
            MOLON LABE!
            AC0XV

Comment

There is no 'military' 223. Just 5.56 and Bushy's are chambered for that round not 223.

What type of Bushy is it? What type of round is it?

If it is the 5.56 brit stuff, that was loaded a little light so it didn't ruin their bullpup. SA85?
              Anyone can find problems, Leaders find solutions!

Comment

Now I'm concerned! Is it OK to shoot mil surplus 5.56 in a Mini-14? This is gettting complicated. ;-)

Comment

This is a tough situation to help with, sans details, but just a few pointers. This is basic, but make sure the rifle has been properly cleaned according to the manual. The first time I took apart my AR I missed some steps, and honestly it is a fairly complicated machine. Secondly, and this is probably more important, the AR works well "wet". Wet being well oiled. My marine friend said he kept his drenched for the 10 years he was in, and never had a problem. Get a can of Rem oil spray and hose it down (within reason), everywhere but the gas tube. it maybe a bit counter intuitive, but try it, and let us know if it works.

Comment

The Mini-14 has a 5.56 chamber - From Ruger manual page 11 ...

AMMUNITION
                    The RUGER® MINI-14® RANCH RIFLES are chambered for the .223
                    Remington (5.56mm) cartridge. The Ranch Rifle is designed to use either
                    standardiz U.S. military or factory loaded sporting .223 (5.56mm) cartridges
                    manufactured in accordance with U.S. industry practice. See “Ammunition
                    Notice” & “Ammunition Warning”, below.

Comment

Thanks to all for the responses. Very helpful. As soon as i can get my hands on my son-in-law's AR I'll see what the malfunction is.
                      Also, re:Ruger, once again, it pays to read the manual!

Comment

The .223/5.56 Nato controversy is about the same as the .308/7.62 Nato issue.

There is a difference. But a modern rifle in good condition won't notice it. And since there aren't any antique rifles chambered in either .223 or 5.56 Nato, it shouldn't be even a potential issue there, other than perhaps the hardness of the primers in some few instances.

Be it noted that I'm talking commercial or milspec ammo here. If you are loading your own, YMMV. And I do know some folks who have had legitimate trouble with Russian manufactured ammo. But beyond that? If it won't feed or load reliably, it's the firearm or the mag, not the ammo.
                        Alle Kunst ist umsunst Wenn ein Engel auf das Zundloch brunzet (All skill is in vain if an angel pisses down the touch-hole of your musket.) Old German Folk Wisdom.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveBob View Post
                          Now I'm concerned! Is it OK to shoot mil surplus 5.56 in a Mini-14? This is gettting complicated. ;-)
                          nothing complicated about it, shoot the 5.56mm NATO ammo all you want, that is what it is chambered for.

i do not know wht some gun Mfgrs. stamp their lowers ".223 Rem." when they know damn well the barrel will be chambered for 5.56mm NATO

Comment

How can you advise someone to clean the rifle IAW the manual then suggest you run it wet? No place in the manual does it say to run the gun wet. If you are around sand and dust, you just make a mud ball and ask for trouble. ARs are better run properly lubed, not over lubed. ARs are not like a woman in all areas.

Originally posted by combfoot View Post
                            This is a tough situation to help with, sans details, but just a few pointers. This is basic, but make sure the rifle has been properly cleaned according to the manual. The first time I took apart my AR I missed some steps, and honestly it is a fairly complicated machine. Secondly, and this is probably more important, the AR works well "wet". Wet being well oiled. My marine friend said he kept his drenched for the 10 years he was in, and never had a problem. Get a can of Rem oil spray and hose it down (within reason), everywhere but the gas tube. it maybe a bit counter intuitive, but try it, and let us know if it works.
                            There is no I' n team!
                            www.cjcs-supply.net
                            There are three types of people in the world: 1. Those that can count. 4. Those that can't.
                            So, am I your man Mr. Dumbass? The name, is Dumaas!

Comment

Actually the Bushmaster manual does request "Generiously lubricate all moving parts in the lower receiver". this can be found on page 11 of the Bushmaster manual. There are also other references on the pages, and a quick google search will indicate general consensus is that the AR needs more than normal amounts of lubricant. The manual can be found on http://www.ar15.com/content/manuals/...bushmaster.pdf

try it, let us know if it fixes the problem.

Comment

Working...
                              X