Wolf 7.62x39

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wolf 7.62x39

Okay, can some member tell me the differences beween Wolf Military Classic in JHP and FMJ and the black box FMJ and JHP. I know about the differences in the cases and coatings, but not about accuracy and especially terminal performance.

Re: Wolf 7.62x39

The older ammo was more accurate IMHO. I shot that caliber back when ammo was $46 per case. The smell has changed and so has the bullet components so this is why the new stuff isn't near as good IMHO and due to the cost of the ammo now I have done away with all the guns that shoot that caliber. Didn't say AK's are bad, its just I don't shoot them in that caliber anymore. FWIW I was never that impressed with any AK's accuracy or the configuration of the rifle but thats just me.

Comment

Somebody here must have an opinion on the virtues and failings of these rounds as currently produced.

Comment

If this is the correct site, do a search on Yoda. He tested everything under the sun in 7.62x39. If all you want is opinion then I'd say that the different versions are not what we'd expect to find, function-wise. The hollowpointed version is, IN MY OPINION, the Russians" attempt at satisfying the market place. It most decidedly is not a much more effective bullet for hunting. When the hollowpoints first started coming out, several reasons were given. The most obvious one was that it was a hunting round. The other was that it was a match round. Both, IN MY OPINION, are laughable. The hollowpoints typically don't expand like a hollowpoint bullet should on game. And while we are on that subject, how many of us own 5 round magazines for their AK as required by many states when hunting ? And when was the last time you saw anyone using an AK or even an SKS at a typical accuracy match? Now I'm sure that the floodgates will soon open up and that there are many intrepid souls who will soon chime in that these rounds are the best thing since sliced bread and that they've slain wooly mammoths one week and won Camp Perry leg points the next. But, IN MY OPINION, the hollowpoints were nothing more than a marketing ploy.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Marshall View Post
          If this is the correct site, do a search on Yoda. He tested everything under the sun in 7.62x39. If all you want is opinion then I'd say that the different versions are not what we'd expect to find, function-wise. The hollowpointed version is, IN MY OPINION, the Russians" attempt at satisfying the market place. It most decidedly is not a much more effective bullet for hunting. When the hollowpoints first started coming out, several reasons were given. The most obvious one was that it was a hunting round. The other was that it was a match round. Both, IN MY OPINION, are laughable. The hollowpoints typically don't expand like a hollowpoint bullet should on game. And while we are on that subject, how many of us own 5 round magazines for their AK as required by many states when hunting ? And when was the last time you saw anyone using an AK or even an SKS at a typical accuracy match? Now I'm sure that the floodgates will soon open up and that there are many intrepid souls who will soon chime in that these rounds are the best thing since sliced bread and that they've slain wooly mammoths one week and won Camp Perry leg points the next. But, IN MY OPINION, the hollowpoints were nothing more than a marketing ploy.
          Agreed. Wolf said "you want HP rounds? Fine, here they are".

FWIW, I always got FMJ black box from Wolf and it was always accurate enough for what I wanted to do with it. Never bothered with Military Classic or HP of any flavor.

Comment

before I sold off my SKS and AK rifles, I used a variety of ammo. Most was old milsurp,but wolf was at a good price, and I plinked with it.
            I can't remember any real difference between the black box and the military classic stuff.
            None of my 7.62x39 rifles were particularly accurate, and I was not shooting for group size. All of it functioned just fine.

had to chuckle at Duncan M's
            I shot that caliber back when ammo was $46 per case
            This was in an email this morning, from Ammoman.com
            7.62X39 RUSSIAN MILITARY CLASSIC
            FMJ - FULL METAL JACKET
            NON CORROSIVE BRAND NEW AMMO
            100% NEW POLYMER COATING
            $359- 1,000 rounds - DELIVERED
            wow!.............and they are from from the most expensive
            Last edited by Mannlicher; May 19th, 2009, 07:43.
            may the Bonnie Blue wave forever

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Comment

The fanciest imported 7.62x39 I've ever shot has been the Wolf "Black Box" stuff. It's reliable as it gets.

Given the accuracy limitations of the platforms (AK's or SKS's), I don't think that the improvement in performance from some supposedly better grade of ammo would be worth more than about $10/1000 rounds to me.

YMMV, but you aren't going to get 1" groups at 100 yards out of an AK or an SKS, regardless of the ammo you are using. If going from 4" from 3", or from 3" to 2", is that important to you, it might help some. But that's about the limit.

Don't get me wrong. I love my AK's and SKS's for what they do, but if I want serious accuracy, I'm going to be using another platform and caliber. If I want rugged, reliable, and to be able to hit a man sized target out to 250 or 300 yards, 7.62x39 is fine. If I want to make head shots at 200 or 300 yards, I'm going to go with something else. I've got other clubs in the bag.

Alle Kunst ist umsunst Wenn ein Engel auf das Zundloch brunzet (All skill is in vain if an angel pisses down the touch-hole of your musket.) Old German Folk Wisdom.

Comment

Thought I should add...for what it's worth, the Wolf black box ran real good in my AR15, also. Never a jam and more than accurately enough for anything I was doing with it.

Comment

Working...
                X