Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

can you load flechettes in a shotgun round?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can you load flechettes in a shotgun round?

just curious. ive seen them sold...sometimes for astronomical amounts. but have wondered about the legality of it.

Re: can you load flechettes in a shotgun round?

Originally posted by ironjaw83 View Post
    just curious. ive seen them sold...sometimes for astronomical amounts. but have wondered about the legality of it.
    felony in many states... check your state laws.

Comment

It may be due to regulations that might be one of the only options for self preservation. My thoughts are not to waste the money on the metal darts when finish nails with the heads flattened by a hammer will do the same thing. Right now with all the laws coming out about lead in shells...Bla..Bla...Blah. Those PC nails converted into protective loads might be one of the few alternatives.

After all if they ban the guns or make ammo hard to get there won't be much of a legal issue now will there? They have Slingshot rounds that would do far more damage than the lead 00 buck and they are hardened steel priced less than the hornady rounds I saw at a local reloading shop. There is also the Zink or Copper plated BB's for a regular Daisy air-gun. Rebar would make an awesome slug or even compressed metals for a masterlock key.

I think the more Government makes rules the higher the chance people will do what is necessary to remain safe and free, but that is JMO and it aint too humble.

Comment

The "legality of it" may not even begin to address the consequences of using exotic ammunition against anyone, even to stop a criminal assault.

There is a legal prohibiton against inflicting unecessary pain and suffering, and should you 'flechette' someone then all of their pain is going to be your pain in Civil court. Any even half-sober lawyer can argue a case against your "evil mindset" and probably come out with a Civil judgement against your estate.

The very safest way to survive the assault, in and out of the Courts, is to call local law enforcement and ask them what they load. Then buy and practice with and use only that load. It's very likely this will be Federal Tactical Reduced Recoil 00 Buck.

In the event of use, no one can possibly argue against your judgement without directly challenging the police department's. And your "victim" or his grieving relatives and their lawyer would have no case.
        Last edited by Logan7; March 3rd, 2009, 04:31.

Comment

all is fair in love and war...............

i'm just sayin

Comment

All I can comment is that yes, you can. I've done it, and they work just fine.

Legality, I won't offer an opinion, because I'm not sure. I think it depends on your State laws. I had a ball when I moved South, because Buckshot was illegal to have on your person if you had a firearm outside your house in Wisconsin.

I figure that Flechette rounds would be somewhere in the same "State Game Law" area.
            Alle Kunst ist umsunst Wenn ein Engel auf das Zundloch brunzet (All skill is in vain if an angel pisses down the touch-hole of your musket.) Old German Folk Wisdom.

Comment

For a while there were some experiments with flechettes in some sort of an explosive device, and it was found that bent flechettes (that got bent in the explosion) were a lot more destructive than plain old straight ones.
              The Washington Government can take their “Global Empire” and shove it up their “Pelosi”!

Comment

The original lead sheets cut into strips make terrible wounds from shotguns. No extra costs.
                Youth And Brawn Are No Match For Age And Treachery.
                I'm Old And May Not Fight. I'll Shoot Instead.

USMC 1959/1963

Comment

As noted, I have loaded flechettes. And they are way too expensive for what they do on the other end.

3/8" finishing nails do just as well, and are way cheaper. They're a bit rough on your barrel, but if you load them in a plastic shot sleeve, it minimizes the damage to the bore.

Wrap them with a twist tie before loading them into the shell. It keeps them all oriented the same direction for about 0.1 second, which helps too.

At 10 yards, they'll do ugly. At 15 yards, they are tumbling. At 20? Better to go with buckshot at that range, but for indoors?

Don't ask me how I know that, because it might have been illegal where I did it, so I'm not saying nothing more.

Alle Kunst ist umsunst Wenn ein Engel auf das Zundloch brunzet (All skill is in vain if an angel pisses down the touch-hole of your musket.) Old German Folk Wisdom.

Comment

I don't know why you couldn't load them, since you can by them in loaded ammo.

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/catalo...specialty-ammo

I have heard that flechette ammo was not very effective, and shortly abandoned by the military.

Comment

Working...
                    X