Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Found a new source for lead

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Found a new source for lead

    I was goofing around at the range the other day and decided to walk about over by the trap section since they weren't shooting that day. I scooped up about 4-5 lbs of lead off the ground in about 10 minutes. It looks to be mostly 7 or 8 shot but I plan on melting it down for casting. If you've got a trap range you might want to check it out.

    Randy

  • #2
    Re: Found a new source for lead

    A local shop/range used to sell the chunks that fell out the back of his range. He'd pull a few hundred a week on that stuff.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Found a new source for lead

      From listening/reading/watching news reports we ought to be able to squeeze quite a bit of it out of small children.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Found a new source for lead

        Originally posted by MartinS View Post
        From listening/reading/watching news reports we ought to be able to squeeze quite a bit of it out of small children.
        And even more out of Chinese toys!

        But the thought about hitting the trap range is a good one. Some of us are worried enough about finding reloading supplies that we are looking seriously at lead castings, and any source of reusable lead is useful!

        Alle Kunst ist umsunst Wenn ein Engel auf das Zundloch brunzet (All skill is in vain if an angel pisses down the touch-hole of your musket.) Old German Folk Wisdom.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Found a new source for lead

          With the Vampire nation we are in now, I am thinking silver might be another option.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Found a new source for lead

            if times get really hard parking lots at Walmart and Cosco can be a huge source of lead....
            incoming rounds have the right of way.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Found a new source for lead

              If you are removing anything from private property I think I'd check with the owner or manager first. They may have a program to recycle the shot themselves.

              flashguy
              When they ask me, "Paper or plastic?" I just say, "Doesn't matter to me. I am bi-sacksual."

              Texan by choice, not accident of birth

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Found a new source for lead

                Originally posted by flashguy View Post
                If you are removing anything from private property I think I'd check with the owner or manager first. They may have a program to recycle the shot themselves.

                flashguy
                Do you mean at the Range, or on the Walmart parking lot?



                Walmart or any of the auto part stores sell wheel-weight pullers, don't you know?

                Getting out of wiseacre mode, I'd note that it depends on your shooting range. Mine doesn't recycle nothing, and most "Public" ranges are the same way. A private one, OTOH? I would ask first, there.
                Alle Kunst ist umsunst Wenn ein Engel auf das Zundloch brunzet (All skill is in vain if an angel pisses down the touch-hole of your musket.) Old German Folk Wisdom.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Found a new source for lead

                  Why don't you just go by a tire store and ask them for the weights? They have to pay a hazmat fee to dispose of the materials and it would make sense to ask before you start helping yourself. Makes shooters look bad if we are common thiefs.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Found a new source for lead

                    Originally posted by Duncan M View Post
                    Why don't you just go by a tire store and ask them for the weights? They have to pay a hazmat fee to dispose of the materials and it would make sense to ask before you start helping yourself. Makes shooters look bad if we are common thiefs.
                    Once upon a time, that was true, and it was a readily available "free" source.
                    Nowadays, every one I've checked with has someone who pays them by the pound for it when they come pick it up.


                    The practice may be different in your AO, and it may come back to that point if the price of lead continues to go down, but right now they aren't giving it away.
                    Alle Kunst ist umsunst Wenn ein Engel auf das Zundloch brunzet (All skill is in vain if an angel pisses down the touch-hole of your musket.) Old German Folk Wisdom.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Found a new source for lead

                      You can not buy wheel wights in WA state any more tire shops say the us gov. will not let them sell the lead any more , the one shop I went to showed me a letter that the lead in harmful to the puplic.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Found a new source for lead

                        Originally posted by jagdkampf View Post
                        I was goofing around at the range the other day and decided to walk about over by the trap section since they weren't shooting that day. I scooped up about 4-5 lbs of lead off the ground in about 10 minutes. It looks to be mostly 7 or 8 shot but I plan on melting it down for casting. If you've got a trap range you might want to check it out.

                        Randy
                        Have you tried that yet?

                        I was told that the lead alloy of shot is different from the lead alloy of bullets, one must have more antimony that the other.

                        Also that the alloy of tire weights was not the same as needed for cast bullets.
                        The Washington Government can take their “Global Empire” and shove it up their “Pelosi”!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Found a new source for lead

                          Originally posted by MartinS View Post
                          From listening/reading/watching news reports we ought to be able to squeeze quite a bit of it out of small children.
                          The Communist Chinese toy industry is going to cause a lead shortage!
                          The Washington Government can take their “Global Empire” and shove it up their “Pelosi”!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Found a new source for lead

                            If you can melt it, mold it, weigh it, and load by bullet weight.

                            Moly coat it if you feel the need.

                            It's a whole lot better than shooting nothing, even if it is a lower density. Compensate in your load, and all will be well.

                            Alle Kunst ist umsunst Wenn ein Engel auf das Zundloch brunzet (All skill is in vain if an angel pisses down the touch-hole of your musket.) Old German Folk Wisdom.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Found a new source for lead

                              Originally posted by Old Man of the Mountain View Post
                              Have you tried that yet?

                              I was told that the lead alloy of shot is different from the lead alloy of bullets, one must have more antimony that the other.

                              Also that the alloy of tire weights was not the same as needed for cast bullets.
                              Wheel weights make excellent pistol bullets. They do need to be hardened with antimony and/or tin like for rifle bullets and even then the velocity needs to be kept down or you will have leading in the barrel. Really good rifle bullets can be made from linotype from printing shops if you can find one that still uses it. I also like linotype for 44 mag bullets!

                              For Black Powder wheel weights are too hard as they need pure lead bullets. An excellent source for this is Xray rooms that are being remodeled as they are required to replace their lead sheilding every so often. Right now under my gun room is about 800 pounds of it and it was just one partial wall of an Xray room a buddy remodeled for the hospital. He has the rest and it is over 2 TONS!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X