Wolf 75gr 223 polymar coated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wolf 75gr 223 polymar coated

Anyone have any trigger time with this stuff in an AR-15??
    God,grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,courage to change the things I can,and the wisdom to know the difference.

Re: Wolf 75gr 223 polymar coated

I had heard stories of Wolf "sticking" in hot AR chambers if you go through a string of fire, the gun gets hot and it would melt the laquer, and then essentially glue the round into the chamber. I fired a lot of that stuff up with zero problems, but never dumped a beta mag and then left a round in the hot chamber either. What I liked about it is that I could leave the "brass" where I shot out in the woods and it would camo itself right in. One good cycle of the weather and it would start to rust up, making it very difficult for anyone to verify where I had been training, and I don' think it would be very easy to run ballistics test on it at that point, or dump my brass at a crime scene and then try to blame the incident on me. That stuff would start breaking down shortly after firing.

The polymer coated ammo was supposedly done to correct that situation, and the prevent the ammo from corrosion in extreme environments. It supposedly did not have the "glue itself into the chamber" problem that the lacquer coated ammo had, and was even more waterproof. It also seems to cycle "slicker". I think

I bought and sold cases of wolf ammo up to mid 2005 and had zero problems with any Wolf ammo, just being somewhat careful not to heat up a tight chambered .223 and then leaving a round in the chamber with the laquer coated stuff. I rotated my stock by supplying a couple of local gun shops so I always had what was relatively new from Wolf.

I started out with about $1,000 worth of Dillon reloading equipment for .223 but found it was not worth the hassle with Wolf on the market. I did better buying my four to ten cases of Wolf at every gun show, selling around half, shooting up a case or two, and then stockpiling the rest. Basically, profits paid for what I fired up, and the stockpile was a buffer between being able to keep up with buyers between gun shows and stocking all of the calibers I needed since I was not buying every caliber at every show.
    Last edited by RT; January 3rd, 2009, 12:55.
    Life, Liberty and the pursuit of those who threaten them.

Comment

The information I have read is that it ok for training and plinking. Not as great accuracy wise and poorer fragmentation than the brass cased stuff.

But you would be better suited to get the brass cased 75gr OTM from Wolf or the Privi Partisan 75gr OTM rounds. ( they are the same round and maker) Their performance has been very good and fragmentation is better. I am going to be using the Privi Partisan 75gr OTM in my SPR and use Black Hills 75gr OTM as well.

JMHO
      Tread

Comment

thanls for the good feedback!!
        God,grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,courage to change the things I can,and the wisdom to know the difference.

Comment

I have never dealt specifically with the 75gr bullets. I have shot some 55 or so grain Wolf through an AR though. My uncle shoots laquer stuff all the time. Can't hit anything with it hardly, but it doesn't seem to gum up the works to bad. What is the deal with the 75gr bullet though. Trying to turn the .223 into a .308, or does the bullet weight help with cheap ammo inconsistencies, barrel twist? why use this stuff?

Comment

The Mk12 MOD 0 and MOD1 SPR's are one of the deadly tools now in use with the US Army, Special Forces etc.... The ammo they are using is actually 77gr SMK OTM. It is a devastating round on soft targets. The track record with it is impressive. The long range accuracy, stability and fragmentation are what they are looking to achieve. The 75gr is a notch below it and has performed well in the accuracy area. The best twist for it and the 77gr is ideally 1 /7.7. However 1 /7 or 1/8 seem to do ok as well. It depends on the barrel to some degree as well. Some barrels like it others simply don;t for whatever reason.

The 75gr is a nice round for hogs and deer as well.

Tread

Comment

Saw it on a site while surfing, price seemed gosd compared to BLack Hills 75 gr. I was interested in the polymer vs laquer coat. Thought about trying a few in my Colt 16 " HBAR, 1/9 twist.

Comment

Working...
              X