Spam can Chinese 7.62X39?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spam can Chinese 7.62X39?

All the Chinese I bought years ago came either on stripper clips or packed in twenty round boxes, these then packed in cardboard boxes. I just got a 550 round "spam" can, sealed with what looks to be lead. Anyone have any idea what this stuff might be, my Chinese is a bit rusty.
    "some people never let their given word interfere if something they want comes along"
    The real problem with the world are laws preventing culling.

Re: Spam can Chinese 7.62X39?

most likely its steel core

Comment

very good stuff. at one time it was the cheapest ammo you could get but happened to be the most accurate.

Comment

Can this be checked with a magnet? If it is steel core does this make it any more valuable?
        "some people never let their given word interfere if something they want comes along"

Comment

back in the day....steel core got banned because pistols where being made available that chambered that round....it was considered Armor piercing and could defeat body armour.....but in fact all the round had was/is a very hard metal striker inside the jacket....

snip off a tip w/a set of dikes....or dangle a bullet by the very tip with a magnet.....these rounds are steel case copper wash

they are considered more valuable by some....mostly because everyone that had this stuff back when....pissed it all away because it was soo cheap....

me thinks it was made to defeat light amour....

Comment

Here is a link to identify it.

http://www.ak-47.us/Article_Detail.p...tent1146681053

Comment

Yep, this stuff is steel cored. Now all I gotta do is find someone around here to trade me some Barnaul for it since BN is what all my Commie rifles are zero'd (ha-Ha!) with.

Comment

Yeah I need to find somebody to trade me this sealed can for a 1000rds of regular lead core, non-corrosive stuff!

Comment

Hawk45........thanks for the ammo id link.........great site for info.

Comment

It is actually pretty soft steel and not a whole lot more AP capable than the regular ammo, or the "bi-metal jacket" ammo imported more recently from Russia, but the Chicom spam can ammo was actually match grade ammo, and back in the late 1980s we all thought it was just BS to call it "Match" ammo, but you match that stuff up with one of the milled receiver Polytech AKs and you will be flat amazed at the accuracy. You also get a bunch of free SKS clips with it.

I had a Norinco downfolder AK back in 1989 that would outshoot my Springfield M1A National Match rifle with iron sights any day of the week, and I won plenty of bets against other Marines with it. Back then I tended to qualify Sharpshooter more often than Expert, and I still beat Experts who used the M1A but had regular (US Made) UMC yellow box factory ammo.

I read elsewhere that the Chinese ammo manufacturers used steel as a "filler" because it was cheaper than lead and that they were getting some sort of optimum bullet weight, balance and shape with the bullet design they were using, but it was less accurate with the regular lead core.

I mean that Chicom AK with the spam can match ammo was downright uncanny, I could nail 1 quart oil bottles all day long, consistently, at 100 yards.

I heard the stuff was pretty amazing in SKS rifles too, and an SKS with Chicom steel core ammo and one of those Chicom military scopes that used to be only $20 was actually a pretty capable sniper rifle at moderate ranges.
                    Life, Liberty and the pursuit of those who threaten them.

Comment

Friend of mine got a BIG surprise when he opened a spam can of this stuff! For some reason ALL of it had BLACK painted tips. Needless to say he put it back for a rainey day in US ammo cans.

Sometimes you DO get lucky. For myself I would open the span can and see what it is and have some good US ammo cans to put it in, just in case.

Comment

What do black painted tips mean?
                        nWo For Life, Brother!

Comment

Normally that means AP ammo (Armor Piercing) according to the NATO codes, not sure what it would mean for Chicom. Their tracers usually had green tips if I remember correctly, but sometimes would make them with red tips for the "export" (to us) market.
                          Life, Liberty and the pursuit of those who threaten them.

Comment

The Chinese Black tips are API (Armor Piercing Incindeary). Not much of the I part, but there IS enough to lite off a cars gas tank if hit with it.

Currently they are being sold on Gunbroker for $30 for a 10 round stripper clip full.

Comment

Never had any 7.62x39 in the spam cans but I still have 10 cans of the Chinese .308 in 330rd spam cans- I recall they were also copper washed but have no clue about the type of bullet it carrys.

Mark
                              REMEMBER:
                              If you do settle in Texas and bear children, don't think we will accept them as Texans.
                              After all, if the cat had kittens in the oven, we ain't gonna call'em biscuits.

Comment

Working...
                              X