Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I keep buying hirtenbuger for 38 cents/round?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I keep buying hirtenbuger for 38 cents/round?

I have a buddy that is selling me a bunch of his 7.62x51 Hirtenburger for 38 cents a round. I have 2 .50 cal ammo cans of it packed loose. I am not sure if I should get any more because it's berdan primed and doesn't seem like that good of a price. Should I get as much as I can or is it just a mediocre price?

Re: Should I keep buying hirtenbuger for 38 cents/round?

back when it was available I got it for under 25cts/rd IIRC. Nowadays the only thing that cheap is Pakistani sefl-destruct charges (I'm just buying into the general opinion I hear about it there). I see Lithuanian (NATO-spec ?) for ridiculous prices above 40cts/rd and anything commercial is always above 50cts/rd. Since it's Hirts, that seems like a good price, particularly since I heard the supply was about gone back about 4 years ago (I got mine in 2002).

Are you sure that it's Berdan and Hirts ? All my Hirts, which was ~1980 manufacture, was Boxer. Some people seem to equate DAG with Hirts, and that's Berdan as I've seen it.
    When government shifts from defining what is wrong, with the direct implication that all else is acceptable, to defining what is right, with the insidious suggestion that all else may be suspect if not subversive, then we are well on the way to a police state.

Business, society and government all exist solely to serve the interests of the people. Of, By, For.

Comment

ANY 7.62 NATO you can get for under $.50 a round is a bargain right now and in the forseeable future!

You can bet the farm the one of the FIRST EO's that Obamanation will sign is the stop of surplus ammo into the US. Its for the children and the UN after all.

Comment

I'll take a thousand if he wants to unload it
        Thanks

Comment

Same as Stainless!
          I got enough from Southern Ammo when they called it tarnished or dented (not) at about $.08 per round. Still have a bunch but no 1919ar to burn it in.
          Got plenty of ammo.....but just ordered some more .223 from Aim.

I'll buy every chance I get.
          Youth And Brawn Are No Match For Age And Treachery.
          I'm Old And May Not Fight. I'll Shoot Instead.

USMC 1959/1963

Comment

He said he thinks it's hirteburger but it might be IMI. I haven't shot any yet, I just aleays thought all hirt was berdan primed.

Are ya'll saying it might be boxer?

Comment

Originally posted by ISC View Post
              I have a buddy that is selling me a bunch of his 7.62x51 Hirtenburger for 38 cents a round. I have 2 .50 cal ammo cans of it packed loose. I am not sure if I should get any more because it's berdan primed and doesn't seem like that good of a price. Should I get as much as I can or is it just a mediocre price?
              if you don't want it ISC, call me. I'll take a thousand or so.
              may the Bonnie Blue wave forever

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Comment

That's a good price.
                God,grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,courage to change the things I can,and the wisdom to know the difference.

Comment

BY all means don't buy any more .308 at nearly third less than the going rate. If you must rub peoples noses in your fortuitous circumstance, tell them you bought it all.

Comment

He said he thinks it's hirteburger but it might be IMI. I haven't shot any yet, I just aleays thought all hirt was berdan primed.

Are ya'll saying it might be boxer?
                    I'll check my empties, I lose track but I think I have a whole bag of hirts cases I saved because of that. Stay tuned. Ask him for what text is on the headstamp - if you don't recognize it, post here & someone probably will.
                    When government shifts from defining what is wrong, with the direct implication that all else is acceptable, to defining what is right, with the insidious suggestion that all else may be suspect if not subversive, then we are well on the way to a police state.

Business, society and government all exist solely to serve the interests of the people. Of, By, For.

Comment

These are a few random rounds I pulled out of the bag. The ones marked "HP" have staked primers and the ones marked TZ have crimped primers. He also mentioned that he had tumbled them because they were tarnished. I don't think I like that.
                      Last edited by ISC; August 25th, 2010, 05:24.

Comment

these are a few random rounds I pulledout of the bag. The ones marked "HP" have staked primers and the ones marked TZ have crimped primers. He also mentioned that he had tumbled them because they were tarnished. I don't think I like that.
                        The TZ headstamp stuff with headstamp dates from the late 60's and early 70's has a bad habit of splitting the cases. I got a batch from Southern Ammo that had probably 15% of that headstamp and dates in it, and wound up sorting it all out to shoot in the bolt guns, because the FAL really didn't like those case splits.

The Ishy, OTOH, doesnt mind at all.
                        Alle Kunst ist umsunst Wenn ein Engel auf das Zundloch brunzet (All skill is in vain if an angel pisses down the touch-hole of your musket.) Old German Folk Wisdom.

Comment

Just as a point of reference, I bought Lake City .30-'06 M2 ball for $.28/round from the CMP on Wednesday.

.308 in my area is going for $500 and up per thousand, 'if' you can find complete cases (hard to do). I've see South African battle packs with $90-$100 price tags on them!

There seems to be no Hirt left in my area, just small quantities of the Lithuanian, a little Portugese and some old stocks of Venezuelan...oh...and there's STILL some of that Indian crap being palmed off.

Comment

Hey, I just bought two cases of Greek 30-06 in Garand clips today and I don't even own an '06 rifle! That tell you anything about my opinion on buying ANY AND ALL ammunition that you can get your hands on? Well, good, safe ammo anyhow!
                            "some people never let their given word interfere if something they want comes along"
                            The real problem with the world are laws preventing culling.

Comment

These are a few random rounds I pulled out of the bag. The ones marked "HP" have staked primers and the ones marked TZ have crimped primers. He also mentioned that he had tumbled them because they were tarnished. I don't think I like that.
                              verified - my Hirts which matches the rightmost headstamp is boxer

Comment

Working...
                              X