Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taiwan 30/06 Ammo...

Just an FYI....
    Got some quite awhile ago and it was NASTY, but shot OK after I tumbled it. Was busting cans today and had ONE clip refuse to load and TWO rounds sound funny and smoke poured from bolt area.

Rifle checked OK both times and I finished off 9 clips. Two bad rounds pictured below.

Added: First round.....bolt pulled part of rim off and I had to get a rod and punch casing out....?????? Wasn't stuck....part of rim just came off. Odd, indeed.

Last edited by TheMrMitch; August 5th, 2008, 20:01.
    Youth And Brawn Are No Match For Age And Treachery.
    I'm Old And May Not Fight. I'll Shoot Instead.

USMC 1959/1963

Re: Taiwan 30/06 Ammo...

Thanks. I would have bought Taiwanese 308 (if it exists) but now I'll think of it as just another kind of Albanian.

Comment

From what I hear.....the Tai ammo also has a larger primer and a few reloaders were UNpleasantly surprised when it came time to reload.

USMC 1959/1963

Comment

I got some Izzy TZZ headstamp .308 from '72 and '73 production that was doing that in the FrankenFAL. About 15 or 20% of them, in fact.

Happily, it was a lot of mixed headstamp stuff from Southern Ammo. I sorted that headstamp and dates out and reserved it for bolt guns, but when it's all the same lot, it isn't as easy. You can pretty much either grit your teeth and go on, or kick the whole lot back to "bolt guns only" status.

IMO, it probably won't damage the Garands, either. But that "probably" is a fairly large frog to swallow. FWIW, the .308 stuff I've got failing that way in a bolt action isn't even particularly noticeable until you jack the hull out and see it. If you are watching really close, you may see a couple wisps of smoke coming out around the bolt, but unless I'm watching the bolt instead of the target, I never notice any difference.
        Alle Kunst ist umsunst Wenn ein Engel auf das Zundloch brunzet (All skill is in vain if an angel pisses down the touch-hole of your musket.) Old German Folk Wisdom.

Comment

I didn't let it bother me and I finished off the Tai ammo today. Nuttin' left but the empty brass that I'm gonna recycle.

USMC 1959/1963

Comment

Working...
          X