Can you reload corrosive ammo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you reload corrosive ammo?

It's IMI 1970's 9mm boxer primed and I can get 2,000 rounds +P+ for $140. After the ammo is fired, I figured a solution could be used to wipe out any corrosive material left on the brass. The only issue that I can see using this Sub-Gun Ammo is the case may be malformed or thinned in areas to make reloading risky.

Is there a formula or process for doing this?

When reloaded I will not use components that will be corrosive.

windex or soap and water

how do you figure its corrosive being 1970 vintage boxer ?

Comment

The seller advised they were told it was not corrosive; however after they shot some, they would not make that promise. For the price I think it is corrosive because never have I seen 2K for $140.

Comment

It's salt if they are corrosive, soak them in water and dry them, then tumble them, if your worried about it. The salt won't really hurt the brass, the residue left in the gun is what hurts, it absorbs water and forms rust.

Comment

Originally posted by cosmo05:
          It's salt if they are corrosive, soak them in water and dry them, then tumble them, if your worried about it. The salt won't really hurt the brass, the residue left in the gun is what hurts, it absorbs water and forms rust.
          Correct.

If you are concerned, put the casings in a cloth bag of some sort and run them through a washing machine before tumbling them. That'll clean any remaining salts off of them, for sure.

Note on that technique. For drainage purposes, it simplifies matters considerably if you deprime the cases before washing them......(Ask me how I know that! )
          Alle Kunst ist umsunst Wenn ein Engel auf das Zundloch brunzet (All skill is in vain if an angel pisses down the touch-hole of your musket.) Old German Folk Wisdom.

Comment

Hi,
            This is an idea I got from the Internet and then I expanded it.

Here is the first step I do to clean brass.

Use Dawn, it won't neutralize the vinegar/concentrated lemon juice and vice-versa. But, will still neutralize old corrosive primers. Go figure.
            The original idea was with concentrated lemon juice. The cheapest around here is at a store called Dollar General. I supplement the lemon juice with vinegar cause itís cheaper and works almost as well (3 parts v to 1 part clj). The cheapest vinegar here is at Wal-Mart by the gallon.
            As far as the exact amount I wing it. Use too much and you just waste it. The law of diminishing return.
            Use HOT tap water. Remember High School chemistry? Heat up a reaction and it accelerates.
            What I THINK happens is this;
            Dawn emulsifies/breaks the surface tension of the water allowing it to carry away dirt/grease/carbon etc. This allows the liquid to seep into every little crack crevice etc.
            The acids attack the oxides, removing them.
            Note: This process WILL NOT attack the brass (parent metal).
            Safety note: What can look like a small blemish can sometimes be a severely corroded spot on the case. Iíve been saved more than once from reloading a defective case using this process!
            Rather Iím told it conditions the parent metal. [img]smile.gif[/img]
            Finally I do this in a tumbler if I can. It seems to enhance the process.
            Rinse and dry the cases. Tumble with your favorite media and polish (youíll find they come out much better looking).

Thatís about it,
            Paul the Ammo Guy
            ďAim small, miss small.Ē

P.S. My only requirement with this is that you SHARE this idea whenever possible. Itís a tough world out there for shooters. Anything I can do to help I do.
            Paul the Ammo Guy 8-)

"Aim small, miss small".

Comment

Ammo Guy.....Excellent ideas that truely need to be shared and thanks to others that responded.

This topic bordered on being here or Basics and was left in this forum...(er...I missed it at first [img]redface.gif[/img] ).

It'll probably help our brothers in Basics if you posted and shared this info over there also.

Thanks....
              Youth And Brawn Are No Match For Age And Treachery.
              I'm Old And May Not Fight. I'll Shoot Instead.

USMC 1959/1963

Comment

Working...
              X