Ruined (?) Ammo...Corroded.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ruined (?) Ammo...Corroded.....

Had an open tin of 5.45x39 sitting outta the way. Have a crazy Jack Russel male dog. Yep, he found it and began "marking" it.

Well, by the time the smell got my attention, every box was wet and the ammo had corroded. :mad:

Rubber gloves and a wire brush cleaned about 100 rounds and they fired without any problems. Don't wanna do a thousand more like that, so I ordered a case tumbler and walnut media.

Any other suggestions except shooting the dog?
    Youth And Brawn Are No Match For Age And Treachery.
    I'm Old And May Not Fight. I'll Shoot Instead.

USMC 1959/1963

Why I stay with neutered female dogs, chapter IX!

Territorial, but not expansive, and not concerned with marking it.

And in answer to your question, nope. If you don't have a tumbler, you need one. I'd offer to take it off your hands and do it myself, but I don't shoot 5.45.

Bummer, but it goes with the territory when you have dogs. Miss Samantha will still come bringing me packages, or boxes, of ammo, if I leave it out where she can get it. She particularly loves the paper and string on Russian 54r, for some reason. She eats that, and comes bringing the cartridges to me, one at a time.

You don't want to know what the zipper on one of my range bags looks like, when I left it on the floor with a couple of those wraps still in it.

Alle Kunst ist umsunst Wenn ein Engel auf das Zundloch brunzet (All skill is in vain if an angel pisses down the touch-hole of your musket.) Old German Folk Wisdom.

Comment

loaded ammo that is tumbled will break down the coating on the powder grain, and thus will result in hotter ignition and much higher pressures ....prolly see lots of blown primers and stiff recoil....maybe even failed cases upon extraction...if they extract.

wear a jock, and full face helmet,,,,make sure your life policy is paid up and be sure to adopt me so i can be first in line to glean over your collection after they plant you......

Comment

I've always been told to not tumble ammo thats live for the reason Bolt gave.

Comment

If it's milspec and sealed why not try to use a light acid to clear out the base reaction then wipe them off? (Better living through chemicals) Tarnex might just do what you need but if the case has pitting I wouldn't chance it. After the cleaning; assuming they fire great, if not pull your bullets and throw away the ruined cases.

Comment

Originally posted by BOLTRIPPER:
            loaded ammo that is tumbled will break down the coating on the powder grain, and thus will result in hotter ignition and much higher pressures ....prolly see lots of blown primers and stiff recoil....maybe even failed cases upon extraction...if they extract.

wear a jock, and full face helmet,,,,make sure your life policy is paid up and be sure to adopt me so i can be first in line to glean over your collection after they plant you......
            Just internet BS...

Comment

vicg1 I did read an article whereas a fella wanted to know of powder breakdown in a tumbler.

He kept notes and took before and after powder samples of various types of bullits.

His results after prolonged tumbling of live shells showed a minor change in powder consistancy. Heck, some ammo has been carried and abused by the military far worse than a tumbler.

I'm going to try cleaning mine in a new tumbler with cracked corn or garage floor scatter....can't hurt.

Tumbler comes in tomorrow. Wish me luck!

USMC 1959/1963

Comment

Originally posted by vicg1:
                </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by BOLTRIPPER:

Just internet BS... </font>[/QUOTE]Yup, manufacturers tumble after loading so it's "nice and shiney" for the customer.

Comment

There may be, or have been, some validity to it at some points in time with certain loads.

I've never had any concerns about managing to refine most powders down to the point where the ignition would be so much faster than normal that it would damage a firearm.

But, on consideration, it occured to me that it might not be a good idea to toss a bunch of .303 loaded with cordite into a tumbler for a few days.

Other than that, though, I've done it, and will do it again.

Alle Kunst ist umsunst Wenn ein Engel auf das Zundloch brunzet (All skill is in vain if an angel pisses down the touch-hole of your musket.) Old German Folk Wisdom.

Comment

Well, sure enough, short of gravel in my new tumbler it looks as each round I wanna save must be hand cleaned. It's that bad.

As an aside, I got 1080 rds of bulgarian in a tin delivered for $132....

$118.80 cost plus CC charge and $11 for delivery.

USMC 1959/1963

Comment

yah know,,,,walnut do a lot better than corn,

i buy my walnut and corn in 50lb bags...way cheaper that way

Comment

just a thought but what about a grinder with a wire whell would be faster then doin it by hand

Comment

bendsum...that's exactly what I'm doing with my drill...one at a time. They look so bad even after cleaning that if I weren't firing them in an AK clone, I'd dump them.

USMC 1959/1963

Comment

Working...
                          X