45/70 Government

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 45/70 Government

I am in need of some info for this round. What kind of use would there be for a rifle chambered in this?

Hello Swingline,

What do you want the rifle to do? The 45-70 is capable of killing every species of game in North America (Alaska included) as well as most game in Africa. This is up to a range of about 200 yds. There are single shot, lever action and bolt action 45-70's. The BA Siamese Mausers are super strong.

I have a Marlin 1895 Lever Action 45-70 that I am working up handloads for now. It will be my deer hunting rifle come this November. Accuracy for the Marlin cuts 3 shot clover leafs at 100 yds.

RIKA

Comment

Mine is an 1876 Martini-Henry that has been rechambered to 45-70. As to what to shoot with it, anything I want to go down and STAY down!

A friend of mine used to shoot ground hogs with his Siamese Mauser in 45-70. It was actually fun to use it as when he hit them there was NO doubt!

Comment

The .45-70 is making a rebound, mostly due to the greater selection of rifles that are now available.

Factory loads can be super light mimicking blackpowder loads while companies like Garrett and Buffalo Bore make some serious high power loads.

Thompson Contender barrels are available in .45-70, also. That makes my wrist hurt just thinking about shooting that.

Comment

ferro pigs, deer, bear, guides in alaska are starting to use the marlin guide gun in 45-70 for brown bears. I shoot 300 gr hp for hunting and 300 and 405 gr for cowboy shoots

Comment

If you want to handload for just plinking you can find some of the old lyman bullet molds that drop .457 or .456 bullets and bump them to use for just plain fun plinking. And if you feel adventurous you just look around for an old 500 grain mold and push up the velocity - if you have a strong action and constituion you'll get to almost .458 win mag speeds.
            FAT I\'m not fat, I\'m Tactically Padded

Comment

Re: 45/70 Government

Does any body know how many grains of hp335, hp38 powder to load into 450 cast lead bullet.

Comment

For a number of years now, I have had a Marlin 1895 45-70 SS Guide Gun. Would not part with it for love nor money! I use the Sierra 300 gr HP for deer hunting in my neck of the works. Was lucky enough to harvest a near 200 lbs eight pointer this past season! I would have to check my reloading book to see what the recipe is though. The cartridge will do the job!
                GTP

Comment

Long range cowboy has added a few models to the lineup, and Marlin using Ballard rifling instead of micro-groove (lead doesn't work for cr*p in micro).

Comment

I have a 45/70 Marlin SS with ballard cut rifling. I use 405gr LFN with gas check. I can't say what a good load would be with 335. I use 50 gr 4895 fed 205 primer. The bullet is from RCBS mold sized to .459 and Thompson blue angel lube and Hornady gas check. It will shoot 1 inch groups at 100 yds consistently. Awesome rifle, I wouldn't trade it for any other in my collection.

Randy

Comment

Working...
                    X