.308 surplus ammo identity--Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• .308 surplus ammo identity--Help!

Hi guys. I just bought a grab-bag of surplus .308 (OK, 7.62mm) ammo at a gun show. I mainly bought it because it had some AP rounds, but there are about 50 rounds I can't identify. They are all copper colored: the case is the same color as the bullet. I don't know if the case is copper or just copper-plated brass or what. The primer is gold colored and the headstamp is "19" and "92" at a 180 degree angle to each other: that's all. I shoot a .308 M-1 Garand and a PolyTech M-14S. Are these rounds something I'd want to feed my 2 babies with? Thanks in advance!--Jack in Montana

Never attribute to malice what can adequately be explained by stupidity.

Sounds like Norinco. I had some 7.62x39 with the same kind of markings. Mine was a 19 and 93 or something.

Comment

Yep, it's Norinco copper washed 147g ball. It shoots pretty decent. I bought 3 cases many years ago. All of it was sure fire. A couple of split necks, but that's the only problem I had.

Accuracy ran in the 2-2.5 minute range from my FAL and M1A.
      If at first you don\'t succeed, skydiving isn\'t for you!

I hated going to weddings. All the grandmas would poke me saying \"You\'re next\". They stopped that when I started doing it to them at funerals.

Comment

Thanks you all! You sure are fast. I just posted this message and went and ate a sandwich. When I came back already 2 replies. Much appreciated!

Do what you can with what you have where you are--T.R.

Comment

+3 on the Norinco. I have a buddy that has a case of it marked similar to your description. Shoots just fine in his HK 91.
          Freedom isn't free!

Comment

Yes, agree on that info.

May be steel case/copper washed and non-reloadable (?)

BB
            There is no Spring without Winter, without Mistakes there is no Learning. There is no Life without Death, without Doubts there is no Faith. There is no Peace without War, without Fear there is no Courage. For without Mistakes, Doubts and Fears there are no pathways to Wisdom.
            Ron Owen.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Bunny:

May be steel case/copper washed and non-reloadable (?)

BB
              That's the stuff I have.
              If at first you don\'t succeed, skydiving isn\'t for you!

I hated going to weddings. All the grandmas would poke me saying \"You\'re next\". They stopped that when I started doing it to them at funerals.

Comment

Working...
              X