India made 308

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• India made 308

This comes in 10 packs, 640 to a can made in the 80's in india. Any opinions on this stuff. It's going through a G-3 and an FN. Found it for around 11 cents a round.

I've seen some pretty bad reports on this stuff on the various boards. Loosely seated bullets, crimped necks, etc. I don't have any personal experience with it however.

The only surplus .308 that I have shot is British Radway Green and the Australian F4. Both are excellent. The Radway Green is pretty hard to find, but the Aussie is everywhere. The Portugese also gets pretty good reviews.
    Freedom isn't free!

Comment

It's about 95% crap. I've seen it shoot through a FAL but out of the 10 rounds we culled 20-40% that didn't pass visual inspection. Then out of the 60-80% left one or 2 misfires. Then you think it's reloadable but it isn't. The flash holes are mostly offcenter (ie: broken/bent RCBS decapping pins), a small base sizing die has trouble with it sticking in it. In a nutshell, don't buy it. If you did- shoot it, crush the case mouth so the next guy won't pick it up and try to reload it, and chalk it up to "price too good to be true."
      incoming rounds have the right of way.

Comment

The Indian ammo in question of being total crap was made about 1998...too soon to be surplus.

Now what you have just MAY be ok...dunno.
        Caveat Emptor..Let the buyer beware.

[ July 03, 2004, 21:14: Message edited by: TheMrMitch ]
        Youth And Brawn Are No Match For Age And Treachery.
        I'm Old And May Not Fight. I'll Shoot Instead.

USMC 1959/1963

Comment

ITS GARBAGE!!!!don't waste your money.

Comment

Never buy ammo from a country that pisses in it's own drinking water!!
            Get some Ausi,you will not be dissapointed.

[ July 05, 2004, 22:05: Message edited by: Near Sighted Sniper ]
            If you voted for Obama in 2008 to prove you’re not racist, you’ll have to find someone else to vote for in 2012 to prove you’re not an idiot.

Comment

Jesus, Thanks for the info I won't buy it no wonder it's sooooooo cheap. I saw the aussie stuff, The 200 rnd battlepacks (port)I have lining the bottom of my safe are getting depleted. I used to have a .308 issued to me so I got all the pratice I wanted but they took my big gun away and put me on a diet they only feed me .223 now. So I've got to by my own big gun ammo.

Thanks again

Comment

A friend of mine at the range we belong to bought some. He said it was very hard to get the bolt on his Mauser to open after shooting a few rounds. Everyone on the different web sites say that this ammo is junk and if you come in contact with some, to run away from it as fast as you can.

Comment

Indian ammo is a great way to blow up your rifle if that kinda thing is what you are after.

Comment

India is a nation known for its precision and meticulous workmanship. It is in the forefront of industrialized nations in the area of quality control. You should have no hestitation in buying cheap ammo which is billed as military surplus. The inexperienced governmental managers made a serious mistake in judgment in pricing it so low on the world market. At a time when the US military is outsourcing ammo manufacture because the government factory is running close to 24 hours a day, civilians should scoop it up before the US military gets wise and buys surplus ammo from India.

What was the question, again?

Comment

Originally posted by bcochran:
                      India is a nation known for its precision and meticulous workmanship. It is in the forefront of industrialized nations in the area of quality control. You should have no hestitation in buying cheap ammo which is billed as military surplus. The inexperienced governmental managers made a serious mistake in judgment in pricing it so low on the world market. At a time when the US military is outsourcing ammo manufacture because the government factory is running close to 24 hours a day, civilians should scoop it up before the US military gets wise and buys surplus ammo from India.

What was the question, again?
                      Feeling cranky ? [img]smile.gif[/img]
                      When government shifts from defining what is wrong, with the direct implication that all else is acceptable, to defining what is right, with the insidious suggestion that all else may be suspect if not subversive, then we are well on the way to a police state.

Business, society and government all exist solely to serve the interests of the people. Of, By, For.

Comment

For some prior discussion of this stuff, see this thread:

Indian Ammo picture and commentary

A picture is worth a thousand words, so a picture of 10 rounds or so ought to be worth 10k words, right?
                        Alle Kunst ist umsunst Wenn ein Engel auf das Zundloch brunzet (All skill is in vain if an angel pisses down the touch-hole of your musket.) Old German Folk Wisdom.

Comment

I have just gone through a can of the India 308. Out of 640 rounds had 8 misfires. Visual inspection was good on all rounds and it shot 1.5 inch groups out of my AR 10 and 2 inches out of an fal. So far not problems with it. Came sealed in a waterproof can and sealed plastic battle pack of 10. I asked my regular dealer who had it and he had inspected and tested this batch before started to sell it. I guess it depends on the lot. The dealer did tell me that there is a difference between what is marked NATO Ball vs. just marked manufactured in India. I have the NATO ball stuff. Just my two cents worth...for whatever it is worth

Comment

I recently shot about 120rds of India 308 ammo with 3 misfires out of my CETME. The bullets that did shoot were "okay" but the patterns these made were all over the target. One round high to the left. Next round low to the right. Next few rounds were bullseyes. Very unpredictable ammo. But you get what you pay for.

Comment

Working...
                            X