I finally broke down......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I finally broke down......

And picked up the KelTek PMR-30 that I've been interested in for the last several years.

They seem to have gotten the bugs out of it. It worked first time, every time, for about four mags. It's fun to shoot, and has no notable recoil. The frame is big enough that it fits my hand decently.

The only thing I'm not amused about is the fact that the mag release is at the bottom of the grip, Euro style. I'm going to have to get used to that part. Once I do, it'll be like a Mak, and when I pick it up, it'll be automatic. Beyond that, with 30 rounds, how often would one have to worry about it.

Yeah, it's .22 Mag, but one can make a serious crapload of holes in something before you have to change mags, and it did come with two.

I ain't unhappy for $300 OTD.

Alle Kunst ist umsunst Wenn ein Engel auf das Zundloch brunzet (All skill is in vain if an angel pisses down the touch-hole of your musket.) Old German Folk Wisdom.

I don't know why he changed the design to the bottom release from his original design (Grendel P-30).

BISHOP
    The rusty wire, that holds the cork, that keeps the anger in, gives way...

Comment

Originally posted by BISHOP View Post
      I don't know why he changed the design to the bottom release from his original design (Grendel P-30).

BISHOP
      Just guessing here, but they were trying to keep the grips as narrow as they could and still stuff the double stack mags into it. The mag lock and release on the side would have widened it just a bit.

Not that I would care if it was two or three-tenths of an inch wider, but they wanted the slim line, and they got it. It's a range gun for me anyway. If I'm shooting at something I'm really annoyed at, I'm going to be using something a lot larger than a .22 Mag.

Unless, of course, that's what I already have in hand, in which case it is a whole lot better than nothing. The question at that point is how many of 30 rounds of .22 Mag can I hit someone with in three or four seconds. I'm going with "several". I may not kill them, but worst case, I'll weigh them down enough that I can outrun them.

Alle Kunst ist umsunst Wenn ein Engel auf das Zundloch brunzet (All skill is in vain if an angel pisses down the touch-hole of your musket.) Old German Folk Wisdom.

Comment

Originally posted by jefferson101 View Post
        If I'm shooting at something I'm really annoyed at, I'm going to be using something a lot larger than a .22 Mag.

Unless, of course, that's what I already have in hand, in which case it is a whole lot better than nothing. The question at that point is how many of 30 rounds of .22 Mag can I hit someone with in three or four seconds. I'm going with "several". I may not kill them, but worst case, I'll weigh them down enough that I can outrun them.
        Nonsense. It only takes one from a .22 Mag PMR if you aim.

-from personal experience.
        "I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race." -Edmund Ruffin *[B]
        At a little creek called Bull Run, we took their starry rag...to wipe our horses down with, and I ain't here to brag.[/B]

Comment

Originally posted by PlowboysGhost View Post

Nonsense. It only takes one from a .22 Mag PMR if you aim.

-from personal experience.
          No argument. It only takes one .22 Short if you aim right. But that only works when you are perfectly calm, steady, and the target doesn't move in a way that you don't anticipate. I can generally manage to land my rounds somewhere in the general vicinity of what I'm aiming at, but with a handgun in particular, I'm not counting on it being "One and done".

Comment

Note to PB'sG:

I'm sorry to hear of your bad experience. I hate that my mention of the weapon brings back bad memories for you. You are in my thoughts and Prayers regarding the incident in question.

Having noted that, and meaning my condolences sincerely, I will point out that I don't blame Ford for the fact that my #1 running buddy in College killed himself while driving one.

Comment

Now if only Keltec would scale up the design for 7.62x25.
              Gregory Peter DuPont

Comment

Originally posted by jefferson101 View Post
                Note to PB'sG:

I'm sorry to hear of your bad experience. I hate that my mention of the weapon brings back bad memories for you. You are in my thoughts and Prayers regarding the incident in question.

Having noted that, and meaning my condolences sincerely, I will point out that I don't blame Ford for the fact that my #1 running buddy in College killed himself while driving one.

(Just saw your post.)

I appreciate that and no, the mention of the PMR doesn't cause me any problem or discomfort. What he used isn't important, it's what he did. Hell....I was going to go pick the gun up from the Cullman Co. Sheriff's office almost a year later and found that one of my other three brothers (of my dad's) had already beat me to it. The youngest brother didn't want to ever see it again, but I didn't pin any emotion on what it had been used for.

I just didn't want the Sheriff's Dept. to keep it when he had paid so much for it when they first came out.

I only mentioned that to qualify my argument that the .22 Mag. can kill quite well...of course a .22 short would have likely done the same all things being equal in that situation.

I've rode a motorcycle that two people died on in two separate wrecks when drag racing. The first buck I ever shot was with a buddy's daddy's double barrel 12-gauge that was used to murder a Hackleburg cop with back in the late '60s or early '70s. I don't blame objects or manufacturers for misdeeds of people.

Thanks again, though.
                "I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race." -Edmund Ruffin *[B]
                At a little creek called Bull Run, we took their starry rag...to wipe our horses down with, and I ain't here to brag.[/B]

Comment

Working...
                X