Historical Question Regarding Autopistols

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Historical Question Regarding Autopistols

I'm currently reading an autobiography of an Oklahoma cowboy who, upon the outbreak of WWI, joined the Canadian army, and was subsequently picked to be an RFC observer and later a fighter pilot. He eventually became an ace, shooting down a confirmed fourteen German planes. The book is titled "Horses Don't Fly", and the pilot was Frederic Libby. Anyway, at one point in the book, prior to WWI, he mentions giving his brother a ".44 caliber automatic" pistol as a gift.

I figured it was likely a Colt/Browning design, one of the pistols leading up to the 1911. I knew they made some .38 caliber automatics, but can find no reference to a .44. I'm not aware of any other automatic pistols used in the U.S. during that time - especially any .44s.

I did a Google search and didn't come up with anything that way either.

Possibly this may have just been an error in the original manuscript, which was undiscovered until recently, or maybe just a typo. But I am curious, if the book is accurate, what pistol it could have been.

Anyone have any ideas?
    Freedom Of Speech does not include freedom from consequences.

When riding a horse, remember that you are not in control, but are just another voting member.

Probably a miss-type for .45 caliber automatic
    "SI *VIS *PACEM, *PARA *BELLUM"
    [URL]http://survivalblog.com[/URL]
    MOLON LABE!
    AC0XV

Comment

Working...
    X