Clear All

• My next Nagant project

Opinions and input please.
    These are pics of my latest rescue gun.
    I know what it is do you?
    Restore or modify?

Last edited by brainard; January 27, 2016, 17:12. Reason: Bad link

Re: My next Nagant project

That type 53 looks like it has been drug down the Ho Chi Minh trail behind old Ho's bicycle. What does the bore and chamber look like?
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them.
    Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

Chamber and bore are mirror pretty. Bubba gave it a "trigger" job. It won't even cock. The cocking piece has been filed to stupidness.

Comment

That's a Mosin. The Nagant is a crappy revolver. The sum of Nagant's contribution to the design was the way that the floorplate was attached the the magazine spring, and that was changed when the 91/30 was introduced.

The West calls the M91 a Mosin-Nagant, but the former Soviet block doesn't include Nagant in the rifle's name.
        Last edited by ISC; January 28, 2016, 02:12.

Comment

Well, the Nagant isn't the greatest revolver by any means, but there are much worse.

Often times, at least in my locality, the revered Mosin-Nagant is referred to as simply Mosin or Nagant quite interchangeably. I do have to agree "Mosin" is likely the more correct term.

This is, as Bigfoot mentioned, a beat to death Chinese Type 53. In the early 1950's the Chinese bought tons of surplus M-44 parts from the Russians. These surplus parts became the Type 53. So while the "53" is often sneered at as "Chinese junk" that couldn't be farther from the truth. They are neither Chinese or junk.

This one on the other hand looks like it sunk in a Chinese junk!

Comment

looks like mostly surface rust on the outside. How's the bore?

Comment

Looking at sporterized Mosins, https://goo.gl/tKnQlR , some of them come out quite nice.

I really like the way this one was done, wish it was mine. It is about the middle of the page here- http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showf...&fpart=12&vc=1
              I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them.
              Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

The bore looks good. It has hope. We fixed "Bubba's trigger job" by replacing the cocking piece. The stock is completely destroyed.

Here is an American Rifleman article on sporterizing the M-44.
                http://www.americanrifleman.org/arti...in-nagant-m44/
                Gotta say, not a fan of the black Monte Carlo stock.
                I typically prefer a restoration, but honestly after all the costs I could go buy a Remington 700 instead. Although I'm not kidding myself it'll never be a dime puncher.

Comment

Have you tried the Finnish modification for the sear? I have done it on most of my Mosins. I copied the one in my Finn M39. More info on these sites-

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=268631

http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/vie...?f=28&t=115592

Here is a graphic I found for the mod-
                  Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

Bubba did something similar but way overdone, uneven, and at the wrong angle.

What do you guys (gals) think about sporterizing this thing? Options?

Comment

Originally posted by brainard View Post
                      Bubba did something similar but way overdone, uneven, and at the wrong angle.

What do you guys (gals) think about sporterizing this thing? Options?
                      I'd go with a restoration if you have the time and equipment. It's rusty, but doesn't look to be really badly pitted, which means you could sand blast it and re-blue.

The stock is going to take some work, and will never be a thing of beauty, but you can get it back to respectable and still have an original, instead of a chopped model.

Alle Kunst ist umsunst Wenn ein Engel auf das Zundloch brunzet (All skill is in vain if an angel pisses down the touch-hole of your musket.) Old German Folk Wisdom.

Comment

Will be bead blasting no matter what the rust is awful.
                        The stock is dry rotted, especially on the fire end.

My problem with restore is the dollars. I'll have a nice looking M-44 / Type 53 crossover. Parts needed: complete stock, bayonet lugg, all the barrel bands and screws including mag well bolt and tang screw.

I do know I don't want this:

Comment

That would be fun to shoot once or twice, but the muzzle flash would cook anything within about 15 feet.

Originally posted by brainard View Post

I do know I don't want this:
                          Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

Well... Looks like restore isn't going to happen. I dropped it off with a buddy of mine to have it bead blasted. He says to me. "Oh, by the way we cut the barrel and re crowned it at 16.5" You're gonna love it!" ::
                            He says scout rifle I said well, I guess it's too late now.

Comment

Nice Obrez, Comrade!
                              Gregory Peter DuPont

Comment

Working...
                              X