Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My next Nagant project

Originally posted by brainard View Post
    Well... Looks like restore isn't going to happen. I dropped it off with a buddy of mine to have it bead blasted. He says to me. "Oh, by the way we cut the barrel and re crowned it at 16.5" You're gonna love it!" ::
    He says scout rifle I said well, I guess it's too late now.
    Ouch!!
    You could always add an Enfield jungle carbine flash hider to it now.
    Numrich has them, it would also add a front sight back to it.
    https://www.gunpartscorp.com/ad/254060.htm

(picture found on ar15.com, not mine)
    I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them.
    Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

"Obrez" for those of you who don't know is basically Russian for Chop Job. The Obrez was a common piece among highwaymen and partisans during post WWI Russia, where civil unrest was the norm.

Bigfoot, I love it! That thing is gonna have one insane fireball!

Comment

Any pictures in progress of your project?
        I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them.
        Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

Not yet. I'm at a financial halt. I'm a contractor and money is super tight right now. I would appreciate it if y'all would remember us in your prayers. I'll post pics soon as I can get going again.

Comment

I called my buddy today to check on the progress of this Chink Mosin Nagant. His response was, "You need to just let me have fun with it. I've already got you the scope and mount for the thing. I'll just send you the bill when I'm done." Oh boy. 🙄

Comment

After a heck of a long time and an insane amount of poking and prodding, I finally have my Mosin back. Condition update: 🙄 I'm so annoyed! The rifle looks the same. The bubba trigger job has been repaired, I now have the optic and sight mount. My "friend" says he will let me know what I owe him for the parts, but I hope he forgets. He's been a real prick since he bought his second business. (Money doesn't make one happy, but sure can make you prideful.) The folding stock turned out to be a Mossberg 500 folding butt stock bolted on to the remnants of an old M-44 stock. It just looks cheap. Add black spray paint and ta da instant Hill Billy. So aggravated!

Anyway, my next effort will be to find an inexpensive stock for this rifle. Any suggestions or ideas?
              I need a stock and a set of bolts that hold the magazine to the reciever.

Comment

I was just looking on ebay at mosin stocks, and they want more for an old beat up original as I payed for the whole rifle.
                Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfoot View Post
                  I was just looking on ebay at mosin stocks, and they want more for an old beat up original as I payed for the whole rifle.
                  It could be remarked.

Arkyboy and I bought two orders of Mosin Nagant 91-30 Barreled Actions from Century, back in the day. Ten for $50, and we each got ten. Five or so of them were literally Tomato Stakes, but we got at least a dozen good ones.

But good for what, we don't know, because it'd cost us more to build one up than it would to buy a functional one. I guess if we get a bad barrel or something, we have the ability to replace it, anyway....

Meh. They were like $5 each anyway, and we didn't exactly go broke on the deal. Someday they may be worth something.

Alle Kunst ist umsunst Wenn ein Engel auf das Zundloch brunzet (All skill is in vain if an angel pisses down the touch-hole of your musket.) Old German Folk Wisdom.

Comment

Get the ATI stock for $49.95 and put them in action. Bought a M44 that way at a gun show for $75 (complete rifle just with ATI stock and bent bolt). Still have it, it is one that Flashguy would approve of as it has a daylight muzzle blast with surplus ammo that has to be seen to be believed. Good fun.
                    "SI *VIS *PACEM, *PARA *BELLUM"
                    [URL]http://survivalblog.com[/URL]
                    MOLON LABE!
                    AC0XV

Comment

I can't locate an ATO stock that cheap!

Comment

Originally posted by brainard View Post
                        I can't locate an ATO stock that cheap!
                        Wow, they have gone up. Here is the one I have; http://www.jgsales.com/advanced-tech...300.-p-26.html

However, it is now $69.95, still a good stock overall and cheaper than I have seen for a 'issue' stock.
                        MOLON LABE!
                        AC0XV

Comment

Here is a version in Brown that is slightly cheaper; https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/prod...e=&from=Search
                          MOLON LABE!
                          AC0XV

Comment

Mausers could be rebarreled into all sorts of good stuff. Fed Ord had a nice kit back in the day of a heavy .308 barrel and nice sniper stock for around $300 that would turn an old Mauser into something to rival ad are,ingrown PSS.

Is anybody doing custom barrels for the Mosin?
                            Life, Liberty and the pursuit of those who threaten them.

Comment

The nice thing about the Mauser is that the bolt face matches up 7mm 8mm 6.5x55mm all match up to the venerable 308, 30-06 and assorted wild cats 243 25-06 and the like. I've not seen an alternative cartridge for the mosin-nagant. However, I have heard of threading Soviet machine gun barrels to fit giving the 7.62x54 a heavy heavy barrel with minimal recoil... Most enthusiasts outside the U.S. Put the Russian cartridge in the same class as our 30-06 and the Brit 303. Arguments in this arena can prove to be lively to say the least.

Comment

I remember that deal Classic had a few years back-Czech GPMG barrels.. I saw a few project builds that impressed me.
                                Gregory Peter DuPont

Comment

Working...
                                X