Mini modified to take M16 mags

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mini modified to take M16 mags

I have been thinking about getting a mini when I get home and trying to figure out a what to make it accept M16 mags. It'd require a milling machine and some delicate welding but would be a great project.

I was thinking of something like the israeli adapter for M16 mags in Galils (a modified AK design). I don't think there is any way to modify an AR 15 lower so that it attaches to a mini14 reciever, but if that was possible you could then possibly use M16 buttstocks and pistol grips

Has anyone ever done this successfully?

If you did the second option, where you basically have a hybrid with 2 recievers, which serial number would you use for the gun?

Re: Mini modified to take M16 mags

Modify the mags. I have some Ram Line that work in both the Mini-14 and AR, and the difference is a small hole in the front top of the mag, and a cut out on the back rib near the top. I've been thinking of modifying a few AR mags for my Mini.

Hold a mag for the Mini-14 and AR-15 side by side and you will see what I am talking about. Once they are modified they will work in both rifles.

Copperhead

Comment

I specifically want to figure out how to make a mini take unmodifed M16 mags. I think the proprietary mags is the Mini 14's greatest (but not the only) fault.

I've often wondered why Ruger doesn't modify the design themselves. I'd buy one of them if they did.

Comment

I have seen a Mini 14 modified to use 16 mags. They took the front half of a demilled 16 lower and opened the magwell up on a Mini 14 stock. They installed 2 or 3 sharp pointed screws on each side to serve as adjustment screws and to hold the mag well in place temporary. They smoothed the outside of the 16 mag well down. I beleive the front pin hole was left in place a a crosspin was installed. It took a little adjustment moving the mag well up and down to get it to feed right.

Once the correct placing was located it was marked and permanantly installed (jB Weld and the sharp pointed screws were replaced with flat bottom screws and shallow placement holes were cut into the lower.

They never could get the bolt hold open to work on a empty mag. (The Ruger mag has a high point on the follower that trips the bolt catch)

The stock was dished out and thined on the RH side fot the 16 mag release.
        The metal on the trigger guard )where it forks along side the mag well had to be thinned a little I do beleive.

The gun ended up running like a champ, took a little work to adjust the mag well into the right place, tedious but not hard.

Been about 20 years since I saw the Mini 16 project get worked up. It is doable just takes tinkering.

Comment

You could incorporate a mag catch assembly and M16 compatible magwell into an aftermarket polymer stock, but the operation still requires milling out a fair amount of metal from the Mini-14 receiver which could weaken it more than the design is meant to handle.

I think the answer is the newer heavier barrel Kel Tec SU16 and SU16C. Ca legal, takes M16 mags, halfway decent looks and performance according to the reviews I read. The older thin barrel rifle apparently overheats too much and loses accuracy, but the newer ones are a genuine improvement.
          Life, Liberty and the pursuit of those who threaten them.

Comment

Yeah, It's just a thought. If Ruger did it as a factory option they'd sell like hotcakes!

Comment

if this idea were feasible, it would have been done long ago. I have never seen, or heard of this being accomplished successfully.

For what it would cost, you could buy a lot of factory Ruger 30 round mags.
              may the Bonnie Blue wave forever<br /><br />Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Comment

I just love the way minis look, there's somethi8ng about wood and steel that appeals to me. I can't get past the mag issue. I sold my taurus PT 92for the same reason. If there had been a way to get it to take unmodified USGI mags I'd still have it.

When you havw multiple weapons in the same caliper, stockpiling magazines for all of the is expensive and takes up alot of space. I also don't think the locking hole in a high cap mini mag is strong enough for any sor of rigerous field use.

Now if a 10 roung magazine could be permanently installed and the ruger could be made to be loaded with USGI stripper clips My interest would be piqued.

I think alot of people compare the mini to a AR when they should be comparing it to the SKS.

the mini is to the AR 15 as the SKS is to the AK 47.

Comment

Originally posted by Copperhead View Post
                  Modify the mags. I have some Ram Line that work in both the Mini-14 and AR, and the difference is a small hole in the front top of the mag, and a cut out on the back rib near the top. I've been thinking of modifying a few AR mags for my Mini.

Hold a mag for the Mini-14 and AR-15 side by side and you will see what I am talking about. Once they are modified they will work in both rifles.

Copperhead

Nope. Not possible.

Comment

I agree with Mannlicher. For the money it would cost for the rifle and mods you could pick up an AR that will take AR mags.

Comment

I've got several ARs. But like I said I like the classic looks of the mini. I've even thought about tricking out an AR to look ore like a mini. Maybe a wood stock on a flat top model with removable front site, something like that...

Comment

obviously ISC, almost anything can be done. All it takes is a good gun smith and a lot of money.,

While I have only the one Series 188 Mini, I sure do like how it performs. Consistent 2 MOA, and zero performance problems. Shoots any ammo, but likes 162 grain M109 best.
                        The Vortex Strikefire sight is the bomb. I have a VTac sling on it now.
                        Last edited by Mannlicher; June 1, 2010, 06:18.

Comment

I figure that designers came out with gas piston uppers to meet the market demands of shooters, so maybe Ruger (or someone else) will design a new mini to take AR mags.

When does the exclusive manufacturing rights for the mini end for Ruger anyhow?

Comment

which points out one huge advantage the AR platform has over the Mini 14 platform.
                            Modifications are easy with a modular system, very difficult with one like our Mini.

Comment

Working...
                            X