Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mini-14 v USGI M1 Carbine?

If you HAD to choose one or the other, WHICH would you pick and WHY? TIA

The Mini. Because you can't do this to the M1 Carbine.

Comment

The Carbine, because the mini is made by Ruger.

Comment

That depends on for what purpose and the availibility of ammo and mags.

How 'bout this: A little of both. The ruger .44 carbine.

Comment

A Mini-but only if I have tons of good 30 rounders for it.

A Mini is chambered for a cheaper and supperior round, the 5,56 as opposed to the basically pistol round of the .30 Carbine.

Both can have bayonets and other fun things, so that would be a draw.

Comment

Yeah it really depends on for what purpose. If just for collectors value, I would like a WWII vintage M1 carbine.

Ammo and Mag availability has a lot to do with any other situation. Tough choice. Is there any other reson for the post other than just fun debate? ie: Do you have a real life choice you have to make or something?

Comment

I don't want to flog a dead horse here, but I don't think it's such an easy call to pick a Mini-14 for a SHTF scenario. Ok YES ammo is cheaper and more common for the Mini-14. That's a given. But try to find Mini-14 parts. Find any Mini-14 parts.... Now find Mini-14 mags..... It's easier to find Mini-14 mags than Mini-14 parts, but still not real easy (to get good ones).

Yes the ammo is superior for the Mini, but a rifle without parts or mags isn't going to do you any good. Parts and mags for the carbine are cheap and available.

A toss up perhaps, but not an easy decision. A close call without a doubt. I say try each rifle out and make your decision based on that. The .30 cal carbine round isn't the best around, but it's not all that bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Sharky_N_FLA:
                I don't think it's such an easy call to pick a Mini-14 for a SHTF scenario.
                Yes all that is true, but he didnt say for a SHTF, he just said choose one.

Comment

Again not rying to sound like a beating a dead horse here either but if you buy ANY rifle for SHTF use buy spare parts NOW.

No matter how common the rifle you can't count on finding spare pars after SHTF.

BTW- For Mini-14 parts that are most likely to break as in ejectors, extractors and firing pins. Look at Numrich/Gun Parts Co. Oh yes they even sell magazines.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolf:
                    Yes all that is true, but he didnt say for a SHTF, he just said choose one. [/QB]
                    And the point is?

I mean they said pick one. That's pretty abstract. I can pick it based on SHTF can't I?

Comment

Yup

Comment

Hands down, I'd take the carbine. Assuming it was a minty piece, with 10 good 30rd USGI mags, etc. No question, I'd take the carbine for most situations.

Comment

out of the two i'd go with the mini; superior caliber. I'm sure the m1 carbine is also a good weapon.
                          if i could expand the choices to any rifle it'd be a sig pe90

Comment

Talk to some Korean War Vets about the M1 carbine. The little M1 did not penetrate the Chinese heavy clothing. The carbine was left on the battlefield it didn't work well in the cold weather either. GI's picked up the dead's Garands and abandoned the carbines. The Mini 14 is chambered for a somewhat better caliber or should I say better cartridge? The Mini wasn't intended as a combat gun it is more of a sporting weapon. If the carbine and the Mini are the only weapons that you have thats fine, but there are better ones to consider. AR15s, AK types. M1A, M1 Garand, FAL etc.

Comment

If I had to choose between the 2 it would be the mini hands down.

Comment

Working...
                              X