Sight-In Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sight-In Question

I finally found a working scope mount for this Century CETME that I have owned for years.

I'm just about ready to take it to the range and see how it shoots with some glass on it. I looked at the bullet drop data for he ammo I have, and decided to sight it in at 25 yard for the first crossing. This gives me a good hold-on sight picture out to about 450 to 500 yards or so without having to fool with BDC or hold-overs.

Anyway, the benchrest range at my gun club only has berms at 50 yards, 100 yards, 150 yards, and 200 yards.

The ballistic data that I calculated using Federal Ammo's on-line ballistic calculator shows that, with a 25 yard zero, I would be hitting 2.8 inches high at 50 yards. The sight height above the bore, by the way, with the scope I have on the rifle, is 3-1/8 inches!

So, should I just post a target at 50 yards, adjust the scope so that it grouped a smidge under 3", then lock the settings down and verify it at 100 and 200 yards?

This height above the bore is really jamming me up mentally.

Freedom Of Speech does not include freedom from consequences.

When riding a horse, remember that you are not in control, but are just another voting member.

AFAIK, height of the sight above the bore doesn't matter. It can be 3 feet, and as long as you can adjust the elevation to put the bullet in the right place on the place on the target you are holding the crosshairs, you are good to go.
    Alle Kunst ist umsunst Wenn ein Engel auf das Zundloch brunzet (All skill is in vain if an angel pisses down the touch-hole of your musket.) Old German Folk Wisdom.

Comment

Thanks. That's what I was thinking.......but then I keep on thinking and that's when I confuse myself.

It'll be nice to get this rifle sighted in with a scope. I've mainly been dealing with AR-15s, and this CETME is finally a rifle that can actually shoot far enough to actually make a scope worthwhile.

Considering that I only have $20.00 invested in the basic rifle, I suppose I can afford to spend $250.00 on the scope and another $125.00 on the Brugger and Thomet mount.
      Freedom Of Speech does not include freedom from consequences.

When riding a horse, remember that you are not in control, but are just another voting member.

Comment

Working...
      X