• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rebarrelling my .308 DPMS AR

I have a .308 Sportical and LR-308T, both made by DPMS
    http://www.dpmsinc.com/308-SPORTICAL_ep_97-1.html
    http://www.dpmsinc.com/LR-308T_p_54.html

Both are super guns. They're accurate and reliable, but I wish I had gotten the one with a free floating barrel with a 20" barrel instead. I want to have similar.308 ARs, but set up for different missions. For my purposes, the Sportical is fine as is.

I found a 20" DPMS barrel at Numrichs for $120 and ordered it tonight:

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/ad/1492730.htm#1492280
    Originally posted by numrichs
    These 20" heavy barrels are chambered for .308 Win. (stamped 7.62x51). The barrels are machined from 4140 chrome moly steel and feature a matte black finish, 5/8x24 threaded muzzle, 1 in 10 twist rifling, and a A2 style front sight base with bayonet lug. "Classic" barrels are for use with triangular handguards and include a handguard cap and barrel nut. "Tactical" barrels are for use with free float tubes (barrel nut is not included).
    I want to swap the barrels out myself but I'm still new to .308 ARs and have a couple questions.

1) Do I need to replace the short free floating handguard with a longer one?

2) Will by 5.56 barrel wrench work?

3) Should I get a different brake on the 2" barrel and sell the 16" barrel with the one that came on it, or swap the brake?

Re: Rebarrelling my .308 DPMS AR

1. You should but measure the distance on your current rifle from the barrel nut to the gas block and compare specs with the new one.

2. If you have a wrench, look at your current rifle and see. You can always compare part numbers on the barrel nut for a .308 and 5.56. If they are the same, you are 5x5.

3. If you do not want to spend the money and the current one is not pinned in place, keep it. barrels are generally sold without flash hiders or comps installed (as pictured pretty much).
    There is no I' n team!
    [URL="http://www.cjcs-supply.net"]www.cjcs-supply.net[/URL]
    There are three types of people in the world: 1. Those that can count. 4. Those that can't.
    So, am I your man Mr. Dumbass? The name, is Dumaas!

Comment

Numrichs describes it as:
      AR15 .308 Win. DPMS Barrels
      So I figure it should go together OK. I figure it will fit, but worry that having a carbine length handguard on a 20" barrel will cause a problem or look stupid.

Comment

I just realized that I'll need a new gas tube for it too, and if I try to use the carbine length handguard the gas tube will be unprotected. I guess I'll have to order a new rifle length free floating handguard, and gas tube.

I want to mount a bipod on it too, so a railed handguard will make that easier anyhow.

Comment

Will a clamshell receiver vise work with .308 uppers? Hate to show my ignorance but I gotta ask. I've every tool needed for 5.56 AR's, flat top and carry handle models, considering building a .308 but I gotta have the proper equipment.
          "some people never let their given word interfere if something they want comes along"
          The real problem with the world are laws preventing culling.

Comment

.308 receiver is bigger and longer than an AR15 receiver. The clam shell and the in one the AR15 receiver pins into will not work.
            There is no I' n team!
            There are three types of people in the world: 1. Those that can count. 4. Those that can't.

Comment

Are the 5.56 and .308 gas tubes interchangable?

Comment

I do not think so. Key word is think, I do not know for sure.
                There is no I' n team!

Comment

Far as I know, the do use the same gas tube. Gas blocks change over also. Freefloat handguards do not change over, but lots of aftermarket companies do them nowdays and you just go order the .308 version. .750 gas blocks are pretty standard. .308s were the first to use midlength gas tubes, far as I know. Common setup is to run the gas system on a low profile gas block entirely under/inside the freefloat handguard.

Depending on the make and model of barrel wrench, some work some don't, some can be fairly easily adapted.
                  Life, Liberty and the pursuit of those who threaten them.

Comment

They shipped it, it should be arriving soon. When it comes in I'll pull out my calipers and take measurements on the new barrel and rifle before deciding how to proceed. I might end up just building a new .308AR from scratch if it looks like that will be the best bet. I want to end up with something similar in capability to this:

Comment

There are some other components on the market which have surpassed what the SR25 has been doing, but not by much.

Magpul has a better sniper stock, more along the lines of the PSG1 setup, a few companies do the PSG1 style grips for the ARs, not sure if the McCormick trigger group would work, but there is nothing significantly better out there for the 5.56 ARs.

On upper assemblies, there are a few good ones out there, but I personally like fluted barrels. Ares Armor has some set up with stainless barrels and a lighter weight freefloat handguard system that has attachable rail sections instead of rails covering the entire handguard and then rail covers that go over that. Ares Armor has an interesting muzzle brake called the "Ares Breath" which is kind of like the guts of a you know what, except they put steel pins around it to prevent you from just slipping a 2" tube over it and making it into one of those things without it being a one way trip. Personally, I think something with some sort of coupler is the better way to go but someday I would like to check out more of that stuff from Ares Armor.

The KAC muffler coupling system on those was clever for "during the ban" type stuff, where the front of the barrel goes up inside the can, but that kills compatibility with a lot of aftermarket cans. The thought now is to go with a slightly shorter barrel and then a coupling system on the muzzle device.

Optics, that optic is way too big. Acog 6X is chunky, but the thing is it is built like a tank and not too long.

Comment

I got it all together.

It's all put together!

I ended up just starting from scratch, except for using the Ar stock, buffer, and buffer tube from my DPMS.

I gathered all the parts and this was what they looked like before I assembled it:

For the complete build, I got the following:
                        $120 20" free floating barrel
                        $14 Birdcage flash hider and crush washer
                        $10 front sight post and spring
                        $145 DPMS high upper that came assembled with the FA and ejection port cover.
                        $159 midwest industries free floating handguard with three adjustable rail attachment points, a barrel nut and wrench
                        $169 phosphate BCG & CH
                        $179 fully assembled PTAC lower
                        $12 standard A2 gas tube and pin
                        $20 assemble upper and bore sight scope
                        $822

I swapped the collapsible buttstock with the fixed A2 buttstock assembly that came on the 16" DPMS .308 AR above that I bought a few months ago.

I installed a relatively cheap 3x9x42 illuminated mildot scope that came with a micro red dot holo site (which is on the 16" DPMS now, along with a set of BUIS) and quick release mount. The scope set was $129.

I still need to install the rails on the handguard and get a bipod for it.

I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out.

Comment

Looks good!

I hope you know you may have forced me to start a new project! LOL

Comment

I'd start here:
                            $439
                            http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...category/4387/
                            Barrel: 20" 416R Stainless Steel. Chambered in .308 Winchester, with a 1/10 twist, and a rifle-length gas system. Barrel is finished off with a front sight base, and A2 flash hider.
                            Upper: Forged 7075-T6 A3 AR upper is precision machined and hard coat anodized. These uppers are made for us right here in the USA by a mil-spec manufacturer.
                            Bolt Carrier Group: PA-10 bolt carrier group. 9310 steel Phosphated bolt, 8620 steel Carrier Phosphated outside and chrome lined inside, Gas Key Hardened to USGI Specifications, Fastened with Grade 8 screws, and Staked Per Mil-Spec.
                            Last edited by ISC; April 29, 2015, 01:52.

Comment

Wow, I had no idea a .308 AR could be built that cheap, let alone a decently capable one.

Comment

Working...
                              X