Price
    Reliabilty (goes bang when it should)
    Durability (stands up to abuse)
    Spare parts availability and price
    Magazine availability and price
    Handiness or Compactness
    Easy to strip and clean
    Battle proven

I was guessing a FAL Carbine would probably be the best choice based on the above factors.

Who makes quality FAL carbines for the money?

Who makes the absolute best FAL carbines if money is not an issue?

IF you dont agree with an FAL carbine, then what would you suggest?

Thanks in advance.

Price
    CETME Best 308 under $300, Saiga is another but mags are more pricier.

Reliabilty
    CETME, G3 clone

Durability
    really any except the M1A1

CETME, G3, FAL

CETME, G3, FAL

Handiness or Compactness
    AR-10 with collapsible stock
    and FAL

Easy to strip and clean
    FAL (AR-10 is easy too but dirtier)

Battle proven
    any

I was guessing a FAL Carbine would probably be the best choice based on the above factors.
    I don't think so, I prefer the AR-10

Who makes quality FAL carbines for the money?
    Ohio Rapid fire

Who makes the absolute best FAL carbines if money is not an issue?
    DSA but only because their finish is better than ORF

IF you dont agree with an FAL carbine, then what would you suggest?

My favorite 308 is the AR-10/SR-25, it has slightly better controls than the FAL and easier mag changes, but it has much more assesories and you can config it for MOUNT,CQB, SPR, SAM-R, Recce etc. and you can free float the barrel and by far the most accurate 208 semi I have.

Comment

I'd get a FAL but I think a G3 would do, too.

Both are reliable but the G3 with it's stamped receiver is more prone to getting misformed, and thus rendering it functionless.

Besides that, both rifles are a good choise, easy to clean and mag and parts are pretty cheap/available. It really boils upto availebility and preferance, but I'd go FAL for the milled receiver. Price is another issue, but if your thinking about a SHTF rifle THAT shoud not be the issue, it's your life we're talking about, right ?
      "Not all of them are terrorists"..."No, not all of them, but most of them are, and all it takes is most of them." -Eric Cartman

Comment

Springfield M1A, DSA SA-58, or PTR-91. All three are accurate, reliable, and deadly. There are others out there that are good but these are what I would stake my life on because they are what I know. How much is your life worth? If M1A's cost $20,000.00 I would still buy one because I know it would be there for me when the chips are down. Hope this helps.

Comment

Buy a copy of Boston's Gun Bible. Through his extensive reasearch and hands-on experience you will see why the M1A is rated the top battle rifle.

Comment

Are you talking about a real military M-14 or one of Springfields hit or miss quality comntrol rifles? I would love to own a M1-A but I have heard some of some serious problems with SA's quality control the past couple years?
            "some people never let their given word interfere if something they want comes along"
            The real problem with the world are laws preventing culling.

Comment

Why is is some people keep talking about SA quality control? I've never had any problems with either of mine. Sounds like more internet hype.

To answer your question, go with an M1A or quality FN, with a quality 91 in a close 3rd. Proven reliabilty, available magazines and parts, and simplicity.

If realibilty isn't an issue (ie not really a SHTF situation, then do whatever you heart desires, there are plenty of sound opinions here.

Of course, I am curious as to how you are going to rush out and buy the 10 or so firearms you have asked for guidance on. Maybe you should just start with a nice and simple .22, and then go from there.

And WTF is up with your screen name?

Comment

Gosh, but you are tough!

Your questions are recurring on all of the boards and the answer will shift from time-to-time depending upon availablity.

So, some comments.

Price

NO PRICE RANGE IS STATED.

Reliabilty (goes bang when it should)

MOST "MBRS" DO THIS.

Durability (stands up to abuse)

MOST "MBRS" DO THIS.

AGAIN, NO PRICE RANGE STATED. IF YOU WANT FUNCTIONALITY FOR 1,000 ROUNDS OR 10,000 ROUNDS, THE RESPONSE WILL USUALLY BE THE SAME: FIRING PIN, FIRING PIN SPRING, EXTRACTOR, EXTRACTOR SPRING, RECOIL SPRINGS, SCREWS AND LITTLE PARTS NORMALLY LOST.

PEOPLE ASSUME YOU NEED MAGAZINES. WHEN YOU ASSESS PROBABILITIES AND UPSIDES AND DOWNSIDES, YOUR AGE, YOUR PHYSICAL CONDITION AND SO FORTH, YOU MAY CONCLUDE THAT YOU NEED A LOT OF MAGAZINES, ONLY A FEW MAGAZINES, OR JUST CLIPS. IF YOU REALLY THINK THAT YOU ARE GOING TO RUN THROUGH A DOZEN MAGAZINES IN ONE ENCOUNTER AND COLLECT THE EMPTIES, OK. IF YOU ARE GETTING LONG IN THE TOOTH, MAYBE YOU JUST STICK TO GARAND CLIPS AND DON'T FIGURE ON PICKING THEM UP IN YOUR CIVILIAN ENCOUNTER.

Handiness or Compactness

YOU ARE GOING TO PAY THROUGH THE NOSE OR SPEND A LOT OF TIME. CAN YOU CONTOUR A WOODEN STOCK AND SKELETONIZE IT? OR ARE YOU WILLING TO PAY FOR A SYNTHETIC STOCK WHICH IS CONTOURED?

Easy to strip and clean

MOST ARE.

Battle proven
                MOST ARE.

YOU LEFT OUT THE MOST IMPORTANT CONSIDERATION FOR SOMEONE OVER THE AGE OF 25 OR WITH LESS THAN PERFECT EYESIGHT. WHAT ABOUT OPTICS? WHEN YOU ARE 60 YEARS OLD AND CANNOT NOT SEE THE TARGET AT 600 YARDS WITH IRON SIGHTS, WHAT DO YOU DO? WHEN YOU PICK UP AN AR15 AND FIND OUT TO YOUR CHAGRIN THAT IT HAS NO LOW LIGHT OR NIGHT FIGHTING ABILITY BECAUSE THE IRON SIGHTS ARE RADICALLY OFFSET TO THE BORE AXIS, WHAT DO YOU DO? WHEN YOU UNDERSTAND THAT MOST COMBAT IS IN LOW LIGHT, AT NIGHT, IN SMOKE, IN DIM ALLEYWAYS, IN UNLIT ROOMS, WHAT ABOUT THE OPTICS?

WHAT RANGE DO YOU WANT TO OPERATE AT? IF IT IS 600 YARDS AND YOU ARE WILLING TO GIVE UP SOME ACCURACY AND CARRY SOME WEIGHT, THEN GET A DCM GARAND IN 30-06, AN AMEGA RANGES' FORWARD SCOPE MOUNT (YEAH, I HAVE TWO NO TAP NO DRILL FORWARD MOUNTED GARANDS) AND A LEUPOLD 2.5X OR bURRIS 2.75X SCOUT SCOPE.

IT IS ALL A MATTER OF DOLLARS. I WOULD NOT BE ABLE TO BUY A DECENT MBR, OPTICS, FACTORY (I REPEAT FRESH FACTORY AMMO), THE APPROPRIATE NUMBER OF MAGAZINES, SPARE PARTS FOR A LIFETIME, AND A MINIMUM LOAD OUT WITH APPROPRIATE GEAR FOR UNDER $2000. AND THEN YOU REALLY NEED TO PAY SOMEONE TO GIVE YOU TRAINING.

THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WRONG WITH AN FNFAL. WHAT WOULD BE WRONG IS TO BUY ONE, NOT STUDY BALLISTICS, NOT BE TRAINED WELL ENOUGH TO HIT WHAT YOU WANT TO HIT FROM 1 YARD TO 900 YARDS. AND YES, WITH APPROPRIATE TRAINING, YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO HIT 900 YARDS WITH THE USE OF BALLISTICS AND DECENT OPTICS.

Comment

Originally posted by jensenmk:
                  Of course, I am curious as to how you are going to rush out and buy the 10 or so firearms you have asked for guidance on. Maybe you should just start with a nice and simple .22, and then go from there.
                  Well I am not going to rush out and buy any firearm until I know what I am buying. That is why I am asking so many questions

I am just trying to get some good ideas before I upgrade my from my makarov and Sar-2

And WTF is up with your screen name? [/QB]
                  I bet you will never guess what usamma means, its a secret, but I will tell you if you would happen to guess correctly. [img]smile.gif[/img]

But I will thank you for your input as far as MBR goes

Comment

You aren't a cadidiot, are you?

Comment

You aren't a cadidiot, are you?
                      No, I was rejected from military service due to a nasty allergy to stinging insects.

I was however in ROTC while I attended college, this is where I learned to shoot (expert I might add) and I learned about firearms in general.

USAMMA is just an acronym for United States of America Mixed Martial Arts or MMA for short. Which is what I also do in my spare time when I am not at work.

Just a screen name I choose since I really enjoy the sport.

Anyway thanks again for your input

Comment

It seems all info put together, did not answer your quiery.

Try this on for size; www.Tacticalrifles.com , sized down FAL upper on AR15 lower. Caliber .223, or 6.8spc. The furniture on this rifle can be changed easily. Expensive rifle.

www.Alexanderarms.com , AR15 can host five different calibers. .50 Beowulf excellent round, expensive ammo.

AR15 www.model1sales.com , AR15 kits, 5.56, 7.62x39, .300 fireball, 6.8spc.

At this time, for the money, AR15 7.62x39mm, using the 154gr.SP gives CQB out to 200yd. Mount a T168 scope, which www.clearviewinvest.com has on sale now, on a A3 upper with folding rear and front sights. If you order from Model1sales, ask for the 4sided gasblock so you can mount a taclite, laserlite, and slingswivel. And then finish it off with a Vortex flash hider from www.smithenterprise.com

If we are talking sniper distance, then go for the .338 lapua in bolt action. Then mount a 6x24x50 scope, www.kalinkaoptics.com has one with rangefinder.

Good luck

[ May 11, 2005, 07:49: Message edited by: FirstShirt ]

Comment

Fal, 20 mags, 2 cases of the appropiate ammo put back in the proper protective wrap/container and a spares kit plus a DSA scope mount gives you the ability to do what everyone above has thrown at you. One point unless you are in a group if you intend to open up at 600 meters on a large organized force instead of padding softly away you really need ot study tactics. GPMG, MA Duce, and Motar fire ain't fun to be on the incoming side of and and an organized force is likely to have one or more of those. The rifle is only a tool, the weapon is your mind.
                          What Will You Do Without Freedom? Will You Fight? Fight and You May Die.Run and You Will Live, At Least a While. And Dying In Your Beds, Many Years From Now,Would You Be Willing to Trade All The Days From This Day to That, For One Chance, Just One Chance, To Come Back Here And Tell Our Enemies They May Take Our Lives But They\'ll Never Take Our FREEDOM!!!

Comment

I would recommend a Fal rifle. This is how I would recommend going about it...
                            First buy a gear-logo Imbel recv'er,(from Dealers Warehouse or other source - new, w/a metric-mag cut, even if it's cut to fit an inch patt charging handle). Then buy a Commonwealth{English or Aussie}, inch patt rifle kit, if one of these can't be found in NRA-Very Good or Excellent condition, then seek a Belgium or Austrian metric rifle kit in NRA-VG,Exclnt condition. (The South American-Imbel kits are a third choice, the South African or R1 are a fourth choice, the Isreali kits are actually right up there with the Commonwealth kits but are harder to come by. The Ishpore or Indian kits are a last choice... even behind an AR/AK varient. )
                            Then pick the seven required US parts needed to build the rifle legally. You may also need to build/buy a barrel vise/clamp & recv'r wrench to build the rifle yourself,(don't panic, it's not nearly as hard as some would have you think).

Once you have found/gathered all the parts, you need to study up on the Fal rifle so that you know just how it works... properly. This needs to be done whether or not you build your own Fal rifle but merely intend on owning one. (Just as the MBR is intended for self defence, so would this proper, working knowledge of exactly how this rifle works is selfe defence also). If you don't know how the rifle works and how it's supposed to be properly assembled, you may always be at the mercy of someone else to do this for you... and at your expense.

Then there's the accessories and ammo... IMHO a minimum of 20 mags, min- 2 cases of ammo(portugese, black hills, federal, or other quality ammo only), a good sling(a surplus M14/M1A works fine), mag pouches/vest, sight adj tools, cleaning tools/kit, etc, etc.

Keep in mind, I'm not telling what to do, this is only a recommendation. But I think this will be the most reliable, cost effective, and handy MBR you may find just moving into the "MBR World" cold.

Fals are effective from 0 to 1000+yds ranges*, 308cal/7.62nato has a excellent stopping power against soft targets and a good amount of hard targets, the parts and accessories can still be redily found or are now being American made and at an affordable cost, and the cost can be reasonably kept to a min with some knowledge and a bit of 'hunting' on your part. This rifle may now be considered a "U.S. Common" rifle and can be built to go 'toe to toe' with the M1A rifle systems in most cases.
                            With a bit of networking and 'tapping into' other's knowledge on this type rifle, you can come out on top of the MBR World with only about 2/3rds the cost of an M1A or AR10 of the same type of configuration.

IHTH, IMHO

Michael

P.S. I'd be happy to 'walk you through' the building of a Fal type rifle or stear you in the direction of those that can do a great build for you at a reasonable cost.

Comment

When the SHTF, will yoiu be holed up in your home/bunker, or out running around the countryside, keeping your ass one step ahead of the badguys?

If holed up, CETME/FAL and some crates of ammo at every manned window & doorway would be appropriate.

If on the run, I'd hate to be lugging that FAL & a ton of ammo, so I'd likely carry the trusty AK & bunches of bandolier ammo/mags. Drop the FAL into that mud puddle & the BG's will catch you, since you'll be unable to take another step until it's all clean & shiney, while the lowly AK will function despite the lack of cosmetic sparkle.

Comment

Working...
                              X