Seriously

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seriously

Have any of you guys ever had a real honest-to-goodness "hangfire"? I have heard of them for years, but let me tell ya, the real deal is unnerving. Not scary so much, unnerving. What do think causes it, besides the obvious possibility of a bad primer. That theory is negated by it happening multiple times, same rifle, load, etc.
    Guido

Re: Seriously

weak primer strike?
    "SI *VIS *PACEM, *PARA *BELLUM"
    [URL]http://survivalblog.com[/URL]
    MOLON LABE!
    AC0XV

Comment

I shot up some old .303 that had some serious hang fires in the batch. I think they were dated 1913. quite a few had 1 0r 2 second delays before firing. There were a few duds but 2 of them were really memorable.
      The firing ping would hit them and at first I thought they were duds but you could hear a sizzling sound from them. After 6 to 8 seconds they would fire. It was really interesting waiting on the duds. I gave them 2 minutes before ejecting them. None of the hang fires seemed to have any less power than the normal rounds.

Comment

The stuff involved in my case is all fresh powder, primers, brass, the works. In a Weatherby magnum and a reduction in charge weight SO FAR has cured it. Surely a mystery to me.
        Guido

Comment

Couple of possibilities then for it. Oil or solvent contamination of primers and/or powder. For example was WD-40 ever used around the gun? I ask as it CAN/WILL penetrate around primers. How about the solvent used in the barrel? Was a clean patch run thru BEFORE firing? If not then there is a possibility. If reloads did you use a sealant on the primers.

I have also seen it because of oil on the bullets and lube from cast bullets.

Comment

Only time I ever had hangfires was when shooting muzzle loaders. Either bad propellant or not getting enough of the cleaner out of the gun was the cause. Harder'n heck to hit anything with a pop....BOOM!
            "some people never let their given word interfere if something they want comes along"
            The real problem with the world are laws preventing culling.

Comment

Had it happen years ago with a shotgun while dove hunting. Most were hang fires and a few duds too. Traced back to my ammo box having oil spilt in it and it soaked into the primers. Ending up throwing out quit a few 12 ga birdshot. This is the only time it's ever happened to me.
              God, Guns, and Guts made this country...let's keep all three

Comment

Thanks for the ideas. Oil contamination is a possibility and I will check it out and eliminate that possibility. The WD 40 does not apply here because I am positive it has been nowhere near the gun or the loading. I had never considered the possibility of oil residue before. Many thanks.
                Guido

Comment

Yes I know about hangfires, a "gunsmith" built a rifle for me several years ago. He installed a PTG bolt and transferred the firing pin and spring from my stock bolt in the new bolt. He neglected to check firing pin protrusion, and it was too short. I didn't shoot a group at all. One day while trying to figure it out, I held my head off the stock and watched the firing pin drop. On some shots you couldn't see the firing pin move on others a full second passed before the gun went off. I had been trying for months to figure it out so it had been shot many times and hangfire shots have way more pressure than normal. The barrel had maybe 300 shoots through it but the new match barrel was toast, fire cracked for 4 inches in front of the chamber. GreTan fixed the bolt and the Col. put a new barrel on it. Last time I shot it I killed a doe at my friends house 395 yds.

Comment

Working...
                  X