Picked up a new(to me), never fired rifle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Picked up a new(to me), never fired rifle

As stated, it is new to me, but actually I'm the second owner, and the guy never fired it. Savage 10 fcp-k model in 308.

With a 24" barrel and 1-10 twist, nice muzzle brake. It should like 168 - 175 grain bullets quite well.
    It's got what appears to be a factory picatinny rail on the receiver, and looks like 20MOA incline to it.
    Also, it came with the DarkEagle 10 round mag, the Harris full pivot bipod, and an adjustable monopod on the rear sling tab.

I'm working a deal with a guy to pick up a Zeiss Hensoldt ZF 4-16x56mm FF Rifle Scope for it.

A good write-up on the scope Here.

For the rifle, here
    [CENTER][SIZE=1]“Corruptissima republica plurimae leges,”[/SIZE][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][SIZE=1]“The more corrupt the republic, the more numerous the laws.”[/SIZE][/CENTER]

[CENTER][SIZE=1]Publius Cornelius Tacitus[/SIZE][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][SIZE=1][/SIZE] [/CENTER]
    [CENTER][SIZE=1]Sic Semper Tyrannis[/SIZE][/CENTER]

Re: Picked up a new(to me), never fired rifle

That sounds very nice. Pictures when you can.
    [I]Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation...Strategic Air Command[/I]

American by birth, made from German parts from Emmingen, Baden-Württemberg

An unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!

Das Leben ist zu kurz, um billiges Bier zu trinken!

Comment

I meant to ask for recommendations of ammo.
      I do roll my own, and with a few PSS Remington's years ago, I used 168 gr Match King HPBT and they worked superb for that rifle.

I didn't like 155gr loads, it seemed to me, they were all over the place.

I want to try 175gr loads. Anyone have suggestions on powder, cases, primers, etc?

TIA
      [CENTER][SIZE=1]“The more corrupt the republic, the more numerous the laws.”[/SIZE][/CENTER]

Comment

Comment

Man, that's nice glass. It really doesn't get much nicer than that.
          [I]Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation...Strategic Air Command[/I]

American by birth, made from German parts from Emmingen, Baden-Württemberg

An unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!

Das Leben ist zu kurz, um billiges Bier zu trinken!

Comment

Originally posted by Herr Walther View Post
            Man, that's nice glass. It really doesn't get much nicer than that.
            Thanks.

This thing is ------ unreal.
            The only other thing I'm going to add to this is a bubble level inclinometer, and an ARD. That's it.
            I was going to buy a shade for it. But with an ARD I don't think I'll need a shade.

Comment

I doubt you'll do better than the Match King. Yeah its possible you might find the odd rifle that doesn't shoot well with them but usually its just a case of finding the right powder. I use Federal Match primers with 44 grain of Varget in my 10FLCP and after break in, it will do an inch at 200 yards all day if I do my part. Mine actually does almost as good with 165 Nosler Ballistic Tips seated about .020 off the lands, most accurate hunting bullet I've found, with Sierra Game Kings not too far behind.
              "some people never let their given word interfere if something they want comes along"
              The real problem with the world are laws preventing culling.

Comment

I used to reload a lot for the Remmy 700 PSS, and a German sniper rifle I had back when. Even some for the M1A, NM when I had it.
                I used 168 SMK's in those, and they all did quite well.

I was using 748 or 760 if my memory serves me correctly.
                I used some 4046, and it was OK.

I was using match primers, match cases, and the SMK's.
                I've still got some of those LC Match cases on hand.

Comment

Before the insanity hit I managed to get hold of about 1,500 pieces Black Hills Match, its made by whoever does Winchester, I've had pretty good luck with it. I'd really hate to have to find any amount of good .308 brass now. The reason for my switch to Varget is the small variation when shooting from winter to summer.
                  "some people never let their given word interfere if something they want comes along"
                  The real problem with the world are laws preventing culling.

Comment

Missed my chance to range test it.
                    Had a serious storm a few days ago. Snowed again last night, finally stopped mid afternoon.
                    Snow everywhere, damn. The air is as clear as I've seen in a long time though.

Comment

for 308 I like 748, 4895, 4064 and Varget - I use Winchester cases and CCI primers

Funny thing - one of my friends bought a savage was getting what I considered good groups,
                      but he insisted that with a factory barrel he could get a shilen barrel and it would group even
                      better - it didn't. I was told in a long range rifle class that Savage puts their money into the
                      barrels and Remington puts theirs into the actions - seems to hold true.
                      FAT I\'m not fat, I\'m Tactically Padded

Comment

Originally posted by Artful View Post
                        I was told in a long range rifle class that Savage puts their money into the
                        barrels and Remington puts theirs into the actions - seems to hold true.
                        I had a 10FP about 13 years ago, and it liked 168 SMK's. I used the LC Match cases then, and CCI Magnum primers.
                        I believe my best loads were with 4064 on the Savage. I used the COAL gauge to determine optimum spacing between ogive and lands. IIRC, .020 was ideal! I was getting .200" at 100 yds.

The German snipe rifle (Krico 600 Sniper) I had then, would do just under that with the same bullet specs.

I'm going to be getting that rifle back, this Summer.

Comment

Originally posted by Iowegan View Post
                          Missed my chance to range test it.
                          Had a serious storm a few days ago. Snowed again last night, finally stopped mid afternoon.
                          Snow everywhere, damn. The air is as clear as I've seen in a long time though.
                          I know WELL what you mean. The BEST day I ever had at the club range where I shot, was 10 degrees and frosty clear.

For some reason the temps kept others in the club inside! LOL

Got to admit I had my silk long johns, regular long johns, German wool field pants and Brit wool commando sweater on. Got too hot with my field jacket on. LOL

Comment

Working...
                          X