Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7.62x54r other than a Mosin?

Hello AW,
    Does anyone produce a new bolt action riffle in 7.62x54r? I haven't been able to find anything that isn't some type of MN chambered in that round.

TIA
    It's all fun and eyes until someone looses a game!

You can't spell MEAN without ME!

Re: 7.62x54r other than a Mosin?

A gunsmith can use a chamber reamer on a 303 Brit and you can use 54R then. A number of years back (20+) Remington did some 700's in 54R (FIRR).

Comment

I also do believe that some Styer SSG's were imported in 7.62x54R. Many years ago Winchester made some 1895 lever actions in 7.62x54R also.

Comment

Originally posted by mgjohn View Post
        I also do believe that some Styer SSG's were imported in 7.62x54R. Many years ago Winchester made some 1895 lever actions in 7.62x54R also.
        Bet that lever action had some nice kick to it.

Comment

Not bolt action , semi auto , Romanian PSL/FPK 7.62x54r
          "[COLOR=#FF0000]Then out spoke brave Horatius, the Captain of the Gate. To every man upon this earth Death cometh soon or late. And how can man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers, and the temples of his Gods"[/COLOR]

Comment

Why? Aren't the ballistics similar to a 30-06?

Comment

I'm guessing the interest is because of the cheap ammo supply for the russian round.

Comment

Originally posted by ISC View Post
                I'm guessing the interest is because of the cheap ammo supply for the russian round.
                Indeed it is! I'm working on my "sniper mosin" and was just wondering what else was out there that accepts 7.62x54r. I'm prolly just going to D&T one of those "Excellent Condition" Mosins that Classicarms has available. That's probably as close to new as possible.

Comment

I am going to catch some flames here, but "Sniper" and "Mosin" do not go together, unless your looking for a historical collector. A dragonuv/SVD rifle uses the 7.62x54 Russian, which is an actual sniper rifle system. Like so many of us, we don't need another 30 caliber rifle so you can at least have interchangeability of ammo.
                  If it is the cheap and/or AP ammo available in 7.62x54r that you want, you can pull the bullets with a $20 bullet puller from Midway. Of course you will then need to reload it for your Lee Enfield in .303 British. This may sound odd, but .303 British is actually around .311 diameter, so it can be loaded for a Lee Enfield. In my opinion, an Enfield is a much better all around rifle, and No 4 can be scope fitted relatively easy. Take actual measurements of the bullets, and you will see what I mean. The moral of this story is that you can make other rifles work. Of course if you want an inexpensive precision shooter, just get a new made savage rifle in .308.

An excellent story of a German sniper using a Russian sniper rifle on WW2 can be found in "Sniper on the Eastern Front" by Joseph "Sepp" Allenberger.

Overall, just enjoy the Mosin for what it is, and don't try and make it what it's not. There is a reason the Russians aren't still using them. or maybe they are

Comment

Originally posted by combfoot View Post
                    I am going to catch some flames here, but "Sniper" and "Mosin" do not go together, unless your looking for a historical collector. A dragonuv/SVD rifle uses the 7.62x54 Russian, which is an actual sniper rifle system. Like so many of us, we don't need another 30 caliber rifle so you can at least have interchangeability of ammo.
                    If it is the cheap and/or AP ammo available in 7.62x54r that you want, you can pull the bullets with a $20 bullet puller from Midway. Of course you will then need to reload it for your Lee Enfield in .303 British. This may sound odd, but .303 British is actually around .311 diameter, so it can be loaded for a Lee Enfield. In my opinion, an Enfield is a much better all around rifle, and No 4 can be scope fitted relatively easy. Take actual measurements of the bullets, and you will see what I mean. The moral of this story is that you can make other rifles work. Of course if you want an inexpensive precision shooter, just get a new made savage rifle in .308.

An excellent story of a German sniper using a Russian sniper rifle on WW2 can be found in "Sniper on the Eastern Front" by Joseph "Sepp" Allenberger.

Overall, just enjoy the Mosin for what it is, and don't try and make it what it's not. There is a reason the Russians aren't still using them. or maybe they are

I know what you mean. I'm not trying to make a REAL sniper riffle though. I just enjoy the Mosins I have and thought scoping one would be fun. AND since I have to do the bolt, might as well put it on a comfy stock and do some 1000 yard shooting. I know the irons can get me there but I don't have anything scoped for distance so that's my little plan. Perhaps not the optimum but I think I'll get some pretty good results for relatively short money.

The whole project started off rather innocent and has sort of snowballed. I'm sure you understand.

I do like your Enfield idea. Those are pretty smooth and sharp shooters.

Comment

You can Russian made Mosin "snipers" that are not original WWII but made later. They cost about $400 wholesale. I agree the PSL is a better deal though. Thx-Ace

Comment

You might take a look at this rifle that J&G Sales has. http://www.jgsales.com/product_info....oducts_id/4438
                        "SI *VIS *PACEM, *PARA *BELLUM"
                        [URL]http://survivalblog.com[/URL]
                        MOLON LABE!
                        AC0XV

Comment

Anyone that claims Mosins can't be accurate must not have shot a decent Finnish mosin.

Comment

Originally posted by Papadoc View Post
                            You might take a look at this rifle that J&G Sales has. http://www.jgsales.com/product_info....oducts_id/4438

That is one arrousing Mosin!!!

Comment

Having two PSL's and one 'Sniper' Mosin currently, I hate to tell you but the Mosin is more accurate. The PSL is not a true sniper rifle, it is a designated marksman rifle made cheaply by the Romanians.

A good trued bolt action will always be more accurate than a semi sniper rifle and that is coming from one who carried a semi sniper (M21) for two years in combat. The semi had the advantage of quick follow up shots which are sometimes needed.

I had my choice of a bolt action Remington and Winchester and the M-21. While the bolt actions were WAY more accurate out beyond 800 yards, there were not that many shots that long being taken in Vietnam.

This is true also with the M-24 (bolt action) and the new M-25 (Updated M-21) and whatever number they have assigned to the new AR's in 308 we are using.

Comment

Working...
                              X