Metal Checkering?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metal Checkering?

I have a Ruger SP 101 that I dearly love, except for one thing. The hammer is checkered on top, but it is not a sharp checkering and doesn't offer a good grip for my thumb. I have a Ruger GP 100 that has great checkering and is easy to cock with no slippage at all. I don't really want to learn a new "skill", especially with my arthritic hands, and frankly I like the little pistol well enough to have a professional job done on it. Any recommendations for someone offering a metal checkering service?
    arkyboy
    I\'d rather dial 1911!

Re: Metal Checkering?

Arky, you can get a checkering file from Brownell's. it ain't hard to do for a part that small and you already have a pattern laid out for you.

Find out what the lines per inch is on the pattern you have and order that file. You can bring those points up in no time.

Doing a front strap or rear strap is a different matter all together. Or just send it down the road to Ed Brown.
    [I]Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation...Strategic Air Command[/I]

American by birth, made from German parts from Emmingen, Baden-Württemberg

An unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!

Das Leben ist zu kurz, um billiges Bier zu trinken!

Comment

Just quit cocking the dang thing and pull the trigger!
      "some people never let their given word interfere if something they want comes along"
      The real problem with the world are laws preventing culling.

Comment

Next time I see you I'm going to give you the arthritis in my trigger finger!
        arkyboy
        I\'d rather dial 1911!

Comment

I got a fix for that too......use the OTHER trigger finger! Us normal folks use the left one already.
          "some people never let their given word interfere if something they want comes along"

Comment

What was the old story? Something about southpaws and moose poots...but I can't remember just how it goes.
            arkyboy
            I\'d rather dial 1911!

Comment

NONONO! God made a few good people, then he made the rest of you **** RIGHT handed!

Comment

You just keep on believin' that!
                arkyboy
                I\'d rather dial 1911!

Comment

I tried shooting a handgun left handed once. It didn't work well.

Some smartazz at the range said something about "Was I trying to become ambidexterous?" I done told him not to be calling me a pervert and took about three shots at him.

He was lucky I had the pistol in my left hand, 'cause I'd have got him if I'd been shooting with the proper hand.

Alle Kunst ist umsunst Wenn ein Engel auf das Zundloch brunzet (All skill is in vain if an angel pisses down the touch-hole of your musket.) Old German Folk Wisdom.

Comment

I'm left handed. I shot left handed until I was in my 20's. Then I finally got fed up with hot M16 brass going down my BDU blouse or t-shirt so said screw it - I'm going to try right-handed.

Turns out I'm right eye dominant and that was the best thing I could have ever done. It took very little time to adjust and now I'm at the point where I can still shoot well left handed, but it feels funny. But my marksmanship instantly improved as soon as I switched. You'd kind of think in basic training (Army) they would have you figure out your dominant eye as part of BRM, but they didn't. Wouldn't be surprised if the USMC does since they put a lot more emphasis on weapon proficiency.

I kind of like it too. I feel like I actually have better retention of the weapon if someone were to try to wrestle it away. Maybe not, but my stronger arm is free to fight back instead of clutching a weapon so it feels that way.

Back on topic - yeah a "checkering file" is exactly what you want. 20 lines per inch is pretty common on firearms, but see what yours is before ordering a tool. You count that the same way you count tpi on a machine screw.
                    They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.<br /><br />-- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Handguns, I miss equally well with either hand. Rifles and shotguns? Right hand?, HA! thats a joke that ain't funny, not one bit. I did a bit of right hand shooting when doing IPSC but never matched my left hand scores, then came February 1999, left arm shattered in a vehicle accident. I was forced to buy right hand holsters and really work at right hand shooting, a practice I continue today, I shoot a many round from my right as my left. An injury is something we all need to seriously think about and prepare for ahead of that time.

Comment

Working...
                      X