Ok you wood stainers, need advice..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok you wood stainers, need advice..

I want to do some firearms furniture refinishing, can't stand the blonde it has now. Would prefer something with a red tint but not real dark, like to see the wood grain some. Any idea what sort of stain I need and what I'll need for ther sealer? Tung oil maybe? Or?? HELP!
    "some people never let their given word interfere if something they want comes along"
    The real problem with the world are laws preventing culling.

Re: Ok you wood stainers, need advice..

I would go down to the hardware store and take a look at the Min-Wax stain they probably have. There is usually a sample board too so you can see what the wood will look like using pine and oak.

Just pick out the color you like and go to town. I usually apply it with a rag and let it dry for several hours or even overnight before fooling with it.

I've never used any on a rifle stock, but plenty of other projects.

This M48 OB stock was only sanded finely and waxed. It has nothing else on it.

[I]Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation...Strategic Air Command[/I]

American by birth, made from German parts from Emmingen, Baden-Württemberg

An unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!

Das Leben ist zu kurz, um billiges Bier zu trinken!

Comment

Solar-Lux medium brown walnut (B503-6A205) from Behlen is what I used on your shotgun stock. It actually comes out a red color and you can control the darkness by the number of coats used. It's an alcohol based stain and a good choice to duplicate some reddish military colors. Very easy to use. http://www.hbehlen.com/products.asp
      arkyboy
      I\'d rather dial 1911!

Comment

Once upon a time I was so desperate that I bought a can of Burgandy spray paint, painted the wood then used paint thinner to wipe it off, just leaving a hint of red. Then used a spray can of some sort of sealer. Did this with a SAR-1, surprisingly (miracle?) it actually looked pretty good.
        "some people never let their given word interfere if something they want comes along"

Comment

Brownell's sell several of the "Pre-1964 Winchester Red" stains.
          This is the old red wood finish as used by most American gun makers in the old days.

These are either water-alcohol based, or spirit based that penetrate deeply and instantly.
          Unlike hardware store stains, these don't just lay there on the surface, they sink in instantly.

I used to use water based leather dyes to stain wood. You can mix your own colors easily to get any color you want.

After staining use whatever finish you want from polyurethane to some sort of oil finish.

The absolutely toughest, most durable, and water proof oil finish I ever found was Min-Wax Antique Oil Finish.
          This seems to be an oil finish since it smells like it. Unlike most oil finishes it's a lot faster and dries to a glass hard finish.
          You can use it as a surface finish, or best use it as an old fashioned "in the wood" finish that has no coating on the surface. All the finish is IN the wood.
          It's a once in a life time finish because if it gets damaged you simply apply more.

Here's a thread on another forum where I describe how it's done:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=240961

Comment

You mention stain just sitting on top of the wood, had this too many times to count. So called varnish stains just dont cut it.

Comment

Minwax Red Oak, then follow up with linseed oil.
              Life, Liberty and the pursuit of those who threaten them.

Comment

Good Luck!

I have YET........to have a wood finishing project, to turn out, as I had it in my mind.....

And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgement was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands: and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years. Rev. Chap.20 Vs.4)

Comment

First you must prepare the wood.
                  sand paper 80 down to 600 and 00000 steel wool
                  Then the stain.
                  I used Minwax walnut but the Hippy said it has a smell and it did.
                  Best way i found is:
                  Sand and polish
                  Tru-oil stain
                  Tru-oil filler
                  Tru-oil finisher ( 7 coats steel wood after the first 6 coats) applied with a clean ptch. let dry ..a day between coats.
                  Polish with a good wood wax. ( 7) coats

karl
                  Karl

[url]http://grrrscave.blogspot.com/[/url]

Keep those e-mails and calls to your Congress people coming.

Comment

Working...
                  X