Found A "New "Refinish" project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found A "New "Refinish" project

I did some refinish work recently for a friend and he gave me a project gun to play with. 1917 Lee Enfield No. I, Mk. III. Was wrapped in rags in a damp old barn for years, amazingly the bore looks very nice and the bolt had been taken out and stored with the rifle in a plastic bag, so it's not in bad shape. Always a sucker for putting something like this back in service, I decided to find a replacement safety and butt plate for it and refinish it. Has been sporterized, but the barrel was not cut down, and it will go back that way for the time being. Original military wood for these can be expensive, but if I ever run across a good deal on a stock set I will put it back to it's original configuration. I'll post pics when I get it refinished.
    arkyboy

Once upon a time it looked like this.
    Last edited by arkyboy; August 21, 2015, 13:33.
    I\'d rather dial 1911!

Re: Found A "New "Refinish" project

My opinion one of the most attractive bolt guns ever made. A "Jungle" model was my favorite.
    "some people never let their given word interfere if something they want comes along"
    The real problem with the world are laws preventing culling.

Comment

I reall want to see this when you're finished with it.
      [I]Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation...Strategic Air Command[/I]

American by birth, made from German parts from Emmingen, Baden-Württemberg

An unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!

Das Leben ist zu kurz, um billiges Bier zu trinken!

Comment

I'm working 12 hr. nights this week, but am doing a little work on this project. I don't usually jump into a project like this all at once anyway since there are so many steps that require sanding, painting with filler, waiting 24 hrs. for the filler to dry before repeating the process to fill pitting. I just hit it a lick at a time when I have a little spare time to play with it. Started on the mag yesterday. Sandblasted, then sprayed the filler and sanded with paper. This is the first layer of filler and it will take at least 2 more repeats of the process to get the pits all filled. If you've ever done bodywork on a car, it's the same process, just that the Duracoat I'm going to use on this project is made especially for guns and is much harder than normal paint.
        arkyboy
        Before any work:

After Sandblasting:

After Sanding the filler.

What the first filling of the pits would look like if it was painted now. It will take at least 2 more fill/sanding processes to get it all filled.
        I\'d rather dial 1911!

Comment

What are you filling with? I've used JB Weld before for deep things that would take forever to build up otherwise. Just put a dab on & then go over with a credit card or flexible putty knife to remove excess. It sands ok & after blasting & coating you don't see it.

I al oxide blast & then wipe down with acetone so it has a good surface to bond & it seems to be a strong repair.

Can't wait to see the finished project. I've only done a couple but never anything in that bad shape to start.

If you want any parts done in Cerakote let me know.
          They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.<br /><br />-- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Re: Found A &quot;New &quot;Refinish&quot; project

I've never tried JB Weld, but don't see why it wouldn't work just fine. I use 2 part epoxy glue for deep pits. A little slow to work with, but very tough and heat resistant. For light pitting, as in the case with this project, I am using a rust preventative spray enamel from Dollar General. Miracal is the brand name, and it is quality stuff for the price, about $2.50 for an 8 oz aerosol can. Not dry like black primer, but more sandable than standard black enamel and it fills well.
            Never tried Ceracote either. Started using Duracoat and liked it so well I've never tried anything else.
            arkyboy
            Last edited by arkyboy; September 3, 2015, 14:05.
            I\'d rather dial 1911!

Comment

I had a pistol to Duracoat this morning in the same Matt Black that I am going to use on this Enfield, so I thought I might as well finish the mag. At least that part is all ready to go.
              arkyboy

Last edited by arkyboy; September 3, 2015, 16:30.
              I\'d rather dial 1911!

Comment

Did a Duracoat project for a friend today...couldn't resist doing the trigger guard and screws for this one while I was at it. Crappy picture, but...
                arkyboy
                I\'d rather dial 1911!

Comment

I can testify first hand as to the jobs you do. First rate. MY AK looks great!
                  "some people never let their given word interfere if something they want comes along"

Comment

Thanks, glad you like it! Duracoat was actually developed to use over parkerizing. I've never had a problem with using it on bare metal, as long as the metal has been sandblasted to give it something to hold onto, but using it over parkerizing should give a double layer of protection. I like the way you have that AK set up. Fits me much better than a standard AK stock. Where did you find that flash hider? That's just plum sexy!
                    arkyboy
                    I\'d rather dial 1911!

Comment

That brake came of Ebay, M&M Chaos brake. About 25 bucks. You take good pictures too! Old Mak ain't bad if I say so myself, prefer wood furniture though. Just in case..The Stock is from Phoenix Arms, 35 bucks, love the storage compartment it has.

Comment

I like it...may have to find one for my underfolder. The original brake with the slant always looked crooked to me.
                        arkyboy
                        I\'d rather dial 1911!

Comment

That is nice work sir.
                          I have to say, I am good but your work is better.
                          karl
                          Karl

[url]http://grrrscave.blogspot.com/[/url]

Keep those e-mails and calls to your Congress people coming.

Comment

Working...
                          X