Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grip tape (non skid tape) on a stock/grip?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grip tape (non skid tape) on a stock/grip?

I just got another AK and it has non skid tape on the lower handguard (brown US poly)I had one awhile back with the same stuff on it. They were acquired a thousand miles apart from each other.

My first reaction was mostly negative, but it's starting to grow on me. I have to wonder how it would hold up to field use though.

I bet it would be a great addition to a pump action gun...

Re: Grip tape (non skid tape) on a stock/grip?

I have several 1911's I use it on and a couple of 1st gen Glock 17's. Holds up fairly well and easy to replace when needed.

Comment

Rather than screw up the frame on my 100% German made SIG-Sauer P220 by stippling it, I used non-skid tape on the front strap.

I just took a few simple measurements and cut out a piece with scissors. It looks very aftermarket and you can't tell it's a DIY job. I had to cut a few though, it's tough measuring a curved surface with a straight rule.

It greatly improves the grip without looking trashy or gaudy.
      [I]Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation...Strategic Air Command[/I]

American by birth, made from German parts from Emmingen, Baden-Württemberg

An unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!

Das Leben ist zu kurz, um billiges Bier zu trinken!

Comment

I've tried it on a couple of handguns that I thought were not quite "grippy" enough to suit me. It was overkill in that function. I want a grip on the thing, but I've got to be able to move my hand when I want to also. Having to either pry my fingers loose or having it wear holes in my skin are not acceptable alternatives.

I can see where it would be nice on the foregrip of a rifle, or probably on the slide of a pump shotgun, but for handgun grips, it kind'a sucks. YMMV, but that's my take on it. I wouldn't use it on the stock, because my right hand is the one I want free to move when it needs to.
        Alle Kunst ist umsunst Wenn ein Engel auf das Zundloch brunzet (All skill is in vain if an angel pisses down the touch-hole of your musket.) Old German Folk Wisdom.

Comment

I've decided to definitely keep it the way it is. The good thing about the US parts is that It will make it easier to keep legal when I convert it to take standard AK mags.

That's right, I just tried to put a mag in it and confirmed that the rifle was never converted to doublestack. It looks like my dremel and me have a date...

Comment

Talon makes fitted wrap arounds in both regular skate tape and a rubberized version. I use the rubber type on handguns, especially those with somewhat slick polymer frames. So far I've been well pleased and at 20 bucks shipped, I think well worth the money. ISC, actually you're lucky it hasn't been opened up. Century angry beavers were famous for making the mag chute too large, allowing a real bad magazine rattle.
            "some people never let their given word interfere if something they want comes along"
            The real problem with the world are laws preventing culling.

Comment

Working...
            X