X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Man
    replied
    Re: Need Info and Ideas

Those sound like some good ideas, and yes the screw passes all the way thru the receiver with threads only on one end. I have a can of compressed air and a vice to try that also. I will have to wait till the weekend to try these.

Thanks for the ideas, it is very frustrating to have something as small as a screw bring a man to his knees.

Leave a comment:

• kARL
    replied

you might try this:
    Get a can of air at the computer section of Walmart or radio Shack.
    cover the area around the screw to prevent as you can the icyblast from hitting anything but the screw head.
    Shake the can and turn it UP SIDE down.
    The air turns to an icy blast.
    aim at the screw and freeze it.
    It may contract enough to work loose.
    karl

Leave a comment:

• Mac's!
    replied

Regarding heating the parts: Don't heat the screw. It expands and makes it even tighter. Heat one side of the area around the screw. In other words, heat the area to the front of the screw towards the muzzle but not the rear side. The idea is to make the surrounding metal expand at different rates. Something else that I have tried with success, is the temperature shock. Heat up the whole area including the screw. Then set an ice cube on it.

My final idea (besides the impact driver) is this: It may be a combination of things causing it to be so tight. The threads, the hole to screw fit on the area that it passes thru and the screw head itself. (Unless I'm mistaken) The carrier screw on the Marlin goes thru the receiver from one side to the other. It has a recessed hole that the screw head goes into. I once dealt with one that was seriously stuck. (Not a Marlin) Soaking, tapping, cussing, bleeding, etc. nothing worked. I was getting ready to try the impact driver but had a thought of something to try first. I clamped the receiver in the vise and gently tightened it down to fairly tight. The screw easily unscrewed. It seemed that the over years, the receiver had opening up a bit and effectively reverse clamped the screw in place. Hope something works for you, Mac.

Leave a comment:

• Old Man
    replied

I have tried all that with the exception of the impact driver. I used a small butane soldering tool and left it touching the tip side with threads for about 5 minutes, no luck.
    I have 2 sets of hollow ground screw driver bits for gun work and yes they fit the slot of the screw extremely nice. But it will not budge.

I don't know if the screws are put in by hand or a machine when guns are first assembled, if it was a machine, it was way out of torque spec, if it was by hand, I would not want the person doing it to hit me very hard.
    But I have a feeling it is a case of stainless to stainless galling and no attempt to remove it will be successful. Before I resort to drilling and retapping I will have to find a tap. It is very fine threads, from a Marlin screw chart I found it is listed as "157-40 NF2 with a note of "HT/Patch" whatever that means.
    Any ideas on the HT/Patch note?

Leave a comment:

• AKrazy
    replied

All great ideas from Mac's!

Another method for heating screws: in the past, I've used a soldering iron. It's easier to pin point your heat with that than a torch I've found.

Best,

Leave a comment:

• Mac's!
    replied

(Assuming you've already soaked it for a while) First, make sure that the screwdriver that you're using fits. Use parallel ground tips. Normal Sears/hardware store types are taper ground. Second, apply some heat. A moving propane torch is excellent, a hair dryer is ok. Third, insert the screwdriver into the screw head and tap on it a few times with a hammer. That's a TAP! Not a beat-it-thru-the-other-side whack!

If all of that fails, you'll have to move on to more extreme methods. There is a tool called a "hand impact driver". Usually, it has a 3/8 drive on the end for sockets, etc. Put a bit on that will accept screwdriver bits. Follow the directions on which way to twist the impact driver and whack it with a hammer. This IS a hard serious whack. The impact driver WILL turn. It may break off the screw head or shatter the screwdriver but but it will turn.

If that fails, move on to the drill press. First, drill a stress relieve hole. This is a hole drilled into the end of the screw that has the threads on it. You're not drilling out the threads, you're just drilling a small hole in the end of the screw. Then try the screwdriver methods again. The idea is that you've given the screw some room to shrink. It may only be 1/10'000 but it often helps.

If that fails, drill out and re-tap the whole thing.

Leave a comment:

• Old Man
    replied

I may try some of that 50-50 mix, nothing else seems to be working. I don't know why this screw would be almost impossible to remove, all the rest come out with no effort. I really don't need it out, but the screw slot was a little wallowed out looking when I bought the rifle and I got a new replacement from Marlin and have never been able to remove this one.
    The only thing I can come up with is stainless screw in stainless receiver without a little prelube equals molecular fusion.

I may have to have it drilled and retapped to be satisfied, but right now that is not an option.

I guess I could load up some T-REX size loads and see if it would jar it loose.

Leave a comment:

• AKrazy
    replied

If the Kroil does not cut it, try a 50/50 mix of Acetone and Power Steering Fluid. It penetrated better than Kroil or Marvel Mystery Oil. My dad turned me on to it a couple of years ago and it works great!

Good luck!

Leave a comment:

• Old Man
    replied

I have had it soaking since Thursday, and I tried to turn it Saturday with no luck. So back to soaking some more, will try again tonight or Mon. I sure hate to think about a large labor charge to get it drilled and tapped out.

If by some slim chance someone at Marlin put Loctite on the threads, do you think a heat gun would be hot enough to loosen it? I don't want to damage the finish.
    I am almost out of ideas.
    Last edited by Old Man; March 30, 2014, 16:04.

Leave a comment:

• CMV
    replied

How did the Kroil work out?

Leave a comment:

• Old Man
    replied

Thank you sir, I have it soaking now, will leave soaking for a couple days. I got a new screw from Marlin to replace this one. I just hope it doesn't break off.

Leave a comment:

• CMV
    replied

Good penetrating oil like Kroil then some back & forth on it? Sometimes tightening a suck fastener more helps it break so do equal amounts of torque alternating left and right after a good long soak.

Leave a comment:

• Old Man
    started a topic Need Info and Ideas

Need Info and Ideas

I am trying to remove the carrier screw from my marlin 1895 guide gun and it seems to be frozen. It is the stainless model. I have never been able to remove it since new, and I am thinking it was inserted without any moly or lube on the threads when built.

I have read of stainless fasteners becoming almost impossible to remove, sort of like molecular fusion. this screw goes in one side of the receiver and threads into the other side.

I hate to think about the cost involved if I have to take it to a gunsmith and have it drilled and rethreaded, but that may be my only option.
    Any ideas for removal?

Thanks for any suggestions.
    Old Man
Working...
X