Refinished SIG-Sauer P220 slide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refinished SIG-Sauer P220 slide

The last P220 I had was not in nearly as nice of condition that this one was in when I got it a few weeks ago. A trip to the basement and a few coats of Brownell's baking lacquer had it fixed up good as new.

Well, after researching the internet about the ceramic automotic formulations that have to be baked, I decided to give it a try on my newest SIG-Sauer. It was just showing some good honest wear on the hight spots and forward sharp corners, but still bothered me.

For whatever reason, SIG-Sauer's blueing and Walther's blueing seem to be quite a bit different in how they wear. Walther seems to be a much tougher blueing job. It's a deeper blue (even if matt), it's darker, and it wears better.

Anyway, this P220 was prepped with a few good scrubbings in lacquer thinner, and allowed to air dry. The slide was heated with a heat gun and two light coats followed by one wet coat was applied and allowed to dry for an hour. It was then popped into a 200°F oven to bake for an hour.

Brownell's has nothing on this stuff. It shoots and lays better and levels out perfectly. The Brownell's lacquer produces a slightly rough or splotchy surface that I don't care for. I've used it on a lot of firearms both for me and customers, but I don't think I'll be using it again.

This VHT ceramic automotive paint produces a finish not unlike a deep dark matt blueing job. If you'd like a bit of sheen as I do, hit it with a silicone cloth and be prepared to 'ooh' and 'aah'. You'd swear it was blueing.

Enjoy:

[I]Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation...Strategic Air Command[/I]

American by birth, made from German parts from Emmingen, Baden-Württemberg

An unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!

Das Leben ist zu kurz, um billiges Bier zu trinken!

Re: Refinished SIG-Sauer P220 slide

Looks good!

I got 2 pieces of steel ready to go for us to mess with. They're cut, blasted, & degreased. I wanted to get one done in cerakote so I could send them off to you tomorrow, but it's been raining here all day. I don't like to run my compressor (in the garage) when it's real wet out. I definetly don't spray when it's like this. I continually battle water in my air lines. 3 separate filters & it will still spit some every now & then.

Anyway, they're just small strips of CRS with a channel milled down the middle & a hole at the end to hang it for spraying & baking. Next time I coat something I'll do one of them & send both to you.
    They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.<br /><br />-- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Sounds great. I'm looking forward to testing these.

I don't have anything with Cerekote on it. I thought about doing my Walther P5, but I can't even get myself to do anything with it for fear of decreasing the value. Of course, if I'm never selling it, it shouldn't matter.
      [I]Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation...Strategic Air Command[/I]

Comment

Beautiful. You got me drooling! I guess I'm gonna have to sell a kidney or something to replace my last SIG, how difficult (AND expensive) it'll be finding a West German stamped I have no idea. I may have to settle for one made after the reunification. A SIG 220 in .45 is on of the very few pistols that if its all I had I wouldn't feel too bad about. Love those suckers!
        "some people never let their given word interfere if something they want comes along"
        The real problem with the world are laws preventing culling.

Comment

You can search GB like I did using P220 German as the search criteria.

Problem is, some people have no idea what they are selling and will not include that information in the title or listing so you may end up going through 6 pages of P220's anyway to find the right one for you.

As luck would have it, the one I bought had only been listed for a few hours. I was checking the listings twice a day and caught this one as a new listing.

For the ones that don't have any idea what they are selling, there are also the P220's listed as 'German' but they have no proof marks. The slide may say Made in Germany (not West Gemany) but that is only the frame.

I'm sure you know this, but unless there are the required proofs on the frame barrel and the slide and each are serial numbered to one another you don't really know where it was made or assembled.

Comment

Without all the proofs, I always assumed they were at least partially made here. I'm probably way off base but it has prevented my over paying in the past.
            "some people never let their given word interfere if something they want comes along"
            The real problem with the world are laws preventing culling.

Comment

If the slide is made here it will not be the stamped and rolled model, it will be stainless.

You can tell by the breech block being pinned in place on the carbon steel slides and the squared of end on the stainless model.

Comment

Working...
              X