Gun coating for stainless steel barrel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gun coating for stainless steel barrel

I am looking to purchase a new barrel for one of my AR's. It will be a stainless steel barrel in .300 blackout. I am not a fan of the bright stainless and I am looking at having it coated. So what would be the best form of coating for stainless steel barrel? I am partial to either flat black/dark grey (similar to Parkerizing) or Foliage Green. Ideas?

thanks
    "SI *VIS *PACEM, *PARA *BELLUM"
    [URL]http://survivalblog.com[/URL]
    MOLON LABE!
    AC0XV

Re: Gun coating for stainless steel barrel

I hear Cerecoat is good stuff or you might want to dip it if you'd like a camo job.
    [I]Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation...Strategic Air Command[/I]

American by birth, made from German parts from Emmingen, Baden-Württemberg

An unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!

Das Leben ist zu kurz, um billiges Bier zu trinken!

Comment

I closed our firearms refinishing business last year due to health problems but still have the experience stashed away. We used to refinish a lot of Stainless firearms and parts back then with our Tuff-Gun finish. It can be done and will last a long time with minimal care. A lot of police departments wanted Stainless for their tactical weapons but didn't want the shine that goes with it. They would buy Stainless rifles and send them out to have them finished in something dark and non reflective.

Since Stainless can't be Parkerized, we would just use Guncoat 2400 Series on them. It went on well and stuck fine but the prep is the key. The surface has to be absolutely 100% abrasive blasted with something fairly coarse. I'm not talking # 10 grit sand but something like glass beads is worse than worthless. #50 to #70 grit is fine.

The trick to making Guncoat 2400 Series hold it's durability comes in two parts: First is the prep work. Abrasive blasted and perfectly clean..not even fingerprints. Second is the curing. Just "flame on" to "really hot" for a "couple hours" won't cut it. We used a computer controlled system that would ramp the heat up to 325 degrees, hold it there for 1 1/2 hours and then ramp it back down to room temp. The ramping would take an hour either way, up and down. Hope this helps. Keep yer powder dry, Mac.

Comment

Good options are Brownell's Aluma-Hyde, Lauer Duracoat, and Cerakote, with Cerakote being the toughest and longest lasting.

Brownell's sell a number of coatings you can do yourself, or you can send it out to be professionally done to a high standard.

Aluma-Hyde is a one-part epoxy finish that's available in an air curing or oven curing type. It's available in a spray can.

Lauer Duracoat is one of the best and it's a two-part epoxy mix that has to be applied with an airbrush or sprayer. It's an air curing type that is usable in a few days, and reaches full hardness in 3 weeks.
        It's available in a great many colors, including a good number of blacks and dark grays.

Cerakote is also an epoxy mix with a ceramic base. It's now being used by most builders and companies who apply a coating. It's the hardest and most durable.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the replies. Next question would be for recommendations to do the work, unfortunately, I do not have the space/area to do this kind of work at home. Especially anything that is going to require an oven.
          "SI *VIS *PACEM, *PARA *BELLUM"
          [URL]http://survivalblog.com[/URL]
          MOLON LABE!
          AC0XV

Comment

Cerakote.

I'll do it for you for cost of materials & shipping.

SOme examples of recent/current projects:

& shut up - you bitchezz like the pink one!
            They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.<br /><br />-- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I was going to say head over to harbor freight and get a cheap sandblaster.
              Life, Liberty and the pursuit of those who threaten them.

Comment

You'll need it for the Cerekote anyway.
                [I]Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation...Strategic Air Command[/I]

American by birth, made from German parts from Emmingen, Baden-Württemberg

An unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!

Das Leben ist zu kurz, um billiges Bier zu trinken!

Comment

I recommend these folks based on personal experience and knowledge of them:

http://www.galtsguns.com/

The guy is a perfectionist, and his work shows it.

RR
                  Tricks and treachery are the practice of fools, that don't have brains enough to be honest. - Benjamin Franklin

I have but one person on my ignore list. Can you guess who it is?

Comment

Working...
                  X