Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brownells just about hacked me off with this one.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brownells just about hacked me off with this one.....

I bought some extra Metalform mags for the new 10mm 1911. And I also needed some bumper pads for them. The pistol has the extended mag well, which is not a bad thing, but it could be noted.....

You have to have a bumper pad or some such on the mag bases to get them to seat without having to fumble around sticking a finger up that mag well. I figured that was no problem, since I like the idea of the padded bases on my mags anyway, so I bought some.

This is their ad for them:

http://www.brownells.com/magazines/h...prod24857.aspx

Does anyone see anything in there about it requiring that you tap the holes in the mag bases first?

Those screws won't go in, and neither will self-tapping ones. The bases appear to be hardened, and won't take a screw to save their lives. I could either stuff the mag into a vise and make a serious run at it with a heavy duty drill-driver and hope I don't break the screws, or I can get a tap.

I'm going with the tap, but it kind'a annoys me that they lie that badly about them.

Bummer that, but I'll get a tap and solve the problem. I can probably borrow one from work, or take the bases in and tap them there. But it ain't supposed to be that difficult. " No modifications to the magazine required." Yeah. And they lie as bad as Obama does about healthcare insurance.

'Nough said.
    Alle Kunst ist umsunst Wenn ein Engel auf das Zundloch brunzet (All skill is in vain if an angel pisses down the touch-hole of your musket.) Old German Folk Wisdom.

Re: Brownells just about hacked me off with this one.....

The item does have some poor reviews...

It's all fun and eyes until someone looses a game!

You can't spell MEAN without ME!

Comment

I've got to note that the fact that they needed some light trimming for flash was one thing and another. That's no big deal if you have an Exacto knife.

The whole screw thing, though? That is the kind of thing that will really mess with a lot of folks, because unless you have the capabilities to either tap the holes in the mag base or drill them out and go with an oversized screw?

I'll bet that 2/3 of the people that buy them end up paying someone to put them on. That's a pretty crappy way to do business.

Just to note, I got some bases packaged with the old "regular" screws, and some with self-tapping machine screws included. The self-tapping ones don't work either, but they apparently are becoming aware that the regular ones are pretty much a total waste of time.

OTOH, they are Phillips heads, which is the only thing that probably saved me from breaking one off right up front. I've ruined enough Phillips screw heads to know not to just keep pushing and torquing on them for too long.

But so it goes. I've got a tap for them.

Alle Kunst ist umsunst Wenn ein Engel auf das Zundloch brunzet (All skill is in vain if an angel pisses down the touch-hole of your musket.) Old German Folk Wisdom.

Comment

I was wondering how that turned out. Remember...I have some epoxy here. Works much better than the old bondo method!
        arkyboy
        I\'d rather dial 1911!

Comment

Originally posted by arkyboy View Post
          I was wondering how that turned out. Remember...I have some epoxy here. Works much better than the old bondo method!
          arkyboy
          I've got a concern that epoxy (or bondo) would make the mag bases hard to remove, so I'm going with duct tape on these. It sticks just a bit in the mag well, but you can't have everything if you want to be tacticool, right?

And bumper pads on your mag bases is definitely tacticool. That's really the only reason I wanted them. The thing about seating the mags without having to coon finger around down there every time? That was just an excuse.

Comment

Drilled and tapped using machine screws the work OK. NO WAY you're gonna get that sheet metal screw to go it, mag bases waaaay too hard.
            "some people never let their given word interfere if something they want comes along"
            The real problem with the world are laws preventing culling.

Comment

Working...
            X