Expedient Barrels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Expedient Barrels

I saw a U-tube video where someone made his own .22LR pistol from a toy gun. The really neat part was the barrel. It was made from a hollow steel bicycle axle.

Specs•14mm Female Chromoly Axle for Opus Rear Hub

•Sealed Bearing Only

•Inner Shoulder Length: 53mm

•Axle Length: 4 5/8"

•Bearing Race Diameter: 15mm

•24 TPI
    Chromoly Female Rear Axle for EZRA Opus Hub
    $11.99

http://www.veinbmx.com/bmx-store-par...-EZRA-Opus-Hub

It has already been bored and lathe profiled. It comes already threaded on both ends and is made of high quality steel alloy. In the aforementioned video, the guy who built his pistol says he paid $7 for his. They are widely available.

Motorbike axles are even better they are longer, thicker, and come as either a simple hollow steel rod threaded on both ends or with a machined heavy nut on one end and threaded on the other. I picked up a motorcycle axle of the latter kind. It is appproximately 11.5 inches long and I'm pretty sure it is already bored to .45 caliber; unintentionally, of course. The heavy nut end could be worked to produce a chamber and feed ramp. This end would also serve very nicely as a trunnion.

Re: Expedient Barrels

Aside from the legal ramifications, what kind of accuracy do you expect from a smoothbore?

Comment

Originally posted by ISC View Post
      Aside from the legal ramifications, what kind of accuracy do you expect from a smoothbore?
      That was my first thought. My second thought was that the first rule of a gunfight is to bring a gun. If it's all you can get, it beats the daylights out of a pointy stick.

You just never know for sure how bad it might actually get, so it's good information to have.

Worst case, I can make my own black powder to load it with.
      Alle Kunst ist umsunst Wenn ein Engel auf das Zundloch brunzet (All skill is in vain if an angel pisses down the touch-hole of your musket.) Old German Folk Wisdom.

Comment

At close range, accuracy is not a problem.

There is nothing to stop your making your own rifling machine. Hand operated rifling machines were built with handtools and used by early American gunsmiths. It can be built as simple or as sophisticated as you want to make it. If you want to have a rifled barrel, you can have one.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/3602969/fi...ifling-Machine

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/...?topic=12701.0

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ifling-Machine

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...achine-201777/

Comment

As long as your "Expedient Barrel" isn't hardened, that'd work.

I have to expect that most bicycle or motorcycle axles are going to be hardened, though, which is going to make cutting grooves in them interesting, to say the least.

If you had a heat-treating furnace you could unharden it, rifle it, and then re-harden it, I guess.
          Alle Kunst ist umsunst Wenn ein Engel auf das Zundloch brunzet (All skill is in vain if an angel pisses down the touch-hole of your musket.) Old German Folk Wisdom.

Comment

Rifling, as a rule, is for the weapons that are worth keeping. Expedient short barrelled weapons are either all that is left to you or they are throwaways. I would be inclined to think that the Liberator Pistol and most Sten SMGs were smoothbore.

Comment

A person could use barrel liners, to place in a support barrel, so to speak.

Like this:

Yes, I know, the object is expediency, but I would try to get as much accuracy as possible, if it were worth doing.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-to...prod10974.aspx
              [CENTER][SIZE=1]“Corruptissima republica plurimae leges,”[/SIZE][/CENTER]
              [CENTER][SIZE=1]“The more corrupt the republic, the more numerous the laws.”[/SIZE][/CENTER]

[CENTER][SIZE=1]Publius Cornelius Tacitus[/SIZE][/CENTER]
              [CENTER][SIZE=1][/SIZE] [/CENTER]
              [CENTER][SIZE=1]Sic Semper Tyrannis[/SIZE][/CENTER]

Comment

Since conventional machining takes the expediency out of expedient and if you could order gun parts like barrel liners from a manufacturer, why would you concern yourself in the first place with your own manufacture of an expedient gun barrel?

For the rest of us, the points brought up so far all point to elevated technical capabilities to make a rifled barrel. Most folks don't possess lathes, rifling machines, or broaching tools. So here is a new crazy idea. Take the aforementioned ersatz barrel and coat both the outside and inside diameters with a thinned out roofing tar. Then scribe the inside diameter with lines that are dimensioned to duplicate the rifling that would make the barrel the equivalent of a proper rifled barrel. Immerse in battery acid for some period of time. Be careful!! Remove from acid and inspect. Repeat as neccessary to achieve proper depth of acid etching. It's better than nothing.

I have read that South American countries that produce both licensed and unlicensed knockoffs of various American and European small arms rely upon an etching process instead of rifling. They claim good results.
                Last edited by Lasergunner; April 14, 2013, 09:49.

Comment

Originally posted by Lasergunner View Post
                  Rifling, as a rule, is for the weapons that are worth keeping. Expedient short barrelled weapons are either all that is left to you or they are throwaways. I would be inclined to think that the Liberator Pistol and most Sten SMGs were smoothbore.
                  Every Sten kit I saw had rifling's.
                  But I do believe the Liberator was a smoothbore. Again, it wasn't intended for accuracy, or range.. Just for sticking to someone body, and pulling the trigger. IIRC, a one shot affair.??

If the shaft (barrel) in the first picture wasn't being used with super high powered ammo, I would think it'd work quite well for such an apparatus.
                  [CENTER][SIZE=1]“Corruptissima republica plurimae leges,”[/SIZE][/CENTER]
                  [CENTER][SIZE=1]“The more corrupt the republic, the more numerous the laws.”[/SIZE][/CENTER]

[CENTER][SIZE=1]Publius Cornelius Tacitus[/SIZE][/CENTER]
                  [CENTER][SIZE=1][/SIZE] [/CENTER]
                  [CENTER][SIZE=1]Sic Semper Tyrannis[/SIZE][/CENTER]

Comment

Working...
                  X