Gun Vise?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gun Vise?

So I finally have a garage to work out of instead of messing up an apartment carpet! I built a workbench and now I'm seeking a gun vise. I was looking at the Tipton Best Gun Vise and the CTK P3 Ultimate Gun Vise. Anyone have any other suggestions? My pops told me about one at Lowes for $30 that suction cups to the table but I haven't seen it yet. Any input is appreciated.
    Thanks!
    It's all fun and eyes until someone looses a game!

You can't spell MEAN without ME!

Do you want a vise for true gunsmithing or just for cleaning and occasional adjustments and repairs? I've looked at the Tipton Best also, but it's expensive for my occasional use.

I've been using an MTM tray/cradle thing for the last 5 years. It was cheap and it's held up. I've probably detail stripped and reassembled rifles on it. Solvent hasn't eaten it, and the protective rubber on the yokes has held up very well. For around $30 it's served me well. The Tipton Best looks great for ARs, but MSRP is around $80 but I think they run around $60-$70 on sale. If you want it, get it!!! The CTK looks solid, but it's expensive; however, you'll probably never wear it out.

Comment

I'm really just looking for a good cleaning vise. I'm definitely no gun smith but I do like to make some mods so I am looking for something secure. I'll probably go w/ the Tipton Best. I'll be able to clamp it to the bench to stop the sliding.
      Thanks CK
      It's all fun and eyes until someone looses a game!

You can't spell MEAN without ME!

Comment

Re: Gun Vise?

I have a MTM Gun Cleaning Center which I like for cleaning. Although I will get a Tipton Best this Xmas as it seems better for cleaning the AR I'm building.

I use a Wilton 6" Vice from Home Depot for AK Parts Kits Demilling & for things that I'm not worried about messing up the part or metal.

For Removing Dovetail Sights, & other Gunsmithing things where the jaws can damage the part or metal I put the Rubber Wilton Magnetic Inserts on the vice jaws.

J

Comment

Re: Gun Vise?

A vice is a vice, as long as you have the right vice jaw adapters you are good to go. With that in mind, I always found that bigger vices are usually going to be more stable than smaller ones. They also usually give you more options with vice jaw adapters. They are pretty much all made in China these days anyway, so you are not hurting yourself by going to Harbor Freight instead of Sears.
          Life, Liberty and the pursuit of those who threaten them.

Comment

Working...
          X