the rest of the story (Krag)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the rest of the story (Krag)

wood finished with "French Red" stain, counterstained with Tung/walnut mixed, and 3 coats of Tung rubbed in. Waiting on replacement front sight blade. Will have reblued. The end product hopefully will be as close to issued condition as possible. Also waiting on a repro Mills cartridge belt.

angled pic of same-hopefully some grain is visible in the buttstock. I love shooting this rifle. 26.5 gr IMR 4198 under a 180gr
    Win PP gives right at 1975FPS and nice tight groups.

incoming rounds have the right of way.

Lee, that is far more than I could do--AWESOME. Would you detail the part when you were fitting the stock? The paint part? Why? Etc.....

------------------
    ..MrM
    Kentucky Proud! Been there, done that! The sheeple WILL flock to the protectors' fold in time of need. I am a protector.

I own "Homeland Defense Rifles." Ya got that?

Eighty-Six MILLION legally armed Americans caused NO harm yesterday.
    Youth And Brawn Are No Match For Age And Treachery.
    I'm Old And May Not Fight. I'll Shoot Instead.

USMC 1959/1963

Comment

The paint is a slightly oily but dry (I know it doesn't make sense) black that you paint onto the bottom and sides of the action, barrel, trigger group, sling swivels, etc. Any metal that will contact or fit into the wood. You align the action with it's corresponding area of the stock and press/bump down til it's tight. The idea is to mark the "white" wood with the black- it will correspond to the areas where the metal will touch the wood. These are the areas that need to be shaved and trimmed out. When you get all the black marks removed you recoat the metal or blend the coat with your finger and do it again. And again. repeat often. You'll get to where you can tell which parts are actually needed to be cut out and which are "false" due to wiggling or taking the action out of the stock. When it fits the new wood like the old stock did (bolt will turn down, magazine gate will open smoothly, bbl in channel, sling swivels in, and trigger/striker falling you're there. All you need to do then is start sanding. Remove the paint with solvent (I have varsol). The French Red is about as close to the original stain used on US military rifles that I've ever seen. Brownell's use to carry it. It has wood fibers in it so when you stir it up and apply across the grain it actually fills up the pores quicker than multiple coats of linseed or Heaven forbid, Tru-oil. Wipe off excess and try the counterstain. It brings out the grain contrast.
      Sorry if I rambled. Hope it made sense. Lee
      incoming rounds have the right of way.

Comment

Working...
      X