Old .22 Metal Refinishing(Aluminum?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old .22 Metal Refinishing(Aluminum?)

OK all, I have two marlin Model 60s. On is in like new condition and I'm not gonna touch it. THis other one though is old and beat up. Stock had original nasty shellac coating or whatever it was with green model paint over parts of it(don't ask ). Anyways, I sanded/stripped this as well as I could and treated it to a coupla coats of BC Walnut stain, and it will get Truoil with first coat start tonight. Already looks way nicer than it did. So now I'm looking at the metal. Triggerguar part is fine, still has nice black finish, but the receiver, barrel and mag tube look pretty worn. Problem is, I'm pretty sure that at least the receiver on this is aluminum(though I haven't tested it yet). So what are your suggestions on redoing this? I have black ceramic enamel paint and Outers cold blue right now, and will be getting Brownell's Teflon and Oxoblues in next month hopefully. So what should I do to treat this meatl,a nd are there any special tricks I'll have to do to the receiver? Any help on this will be greatly appreciated.

------------------
    TANSTAAFL

"Progress is made by lazy men looking for easier ways to do things" --L. Long

Brownell's sell a bake-on "paint" specifically for aluminum that works really well. Short of having the part re-anodized this is about all that can be done.

I've used about every type of home blue/cold blue product that's been available in the past 40 years, and none of them really do a decent durable job. They are intended for touch-up of scratchs and small worn spots, not large areas. They almost always give a smokey, streaky, grey-blue color that wears quickly.

For a durable, attractive finish, I would recommend one of Brownell's spray-on gun finishes. Beside the aluminum coat, they sell a varity of other colors, and level of glosses from flat to glossy.

Although not up the the appearance of a good hot blue job, they are quite surviceable for an inexpensive firearm.

[This message has been edited by dave (edited 13 October 2002).]

Comment

Gunkote or norrels moly resin will work as well as brownells alumihyde.

Comment

FWIW, on O1 Tool Steel and Cold Rolled welding rod, cold blue will give an almost black color. Too bad doesn't work that well on gun steels.

------------------
        TANSTAAFL

Comment

Forgot to say. Thanks for the input. Guess the metal will stay ugly until I can send in a Brownell's order.

------------------
          TANSTAAFL

Comment

Working...
          X