revolver shaving lead...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• revolver shaving lead...

Noticed today that my S&W M28 is shaving lead- apparently only on one cylinder. I don't know a whole lot about this.
    Is this hard to remedy? Is it something that happens to old guns, or could it have been there and unnoticed the whole time? (I was shooting inside at a range, I usually shoot outdoors in bright sunlight)
    This is my favorite revolver, and I can't bear the thought of having her getting old.
    How is this fixed?
    I plan to let a gunsmith do it, but I'd just like to know more about this before I turn it over.
    TIA...

How loose is the cylinder? Empty and put on full cock, then wiggle the cylinder on each chamber. If it wiggles a lot, it is getting worn and in most cases can be fixed.
    If it doesn't wiggle much, you may have one chamber mis aligned--problem.

Load and fire one chamber at a time to ascertain which one shaves.

Hey, a tiny bit of shave is not too much to get in a tangle about, yet. Let us know.....

------------------
    ..MrM
    Kentucky Proud! Been there, done that! The sheeple WILL flock to the protectors' fold in time of need. I am a protector.

Eighty-Six MILLION legally armed Americans caused NO harm yesterday.
    Youth And Brawn Are No Match For Age And Treachery.
    I'm Old And May Not Fight. I'll Shoot Instead.

USMC 1959/1963

Comment

Sounds like a timing problem. It can be fixed easily, trick is finding a gunsmith that knows how to do it properly. Most nowadays only know how to work on auto's unfortunately. You need someone who has worked on revolvers and knows them.

The best outfit I have found for this is the 'Cylinder and Slide' shop. They usually have an ad in the better hand gunner mags.

Bowman's in east Tn can also do this work. He is one of the BEST in the world when it comes to revolvers also.

[This message has been edited by Hawk45 (edited 08 September 2002).]

Comment

I concur with Hawk on the timing problem and the fact that revolver smiths are few and far between. I will only work on my own because I am not confident working on customers yet. Teddy Jacobson is the best revolver man that I know of.
        http://www.actionsbyt.com/

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LoneGunman:
          I concur with Hawk on the timing problem and the fact that revolver smiths are few and far between. I will only work on my own because I am not confident working on customers yet. Teddy Jacobson is the best revolver man that I know of.
          http://www.actionsbyt.com/
          <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I second the timing problem and the recomendation of Teddy Jacobson.
          Iv got a s&w 686 he worked over and its great.
          He also only charges about 2/3 of what other smiths do.
          I dont think I would consider him the top revolver smith but he is in the top 30.

------------------
          VERITAS VINCIT
          VERITAS VINCIT
          A CRUCE SALUS

Comment

Thanks for the tips VERY much. I've had one friend recommend sending it to S&W... would this be a better idea, or should I just contact one of the above? I really want to get it back as quick as I can. Anybody dealt with S&W's customer service dept.?
            BH

Comment

BTW- each cylinder seems to have the same amount of play in it, no noticeable difference between them. I did notice every once in a while when I hold the trigger and check it the cylinder locks tight, no play at all. It happens on all chambers as I marked each with a small piece of paper before moving on to the next. Any other ideas? why would they lock with no play every once in a while, and have a touch of play other times?
              Thanks again- I at least have some piece of mind... but I won't fire it again until it's repaired- unless I absolutely have to.

Comment

Im not sure of their turn around time but Id be willing to bet 6-8 weeks. I know a two people who sent guns back to S&W and still ended up sending it to someone else after S&W said there was nothing wrong with the gun.
                <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by blue heeler:
                Thanks for the tips VERY much. I've had one friend recommend sending it to S&W... would this be a better idea, or should I just contact one of the above? I really want to get it back as quick as I can. Anybody dealt with S&W's customer service dept.?
                BH
                <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Comment

Timing problems are hard to see unless you are familiar with them.

It is a matter of the firing pin being hit while the cylinder is still rotating. If you have the cylinder stopped it is not found.

Someone who has been thru the S&W armourer school should be able to fix it. It is a matter of fitting and new 'hand' (the new part that needs to be replaced)to the gun and cylinder.

I have done it but it has been over 20 years since the last one I did. Also was working with S&W's parts so if I screwed up it didn't cost anything.

It will help S&W if you mark the one cylinder that is shaving the worse. Either way though, someone needs to fit a new hand to the gun.

Comment

s&w customer sevice is spotty.
                    Sometimes good sometimes bad.
                    Id call Teddy Jacobson and ask him what his turn around time would be on it.
                    While he has it have him do a full trigger tune you wont regret it.

------------------
                    VERITAS VINCIT
                    VERITAS VINCIT
                    A CRUCE SALUS

Comment

I sent a semi back to S&W, had it back in two weeks, fixed perfectly. It just needed a new extractor, so it was a simple fix.

Maybe just good luck, who knows.

Comment

Working...
                      X