Gunsmithing Tools >>>

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gunsmithing Tools >>>

Where do you purchase the Tools you use for Gunsmithing? Do you go through Brownells? or Do you pick them up at the Local Wally World?

I think we all know the need to use a proper fitting tool when working on Firearms. If you are like me I feel some of the tools that are offered are quite expensive.

I have even resorted to making my own from existing tools to help me do a Gunsmithing project.

What are you thoughts? If you have a On-line source for tools, please post a link!

Thanks and Good SMITH'N

Death Merchant

------------------
    "Respect, Honor, Discipline" Values for Life!
    \"Respect, Honor, Discipline\" ....My Values for Life!

Anything that can be purchased other than from brownells will most likely be less expensive than brownells. Machinist supply companies are great for all your metal working tools. I get my punches from Sears and bring them back when they get mangled.
    <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DEATHMERCHANT308:
    Where do you purchase the Tools you use for Gunsmithing? Do you go through Brownells? or Do you pick them up at the Local Wally World?

I think we all know the need to use a proper fitting tool when working on Firearms. If you are like me I feel some of the tools that are offered are quite expensive.

I have even resorted to making my own from existing tools to help me do a Gunsmithing project.

What are you thoughts? If you have a On-line source for tools, please post a link!

Thanks and Good SMITH'N

Death Merchant

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Comment

Sears is my first stop too. If they don't have it then it's Brownell's.

------------------
      "It was people who upheld their duties to their office, the constitution, and the public by opposing Hitler who were called traitors"
      -------------------------------------
      "...a historian asked what had happened to the German people for them to accept a criminal government. Unfortunately, nothing needed to happen. In nations across the world people accept government crime."
      -------------------------------------
      "In democracies as well as dictatorships, subordinates illegally obey their rulers. Subordinates who remain true to their oaths of office by opposing their rulers are rare."
      [I]Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation...Strategic Air Command[/I]

American by birth, made from German parts from Emmingen, Baden-Württemberg

An unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!

Das Leben ist zu kurz, um billiges Bier zu trinken!

Comment

Proper tools?!?!

You mean you use more than a leatherman and a pair of vice grips to build an AR?

Realistically, I do buy tools from Brownells, but only as a last resort since I know I am getting hosed on tool prices whenever I buy something from them.

I think a big part of it is that gunsmith tools can be very very specialized. In many cases, they have to be custom made.
        Life, Liberty and the pursuit of those who threaten them.

Comment

Midway is very competetive with Brownells these days. They are showing the same type of discount structure in their Gunsmithing catalog. They also have some tools and jigs and stuff that Brownells doesn't have.

Comment

Could you give me some more information on Midway? Haven't heard of them over here.

Everything costs heaps more, plus postage!

Always looking for a better deal!

Thanks.

Comment

I have purchased mine from a variety of sources. Most of my hand tools are Snap On from the time I was making a living with them. A few specialty tools from Brownells, a Forrester screwdriver set from a local gunshop. Headspace gauges I get from a local manufactuer. Most of the FAL tools I use I made myself.
              "Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
              Captain John Parker at Lexington Green

Comment

Oink,
                I see William M hasn't gotten back yet, so here's Midway's web address; www.midwayusa.com
                You'll love it!

Comment

Working...
                X