A little trick for dinged wood......HehHeh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A little trick for dinged wood......HehHeh

Dinged wood on any weapon can be an irritant, no matter how small the ding.
    One way to remove small dings is to steam with an iron, and it works good.

Want to remove small dings AND clean the wood at the same time?
    Put the part in your dishwaher sans the dry cycle. Works great!
    Caveat: Better check with your better half first..LOL.

------------------
    ..MrM
    Kentucky Proud! Been there, done that! The sheeple WILL flock to the protectors' fold in time of need. I am a protector.

Eighty-Six MILLION legally armed Americans caused NO harm yesterday.
    Youth And Brawn Are No Match For Age And Treachery.
    I'm Old And May Not Fight. I'll Shoot Instead.

USMC 1959/1963

It is frowned upon at my house to use the oven to bake gun parts. I don't think I could even get close to the dishwasher with anything that remotely resembled part of a firearm. "WHAT ARE YOU PUTTING IN MY DISHWASHER??" (Said while holding large frying pan in threatening manner)

Great idea about the iron though. I have one of those small irons you use to appply wing skins to R/C aircraft. I might have to try that if the occasion arises.

------------------
    "It was people who upheld their duties to their office, the constitution, and the public by opposing Hitler who were called traitors"
    -------------------------------------
    "...a historian asked what had happened to the German people for them to accept a criminal government. Unfortunately, nothing needed to happen. In nations across the world people accept government crime."
    "In democracies as well as dictatorships, subordinates illegally obey their rulers. Subordinates who remain true to their oaths of office by opposing their rulers are rare."
    [I]Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation...Strategic Air Command[/I]

American by birth, made from German parts from Emmingen, Baden-Württemberg

An unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!

Das Leben ist zu kurz, um billiges Bier zu trinken!

Comment

I guess there are still some advantages to being single.

my only concern would be water damage on the wood. I have a stock that could use this treatment, but not sure I want it exposed to that much water. it's 50 years old already.

------------------
      TANSTAAFL

"Progress is made by lazy men looking for easier ways to do things" --L. Long

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by etp777:
        my only concern would be water damage on the wood. I have a stock that could use this treatment, but not sure I want it exposed to that much water. it's 50 years old already.

[/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
        Yes, this was also a concern for me.
        This is why we need, discussions.

etp, I would think the washer cycle would be not near as prolonged as being caught in an all day rain--what say you?
        The wood should be dried as slow as possible, EH?
        See, I need to know too.

While I'm here, please understand that things I share, and plan on sharing are not all my ideas. I'm just not that smart ( ). I obtain ideas elsewhere and bring them here to share. (That's partly why I was positioned as a mod here, I can get info ).

Let's hear about the ideas on the washer and bed liner---Pro and con---so our brothers (and we, or mostly me) don't step in "it".
        Thanks......

------------------
        ..MrM
        Kentucky Proud! Been there, done that! The sheeple WILL flock to the protectors' fold in time of need. I am a protector.

[This message has been edited by TheMrMitch (edited 26 June 2002).]

USMC 1959/1963

Comment

I'd stick to the hot iron. If you get the stock really wet overall, that much moisture will make for problems later. Wood is
          "designed" to absorb water, so running it in a dishwasher will get it soaked. You would then need to allow it to dry back out, which depending on how wet, and what your weather conditions are, could take a LOOOOONG time.
          Remember, when wood is cut for stocks, it has to be put in a wood kiln to dry it out.

The hot iron only takes a little more time and effort, and won't do any damage.

Comment

For small "dents and dings" you may want to try a Soldering Iron! Simply take a small water soaked piece of cloth and place it on the ding, then apply the tip of the soldering Iron.

It will allow you to focus your efforts to the small area with out doing unwanted damage to other areas of the staock that may not de damaged.

Death Merchant
            \"Respect, Honor, Discipline\" ....My Values for Life!

Comment

I think the odds of the stock warping would be pretty high when drying out from the dishwasher treatment.

It cant really be compared to rain because of the added pressure involved imho.

------------------
              VERITAS VINCIT
              VERITAS VINCIT
              A CRUCE SALUS

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by strmrdr:
                I think the odds of the stock warping would be pretty high when drying out from the dishwasher treatment.

It cant really be compared to rain because of the added pressure involved imho.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
                Good response. It's been awhile since I've used a dishwasher, and the one I used really had no discernable pressure in addition to a "short cycle" button.

Perhaps a 'Caveat' should be issued if one intends to use the dishwasher for this reason? (Other than the skillet upside the head).

Anyone else?

------------------
                ..MrM

USMC 1959/1963

Comment

I am single but I share a large house with my sister that we purchased. Both of us are divorced and do not ever plan on getting re-married. I've had it with trying to figure out women. I date 'em, but I will never marry another one.

My area is the basement and garage, her's is THE kitchen. It is blastphamy to use kitchen appliances for anything other than what they were designed for. That kitchen of her's is almost like a shrine for food.

Thou shalt not walk in thy kitchen with mud on your shoes. Thou shalt not touch thy stainless pots and pans unless you have asked permission and explained thy task.

On and on. I don't care though. I do all my cooking outside on the grill.

------------------
                  "It was people who upheld their duties to their office, the constitution, and the public by opposing Hitler who were called traitors"
                  "...a historian asked what had happened to the German people for them to accept a criminal government. Unfortunately, nothing needed to happen. In nations across the world people accept government crime."
                  "In democracies as well as dictatorships, subordinates illegally obey their rulers. Subordinates who remain true to their oaths of office by opposing their rulers are rare."
                  [I]Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation...Strategic Air Command[/I]

American by birth, made from German parts from Emmingen, Baden-Württemberg

An unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!

Das Leben ist zu kurz, um billiges Bier zu trinken!

Comment

When I have a really funky stock to refinish I do the following... **Strip the weapon down to the plain wood. Soak the wood for 24 hours in MEK. Note: the container the wood is soaking in must be covered or the MEK will EVAPROATE, fast! A common outdoor trash bag is resistant to MEK. The MEK draws out the decades of gunk in the wood. Let it air dry for a day. Now soak it in water for a day. Lay the wood out on newspaper in the hot sun (Florida sun works best for me). Any remaining gunk in the wood is driven out by this step. Refinish in your favorite manner. **This method is NOT to be used on laminated wood!! I used this process on a sporterized JAP 7.7 stock. Where the original 2 pieces of the buttstock had been joined the wood came apart. Then soaking it in water made the wood swell. A lot. AAArrrgghhh! I freaked. However when the wood dried it returned to normal dimension. A little light sanding and the dovetailed pieces of the stock went back together. Whew. Aside benefit of this is that most dings go away.

The Ammo Guy 8-)

Paul the Ammo Guy 8-)

"Aim small, miss small".

Comment

No way would I put a nice stock in the dishwasher! OR soak it in water!!!!!

Might be OK for a junker military , straight grain stock, BUT any stock with fancy wood....gar-on-tee it's gonna warp!

My method:
                      1. scrub it with a rough towel and plain old unleaded gas...outside...and don't smoke!
                      2. lightly sand with 220 grit
                      3. steel wool it
                      4. coat opf Birchwood Casey True Oil
                      5. let dry for a couple of days
                      6. steel wool it again, the spray coat or two with urethane.
                      Ahab

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TheMrMitch:

Good response. It's been awhile since I've used a dishwasher, and the one I used really had no discernable pressure in addition to a "short cycle" button.

Perhaps a 'Caveat' should be issued if one intends to use the dishwasher for this reason? (Other than the skillet upside the head).

Anyone else?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

All modern dishwashers have a pressure pump.
                        They fill the bottom of the washer with water then use the high pressure pump to force the water up.
                        The higher the pressure the better quality the diswasher but some of the real high end resteraunt ones will slowly erode none steel items so the home use ones have less pressure.
                        Tap pressure would not be enough to clean properly.
                        http://www.acmehowto.com/howto/appli...r/overview.htm

------------------
                        VERITAS VINCIT

[This message has been edited by strmrdr (edited 28 August 2002).]
                        VERITAS VINCIT
                        A CRUCE SALUS

Comment

Working...
                        X