New Moderator and new ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Moderator and new ideas?

Gentlemen, and Ladies. I have been tapped to assist Assault Web as moderator in this forum.

Hoo boy! Am I green. Newbie. New kid. Dumber'n dirt sometimes, but enthusiastic.

We can all benefit here by sharing our little tricks and that is what I now ask.

Sere Trained has posed a question about bed liner spray as a unique rifle finish. Are there brands better or worse
    than what one may now be using?
    I used "Dupli-Color" from Wally world at $7 a can. Smooth like finish and one can will cover three or so rifles. Great product.

Anybody else want to add and maybe give instructions on what you used, how you used it and any hints to help?

We'll hash this out and then someone bring up another product, technique or whatever
    trips your trigger in addition to regular posts.
    Meanwhile, just keep on posting as has been the habit and I too can learn. Hey, thanks to all! MrM

------------------
    ..MrM
    Kentucky Proud! Been there, done that! The sheeple WILL flock to the protectors' fold in time of need. I am a protector.

Eighty-Six MILLION legally armed Americans caused NO harm yesterday.
    Youth And Brawn Are No Match For Age And Treachery.
    I'm Old And May Not Fight. I'll Shoot Instead.

USMC 1959/1963

Congrats on the new office.

I swear by Brownell's Moly-Cote baking lacquer. This is good stuff and it's easy to use.

I've done my Walther P1, Sig P225, P220, Makorov, HK G3 and they've all turned out very good. It wears great too. The only thing you have to be careful of is polishing the netal too good.

It doesn't adhere too well to really slick surfaces. Parkerizing is the best surface for the Brownell's, followed by scuffed up old paint. Bead blasted works great too, but I don't have a bead blaster.

I don't know about truck bed liner. I don't think I could imagine finishing a firearm with it. But if you like it and works for you, go for it!

------------------
    "It was people who upheld their duties to their office, the constitution, and the public by opposing Hitler who were called traitors"
    -------------------------------------
    "...a historian asked what had happened to the German people for them to accept a criminal government. Unfortunately, nothing needed to happen. In nations across the world people accept government crime."
    "In democracies as well as dictatorships, subordinates illegally obey their rulers. Subordinates who remain true to their oaths of office by opposing their rulers are rare."
    [I]Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation...Strategic Air Command[/I]

American by birth, made from German parts from Emmingen, Baden-Württemberg

An unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!

Das Leben ist zu kurz, um billiges Bier zu trinken!

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Herr Walther:

I don't know about truck bed liner. I don't think I could imagine finishing a firearm with it. [/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL...I should mention bed liner on the wood ONLY. It gives a realistic synthetic look that is also durable. Actually beautiful and mostly for crappy wood as in SAR 1.

Thanks for the input..I looked at the pics you've shown and you do an excellent job! I only seem to be good with spray until the nozzle clogs.

Anyone else? Join in---

------------------
      ..MrM
      Kentucky Proud! Been there, done that! The sheeple WILL flock to the protectors' fold in time of need. I am a protector.

[This message has been edited by TheMrMitch (edited 26 June 2002).]

USMC 1959/1963

Comment

I thought your name on the top of the forum was new, but I wasn't sure.

Personally, I've only dealt with the gun stock oil products from Outers so far(least think, that's one I used, it leaked all over inside of ammo crate I had it in, so I threw it away.

Have two more stocks here that will get Outers TruOil GUnstocck oil finish, but only once I manage to strip original finishes off of them. even with chemical stripper, these things are sure being stubborn. One's an antique shotgun, which I will definitely stick with truoil, but I might go with bedliner on the marlin model 60. It's an oldre one, so something I use more for experiments.

------------------
        TANSTAAFL

"Progress is made by lazy men looking for easier ways to do things" --L. Long

Comment

Oh, wood only. I gotcha now.

To keep the Brownell's from clogging you have to shake this stuff like there's no tomorrow. I mean shake it until you think you've shaken it enough and then shake it for two more minutes.

After you're finished spraying, turn the can upside down and press the button until only air comes out then wipe the spray hole with lacquer thinner.

------------------
          "It was people who upheld their duties to their office, the constitution, and the public by opposing Hitler who were called traitors"
          "...a historian asked what had happened to the German people for them to accept a criminal government. Unfortunately, nothing needed to happen. In nations across the world people accept government crime."
          "In democracies as well as dictatorships, subordinates illegally obey their rulers. Subordinates who remain true to their oaths of office by opposing their rulers are rare."
          [I]Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation...Strategic Air Command[/I]

American by birth, made from German parts from Emmingen, Baden-Württemberg

An unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!

Das Leben ist zu kurz, um billiges Bier zu trinken!

Comment

Welcmoe aboard FNG! Heyhummn I mean Mr Mitch!

You are working with a great group of members here. My on-line time is limited right now. It is good to know I have some quality help here.

For fun sometimes I like to post some links in the Mosin and Mauser forum. 762x54 just loves it when I spam the forum! wink`wink.

Again welcome aboard FNG!

Good SHOOTin,

Death Merchant
            \"Respect, Honor, Discipline\" ....My Values for Life!

Comment

DM, don't even THINK of leaving me alone here! LOL
              I'm gonna try to help as much as I can---you can always can me-----!

I know the gang here is a good one and I lucked out if I just don't insert foot in mouth.

Spamming other sites, huh? Hmmmmm.....

Arrrrgggh! I almost forgot---are you ready?

I did "DA BUMP" today! Not real good, but she really burrrrrped! NOW you have competition! HehHeh.....

------------------
              ..MrM

[This message has been edited by TheMrMitch (edited 26 June 2002).]

USMC 1959/1963

Comment

I've used the Brownells stuff too, with succes in two cases and failure in another. The difference in the three uses is that the thrid time I didn't degrease as good. You have to use adegreaser that leaves no residue. Carb cleaner may work, or brake cleaner, but I recommend TCE degreaser. It is some heavy duty stuff. The bake on lacquer says to use in adequate ventilation, but the TCE is the storngest stuff I ever used. I thought I had adequate ventilation (and have worked with solvents for years, so know what it is) and I was sick for a full day later. Adequate with this stuff means Outside! ..with the wind blowing...

I tried OD green on my 590 and it has held up good. It is time for a recoat though as reinstalling my heat shield scuffed it up and I didn't get it as thick as I wanted.

I also used some satin black on a 9200A1 barrel after installing ghostring sights. It stuck like superglue to the degreased phosphate.

Next I did an A3 stock for an HK91 and it didn't stick to the rails good.

I will be trying some Norrells Moly finish soon on my 590 and my 220 in OD and on my 229 and A3 stock in sating black. I will report the results and try to get some pics. This will all happen in the next couple weeks.
                The Norrel is $49 with an air brush and compressed air can, plus the moly finish. Supposed to be enough for 1 or 2 long guns or 3-4 pistols.

Comment

Working...
                X