CALLING ALL STOCK REFINISHERS!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CALLING ALL STOCK REFINISHERS!

I need some help. I recently purchased a pair of factory Sig grips for my P220 from CDNN. I think they were probably factory seconds. One, because the price was 40% off Sigs price and two, they were pretty rough out of the box.

There was a couple of spots where the checkering file hit the border and nicked it and they had not been finish sanded. I think they gave up on them after nicking them.

Anyway I finish sanded them by hand using a 240, 360, 500, and 1000 grit paper on the smooth areas of the panels. I was just going to wax them, but I wanted a hi-gloss finish so I used Min-Wax Polyurathane. Now, I've had good luck with using this stuff in the past.

This time after the first thin coat the grips have these little bitty pin-point bumps in some areas. I brushed the grips off before coating and I tacked them off too. This is got me scratching my head. The temp in the basement is at 70F and humidity is at 49%.

I'm looking for that hi-gloss finish that you find on expensive trap and skeet shotguns and hi-end rifles.

Can someone offer some suggestion on what might be causing this and a corrective action?

This is the second time I've done this. The first time was not good at all. This time is not nearly as bad, but I can still see those tiny pin point like bumps in some spots.

?????????????

------------------
    "It was people who upheld their duties to their office, the constitution, and the public by opposing Hitler who were called traitors"
    -------------------------------------
    "...a historian asked what had happened to the German people for them to accept a criminal government. Unfortunately, nothing needed to happen. In nations across the world people accept government crime."
    "In democracies as well as dictatorships, subordinates illegally obey their rulers. Subordinates who remain true to their oaths of office by opposing their rulers are rare."
    [I]Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation...Strategic Air Command[/I]

American by birth, made from German parts from Emmingen, Baden-Württemberg

An unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!

Das Leben ist zu kurz, um billiges Bier zu trinken!

Herr Walther
    I bet you are using a brush.

Try spray Polyurathane.

Comment

I did. A natural bristle brush 1" wide.

I've never though about using a spray finish. I didn't think it would hold up as well as a brushed finish.

The grips are dry now but not yet cured. I guess they look OK. I'll try the spray on the next set. I hope the Min-Wax comes in an aerosol.

------------------
      "It was people who upheld their duties to their office, the constitution, and the public by opposing Hitler who were called traitors"
      "...a historian asked what had happened to the German people for them to accept a criminal government. Unfortunately, nothing needed to happen. In nations across the world people accept government crime."
      "In democracies as well as dictatorships, subordinates illegally obey their rulers. Subordinates who remain true to their oaths of office by opposing their rulers are rare."
      [I]Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation...Strategic Air Command[/I]

Comment

Tru-oil by birchwood casey - use your finger to apply in thin coats, allow 24 hours drying time between coats, and rub with very fine steel wool between and clean with denatured alcohal before re-application.

This is the same method used by the US Marine Corps Silent Drill Team and presidential honor guard on their M1 garands.

I have used this method with great sucess in the past. much better finish than any poly-urethane will ever give.

Warning, your hands must be clean, and you must hang/set the piece in room with little or no dust (bathroom is great!)

HTH! and Good luck!

------------------
        DEO VINDICE!
        Motstå

Comment

If you are dead set on polyurethane, you have to thin it, rub it in with a lint free cloth or your fingers, then hang it in a closeable cardboard box. Use fine steel wool between coats. AND HAVE PATIENCE! Fine work cannot be hurried.

------------------
          If you must be a rock, be a precious stone.
          If you would be a bird, be a white dove.
          But if you are to be a human being, then be a revolutionary.

Remember, last one out turns off the lights.

Comment

No, I wasn't dead set on the polyurathane. It's just that that's the only thing I knew of that would give me the gloss I was looking for.

AK-74, does the B-C True Oil produce the mirror finish I'm looking for or is it more of a satin finish?

Dan, I'll try your suggestion on the next set of grips I do if I decide on the polyurathane for them.

Last night after the first coat dried about 2200, I hit them with some 0000 steel wool and used a small modeling brush to go over them again. I made sure I had a wet edge on every pass. After the poly settled out they looked pretty good.

This morning they look really good. Not quite cured yet I don't think, but they look a lot better than right after they dried last night. The finish is mirror shiny and most of the little pin-point bumps dissappeared or are very difficult to see unless you get your face right down to them.

I guess this was a learning lesson in using polyurathane.

Thanks for your tips and suggestions. I refinish more firearms than I do wood. Metal is not so tempramental as long as it's clean.

If you guys have anything to add, please share.

Thanks.

------------------

Comment

Birchwood casey Trueoil is great for bringing out the color and grain on fine gunstocks....as long as you are gentle with it. Urethane topcoats are tough as nails! A few coats of urethane from a rattle can over the BC will give you a beautiful gun that can take lots of abuse!
              Ahab

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Herr Walther:
                No, I wasn't dead set on the polyurathane. It's just that that's the only thing I knew of that would give me the gloss I was looking for.

AK-74, does the B-C True Oil produce the mirror finish I'm looking for or is it more of a satin finish?

Dan, I'll try your suggestion on the next set of grips I do if I decide on the polyurathane for them.

Last night after the first coat dried about 2200, I hit them with some 0000 steel wool and used a small modeling brush to go over them again. I made sure I had a wet edge on every pass. After the poly settled out they looked pretty good.

This morning they look really good. Not quite cured yet I don't think, but they look a lot better than right after they dried last night. The finish is mirror shiny and most of the little pin-point bumps dissappeared or are very difficult to see unless you get your face right down to them.

I guess this was a learning lesson in using polyurathane.

Thanks for your tips and suggestions. I refinish more firearms than I do wood. Metal is not so tempramental as long as it's clean.

If you guys have anything to add, please share.

Thanks.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

High Gloss finish. If you use wax on it, it will make it more satin.

Not the best photo, but you can see it is a gloss finish.

------------------
                DEO VINDICE!
                Motstå

Comment

Resand. Use very fine steel wool and clean good. Use small blow torch over grips (this will fry minute imperfections), re clean and use SPRAY polyurethane.

------------------
                  ..MrM
                  Kentucky Proud! Been there, done that! The sheeple WILL flock to the protectors' fold in time of need. I am a protector.

Eighty-Six MILLION legally armed Americans caused NO harm yesterday.
                  Youth And Brawn Are No Match For Age And Treachery.
                  I'm Old And May Not Fight. I'll Shoot Instead.

USMC 1959/1963

Comment

Working...
                  X