bobbing the hammer on a snubnose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bobbing the hammer on a snubnose

I recently bought my wife a S&W Mo 36 .38 sp and want to bob the hammer to make it easier to carry in her purse. I was thinking about buying an extra hammer so I could restore it to original configuration.

what do ya'll think?

Be sure and do a polish job on the frame and hammer at all contact points.
    Do not use a reduced power main spring with a bobed hammer.

As far as a replacement hammer goes they are usualy far from drop in so think about it first.

Id just buy a used 640 and be done with it.

------------------
    VERITAS VINCIT
    VERITAS VINCIT
    A CRUCE SALUS

Comment

or check this puppy out: http://www.taurususa.com/m850.html http://www.taurususa.com/m651.html http://www.taurususa.com/m851.html

------------------
      VERITAS VINCIT
      VERITAS VINCIT
      A CRUCE SALUS

Comment

I got the Mo 36 by trading my 22/45 even for it, It was the best deal I could make.

I wanted to get her a titanium hammerless, but no one in their right mind would make the trade for one of them.

Comment

I don't believe that would have any problems out of the gun,if you bobbed it's hammer( after taking the gun down/apart first) . I repaired a partially broken hammer about year ago ,the gun works fine.

Comment

Do what all the cops I know do to their 36s.
            Wear it in an ankle holster for awhile and jog on some asphalt. Eventually the gun will fall out of the ankle holster and fall on the hammer, dont ask me how this happens but the hammer always gets snapped off. Then take your dremel tool to the rest of it, Im telling you this system has worked for 15years trust me.

------------------
            Non Gratum Anus Rodentum
            MOLON LABE!
            VOTE FROM THE ROOFTOPS!

Comment

I can't speak for the model 36 but I know
              a few people who have bobbed other S&W
              and Ruger revolvers and have had unreliable
              primer strikes due to the reduced mass of
              the hammer.

I hear some have solved the problem with
              a stronger main spring but it depended on
              the model...

Anyhow - considerations.

Comment

I bobbed the hammer on my S&W Mod. 29. If its case hardened, you will need to break the hardening with a file before you cut the pad off. I used a hacksaw. It would only skip across the hammer until I got the cut started with the file. After I got it off, I just shaped it up with a file. I also filed the single action notch off so it was truly DAO. I never had any problems with light strikes or misfires. I also cut the trigger down and smoothed it out as it was the wide target type.
                “The enemy is anybody who's going to get you killed, no matter which side he is on.”
                ― Joseph Heller, Catch-22

Beware of associating with "Cheap" Squirrels. They tend to be very narrow minded, hypocritical, and will gag you if you question or disagree. ;)

Comment

Working...
                X