Kit suggestions Milled or Stamped??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kit suggestions Milled or Stamped??

You guys are a wealth of info, what are the pro's and cons of each type milled and stamped. Also since most of the new to near new kits are either Polish or Bulgarian which is prefered? Also consider that the button head machine screw method will be used.

sprptx: The button head screws would be for the stamped receiver.

MILLED RECEIVER
    Pros
    Sturdier (perceived as higher quality)
    Most have threaded barrel attachment (don't need hydraulic press to put barrel in)
    Lower U.S. parts count required to be legal (receiver incorporates trunions)

Cons
    Higher Price

STAMPED RECEIVER

Pros
    Cheaper

Cons
    Weaker (perceived "cheaper" quality)
    Rivets
    Press required to press barrel in

As far as polish and bulgarian demilled kits, they both are very nice.

Comment

If you are going with screws, you will want a stamped receiver. The barrel will already be pressed into the trunnion with the correct headspace (check it), so all that is needed is to insert the barreled trunnion into the receiver, drill, tap and screw.

A milled kit may very likely have the barrel pressed or screwed into a receiver stub. Removing that barrel pin will be some work!

Comment

Bulgie milled kits are pressed into the receiver. I think the Hungarian kits out there are threaded.

Milled receivers are heavier, but IMHO they are easier to work with (No rivets or screws in your case).

All stamped and the Bulgarian milled kits will require the barrel being pressed in. So you will need a press.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ugh!:
          I think the Hungarian kits out there are threaded.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've never seen a threaded milled receiver in person so I have a curiosity question.

How does one headspace a threaded milled receiver? I assume by turning the barrel in or out a bit?

If thats the case, TDC on the barrel is variable, and only known when screwed into a receiver. How would you use the barrel from a parts kit where TDC has already been selected?

Comment

Not sure how you would use one with a threaded receiver. However people were turning down the barrel threads and pressing them into Bulgarian receivers.

Comment

Working...
            X