Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Laws Regarding Building from Part's Kits???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laws Regarding Building from Part's Kits???

Looking for info and advice on the legal end of building from a part's kit. I will be using homemade receiver and an AK part's kit. I know about using the needed number of U.S. part's ect. But am interested in the rules regarding, Does it need to be serial numbered or otherwise marked? Can it ever be sold or given away? How many can be made? One per year? or more? Any info appreciated.

I replied to your original post with detailed information.
    http://assaultweb.net/ubb/Forum1/HTML/224030.html

Comment

Thanks for the Link BlackBird and Welcome to the Forum. You make some very good points.

The big issue to be concenred with would be if the weapon in question would come under the NFA regulations.

Death Merchant

------------------
      "Respect, Honor, Discipline" Values for Life!
      \"Respect, Honor, Discipline\" ....My Values for Life!

Comment

Thanks for the info, The rifle in question would be built just as (legal) as my SAR's are. Required number of US part's, no bayo lug, no flash hider, ect. I was more concerned with the legalities involved with markings, possible ownership change down the road, and number of weapons that can legally be built for one's own use. While I have no intention of ever selling any weapons I may build, I just wanted to know. Once again thanks. Also I would be interested in any info on any handmade receivers. Steel type? Thickness? Heattreated? ect. I am currently exploring some different avenues including the use of stainless to do a stamped style receiver with. Opinions Comments welcome

Comment

Just got done on a homebuilt AK-74 receiver with a bulgarian parts kit. It is truly a shame to throw away perfectly good parts to meet the U.S. parts requirement and grinding off the bayo lug and brazing the brake, which takes off the finish, ...sigh! But I digress.

I used 4130 .050" bent on a 20 ton hydraulic press then drilled/milled openings, upper rails, magwell, etc. Lower rails from same material but square tubing (to avoid that extra bend). Spot welded in place. Spot heat treated at hammer/trigger pins.

Frankly, it was not that difficult but it does require the equipment. There is just no way to do this with common shop hand tools. I was incorrectly told that the AK-74 had many differences from the '47 and that no '74 receivers were commercially available. This turns out to be largely untrue (OK, maybe the ejector needs to be a teeny bit longer, but not much. If I had to do it all over again, I would just get an Ohio Ordnance receiver and save the hours of work and expense on jigs, madrels, etc. Assuming I build no more, this receiver cost about $100 in materials for it and the jigs, etc. Yes, the second one would be about much cheaper but I really don't think there will be a second.

You CANNOT do this cheaper than buying one. The only reason I would do this ever again would be because there truly is no alternative. I learned a valuable lesson, though, research, research, research. If I had done that instead of just taking the word of some people on a forum that shall remain nameless (who obviously had never actually seen an Ak-74), I would have purchased the OO "Universal", drilled the trunion holes and gone on.

Hope this helps.

PS - The steel rivets for the front trunion of a stamped AK are a REAL PAIN IN THE @^%! Go milled if you just want to build something but don't want to suffer.

[This message has been edited by blackbird (edited 04 April 2002).]

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by blackbird:
            PS - The steel rivets for the front trunion of a stamped AK are a REAL PAIN IN THE @^%! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, that's while I drilled and tapped the trunnion and used button head machine screws. At first glance nobody can tell the difference. I used loctite to secure it, but I suppose you could use silver solder paste as well.

Thanks to CampyBob for the idea.

No thanks to the people who poo-pooed it because "it wasn't correct". Sheesh, this is a do it yourself type forum...

Comment

Raider,

I would have gone with some nice Holo-Chrome or Textron button heads but the trunion holes on this bulgarian kit were already too big for #10's. Going to #12 didn't leave enough "meat" around some of them for comfort, so I got stuck doing the rivets.

I have done some riveting on aluminum homebuilt aircraft but these steel rivets are a WHOLE different ballgame. Yech!!!!!

I ruined the first receiver I made when the press slipped while pressing in the last rivet. I gave up for a couple of days, collected my thoughts and gave it another try. It was not easier the second time, just a little luckier I guess.

Comment

The Ohio Ordnance/ITM receivers didn't have holes, just like the one you made. I just picked a different location than the standard rivet holes to drill.

Comment

Working...
                X