another psuedo full auto idea: electrically enhanced Bump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• another psuedo full auto idea: electrically enhanced Bump

This is brought up for discussion purposes only, comments about the legality of this idea would be great. It came about in a conversation in the chat room.

Remember the selonoid operated trigger idea? Here's a twist on the whole thing that I think has promise.

Imagine having a selenoid with a 8 lb thrust installed on a semiauto rifle so that, when energized, it pushes the trigger FORWARD, resetting the trigger and disconecting the sear. A circuit could be designed so that the selenoid cycles at about 500 RPM.

If you had such a device installed, on a rifle with a 4 lb trigger pull, a steady 7 lb trigger pressure would result in the rifle firing every time the selenoid denergized.

Your finger physically depresses the trigger for every shot.

A pull on the trigger harder than 8 lbs would result in a single shot.

The electric plunger would only reset the trigger, so even if the battery died or it stopped working, you would be back to a regular semiauto, instead of a non functioning rifle.

whatchathink?

I've thought along the same line except instead of a solenoid using spring loaded mechanical linkage tied to the bolt/carrier. It would be interesting to do up the drawings and send them to the BATF for their verdict.

Comment

I'm thinking that trigger slap would be a bear... but otherwise all you are doing is adding a trigger return.
      Killing for the sake of honor is no longer allowed in our decadent society<br /> more\'s the pity, as it would greatly improve manners.<br />- - - - -<br /><a href=\"http://www.cloud9photography.us/\" target=\"_blank\">Airplane Pictures</a><br /><a href=\"http://crankylabs.com/gallery\" target=\"_blank\">Cranky Labs Image Repository</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.a-human-right.com/\" target=\"_blank\">A Human Right</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.olegvolk.net\" target=\"_blank\">Oleg Volk Photography</a><br />- - - - -<br />I\'m Amish Bill, and I approved this message.

Comment

I dont know about what BATF would say , but I do know that that system would WORK. I use a paintball marker that has a responce trigger that operates prety much in the same way. The device uses bleed off co2 instead of electricty to operate the solenoid/plunger that resets the trigger in the forward position. Ther rate of fire is adjustible by varing the flow of co2 through the device. The rate of fire adjusts from single up to about 11 bps(balls per second)
        ---snip---

The response trigger kit increases your trigger speed by resetting the trigger and sear with excess gas during firing. This gas is used to operate a cylinder behind the trigger to do the resetting. The pressure of your finger on the trigger pulls it back to fire the next shot. The speed is determined by the amount of flow through the knurled adjuster on the side. The upper limit on the rate of fire is set by this adjuster. This kit does not prevent you from switching back to the original setup of the 98 custom.
        ----snip----

Bill I can see that it probably would be a bit diffrent on a actual firearm, but with the paint marker the trigger just kind of pulses under your finger.
        FWIW ,
        echo6
        Disclaimer
        ALL NFA rules apply dont bulid it w/o ATF approval

------------------
        www.floridashootersnetwork.com

[This message has been edited by Echo6 (edited 15 March 2002).]

Comment

Electric trigger mechanism allowing a semi automatic firearm to fire full auto are illegal.

Mike

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hard Rock:
            Electric trigger mechanism allowing a semi automatic firearm to fire full auto are illegal.

Mike
            <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did you read the thread?

Comment

Apparently he didnt. For it to be a dreaded machine gun it must fire MORE than one round with each pull of the trigger or must be easily converted to.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ISC:
              Did you read the thread?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Comment

I don't know about electric, but a mechanical reset mechanism is legal because I know a man that went to court over his trigger resetting device and it was determined in court that it was not considered a firearm under the NFA. It fits on a 1911a1 pistol and replaces the grip. It does not require any modifications to the pistol. The ATF took Mr Warin to court over it because it worked so good. Because it lifted your finger off the trigger until the slide was locked and then let the existing pressure of your finger to fire again and again until you quit pulling with your finger or until the firearm was empty. I even have complete prints of it. Mr Bardwell's site has the court case in it. Mr Warin also designed one for the Marlin camp carbine. I put that design on cad and have that ready to be built. Since I am not a machinist I am going to find someone to build the devices for me. The problem with a solenoid is that you could have an out of battery firing. If it is a mechanical device, it can be designed for only firing when the bolt is closed. If anyone would like to know more about this devce, let me know.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ISC:
                  Did you read the thread?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep... the problem is, assisted reset is fine as long as it requires the user to still release the trigger for the reset to be accomplished. If it doesn't, then the ATF has ruled that a machinegun.

Here is the problem... most resets that have come and gone over the years are adjustable and hence the ATF has made them contraband.

Mike

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BarrelBurner:
                    I know a man that went to court over his trigger resetting device and it was determined in court that it was not considered a firearm under the NFA.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That may be the case law in the circuit area where it was tried. Anybody living outside of that area is fair game for a new law suit.

Comment

Damn, You guys can really make my day. I mean it really shows that the human spirit can overcome any effort at restriction. Just think how the antis have tried to take away firearms that would meet the real need of the 2nd ammendment. The harder they try the more ideas we come up with. Damn I love this country!

Comment

Working...
                      X