Carbin-izing a Turk Mauser.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carbin-izing a Turk Mauser.

I have cut 10 inces off the barrel and the stock, and have inlet the wood to replace the endcap/bayonet lug at the new end of the stock. I just finished filing off the OD of the barrel, re installing the front sight, and soldering it in place. It is cooling now.

I want to turn the bolt down tonight at welding school, and am considering replacing the rear sights with peeps or a bigger notch.

I wanted to do a simple first mauser project before starting the .45 acp conversion.

I'll get some pics ASAP

I ended up learning alot from some mistakes I made on this. I broke the sear, and when I rewelded it, I warped it, so now the trigger is off center. I wasn't able to reinstall the endcap and bayonet lug, and the seam between the front sight and the barrel is kinda shoddy.

It looks OK, and is completely functional, but if I had paid someone to do the work I would be pissed about the trigger and demand a replacement sear. Anyone know where to get a Mauser sear cheap?

Comment

ISC >>>>

When I can get a chance I think I have one in my Shop. I will let you know. BTW Did you get the Snail Mail?

My current Turk Mauser Project consists of installing a 7.62x39 Barrel, On a Turk Mauser. I picked up the Reciever only from FAC. The Barrel Kit came from Gun Parts Corp. I recieved the small ring threaded Barrel, since the threads on my action were of the Small Ring type.

I will be posting information on the project soon.

Good SMITHin,

Death Merchant

------------------
      "Respect, Honor, Discipline" Values for Life!
      \"Respect, Honor, Discipline\" ....My Values for Life!

Comment

What did you do about crowning the new muzzle?

Comment

It turns out that when the rifle fell off the bench, I bent the trigger in addition to breaking the sear. I staightened out the trigger in my bench vise, so it is centered in the trigger guard again. the sear is still slightly warped from the welding though, and it has alot of slack in it.

I haven't crowned the barrel yet, I was planning on welding a 3/8" ball bearing to a 1/4" rod and using valve grinding compound and a VSR drill.

I am planning on putting a 7.62x39 barrel on a carcano, info about a mauser conversion to that caliber would be great.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ISC:
            It turns out that when the rifle fell off the bench, I bent the trigger in addition to breaking the sear. I staightened out the trigger in my bench vise, so it is centered in the trigger guard again. the sear is still slightly warped from the welding though, and it has alot of slack in it.

I haven't crowned the barrel yet, I was planning on welding a 3/8" ball bearing to a 1/4" rod and using valve grinding compound and a VSR drill.

I am planning on putting a 7.62x39 barrel on a carcano, info about a mauser conversion to that caliber would be great.
            <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ISC - For home crowning, just chuck up a FMJ .45 ball projectile and then use lapping compound.

The ball bearing may damage the crown intstead of doing what you want it to.

All you need is a 1/2 inch chuck drill or adaptor available from Home Depot.

------------------
            DEO VINDICE!
            Motstå
            New Dawn Survivalist Confederation

Comment

Can you elaborate on the re-crowning procedure? I have a Yugo SKS on the way and I want to cut the barrel down and re-crown, but not sure how to go about it. Hm, while you're at it, what's the best way to cut a barrel down? Hack saw a vise?

------------------
              "When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny."
              --Thomas Jefferson

"The purpose of government is to rein in the rights of the people." -- William Jefferson Clinton

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to
              shoot back with your own gun."
              The Dalai Lama

"Life is tough.
              Life is tougher if you're stupid."
              John Wayne

Comment

you need to remove a bit of metal from the OD of the barrel to get the front site back on first. about .080" if I remember right.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DEATHMERCHANT308:
                  ISC &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;

When I can get a chance I think I have one in my Shop. I will let you know. BTW Did you get the Snail Mail?

My current Turk Mauser Project consists of installing a 7.62x39 Barrel, On a Turk Mauser. I picked up the Reciever only from FAC. The Barrel Kit came from Gun Parts Corp. I recieved the small ring threaded Barrel, since the threads on my action were of the Small Ring type.

I will be posting information on the project soon.

Good SMITHin,

Death Merchant

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

DM, if you ever get that Mauser to eject the 7,62 short properly please tell me how you did it. Mine Shoots and loads fine be ejection is real weak.

[This message has been edited by bulletslap (edited 03 August 2002).]

Comment

Bulletslap &gt;&gt;

Sorry for not posting sooner. I have not addressed the issue of Ejection yet. It is one of my concerns however. I will Advise soon.

If you are like me you to many Damn Projects and not enough time to finish just one of them.

Good SHOOTin,

Death Merchant

------------------
                    "Respect, Honor, Discipline" Values for Life!
                    \"Respect, Honor, Discipline\" ....My Values for Life!

Comment

Working...
                    X