Soften the blow - Ruger Red Label

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soften the blow - Ruger Red Label

I recently purchased a ruger red label over under shotgun and was surprised by the amount of recoil. Was wondering about getting it ported, is it possible on an over/under and what would it cost. Any other suggestions on reducing or dealing with the recoil?

JohnnyMac,

Please do NOT drill holes in such a fine shotgun, as they'll only make your ears hurt, will make your shooting buddies ears hurt, and can only reduce the muzzle flip (rise) by a small amount.

Drilling holes in the top of a barrel will NOT reduce the recoil coming straight back at your shoulder. Only a proper muzzle brake with angled ports or deflection vanes can do that.

Fortunately for you and your elegant shotgun, there is an equally elegant solution ... try a GALCO recoil pad at $49.95. It's pretty upscale, but has very beautiful leather and stitching, has a 1/2 inch soft gel pad, and comes in different sizes to slip over and fit tightly to different size stocks. I haven't gotten one yet, but am planning to treat myself to one for the same reason. I did some research and thought these looked to be the best of the bunch.

Try starting here, and then click into their "Sporting Collection" catalogue on the left side of the page, then scroll down to the recoil pad.
    http://www.usgalco.com/ContentFrame....nSelection.asp

The only downside, if it is one, is that it adds 1/2 inch to your length of pull. This may also be a good thing if you are above average in height and have long arms. Ruger probably makes the shotgun stocks to fit the average shooter.

If it doesn't help as much as you need, in the recoil department, then try lighter loads. Every kind of shell, from the 7.5 trap to the tactical 00buck, now comes in a "Reduced Recoil", or "Lite Load".

Now, if you are still hurting with a pad and Lite Loads then you might think about going with a fine gas-operated gun, such as the Beretta 390 (now at WalMart for under $600. Look into the popular Shotgun Report web site, and go into their "Update Section" for info on these). http://www.shotgunreport.com/Updates.html

Happy shooting.

------------------

Lex malla, Lex nulla

[This message has been edited by Logan7 (edited 28 January 2002).]

Comment

Logan7 thanks for getting back to me. The galco recoil pad sounds great but unfortunately I just had 3/4" taken off the length of pull and don't really want to put 1/2" back on again. The recoil isn't that bad however I do find I shoot less when I go to the range now. I'll try the lighter loads though and hopefully they'll improve things for me.

Comment

This is probably too obvious but have you tried the shooting jackets with the padded shoulder?
        <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JohnnyMac:
        Logan7 thanks for getting back to me. The galco recoil pad sounds great but unfortunately I just had 3/4" taken off the length of pull and don't really want to put 1/2" back on again. The recoil isn't that bad however I do find I shoot less when I go to the range now. I'll try the lighter loads though and hopefully they'll improve things for me.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Comment

Lonegunman, I was hoping it wouldn't resort to that. I've actually been putting them off because I was hoping for another solution. It may just come to that yet though.

Comment

Is it possible that the stock doesn't fit you correctly, or are you monting the shotgun like a rifle?

Most rifle shooters mount (place the gun on their shouler) on the edge of their shoulder and shoot across their body. Properly, a shotgun is placed in the hollow between the shoulder and neck, and shoot straight away towadrds the front. that way, you don't get that bone jarring whump of recoil! I have shot 500 clay bird marathons without any problems!
            Befoer you do anything drastic to that pretty shotgun, find a trap orskeet shooter and get him to show you what I have described! It will make you a better shot and your shooting more pleasant!

Ahab

Comment

You can also have the forcing cones lengthened. This helps somewhat.

Comment

do you reload ?

Comment

No I don't reload but do plan to one day.(When I get the money to buy the equipment)

Comment

Working...
                  X